Chainsaw Carving

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Here are a few pics of the local guy who has been doing some carving in the area

IMG_6287.jpg
IMG_6288.jpg
IMG_6289.jpg

Here is my one and only attempt at carving so far

Last edited:
John

For wood I like to use white pine, because it gets lots of small cracks, rather than a couple large ones when it dries, its soft wood and carves easy when green, and doesn't weigh alot, when the finished carving is dry. I use all kinds of wood tho, having prefered wood for some carvings, red pine makes nice gators,and turtles because of the wood grain. I hold down smaller blocks with 4" or 5" 5/16 lag bolts, and toe nail them down, using a cordless 18v drill with a 7/16 nut driver onto a 3 foot block i use as a carving table.

As for bars and chains, most saw shops should be able to order carving bars, dime tips, and quarter tips.....(meaning the size of the tip of the bar),(also check out Baileys logging supplies online) . Ya gotta run 1/4 pitch chain on these bars, and prolly need to set up your saw with a sprocket to match.

The lo pro bar and chain that i use on the 346 is a 16' laminated bar off of the smaller husky's, its a 3/8 pitch, but the lighter weight of the bar, narrow kerf, and smaller tip, all fits togeather to make a light and fast cutting saw.

As for preparing a bloch to carve, I just start carving untill I'm done

Heres my web site with some more pics on it
Master of the Chainsaw

Hi Matthew,

I can not down load your pictures, red x and unknown host!

Want to try again? :)

John.

Hi Chainsaw Master,

Have had a go. Used some poplar, made 3 mushrooms & 3 kids chairs. Not perfect, can tell what they are & the kids could sit on the chairs. I am slow, but really enjoyed doing them.

Think I have to visit the shop, see if they have anything, (bar/chain) in stock, or get prices/availability.

Liked your web site, especially the pictures of the bears. I wish, If only, I can dream ;)

Thanks.

Tonka56 said:
I love chainsaw carving!! I can't believe how talented some guys are. I'd like to learn how someday.

Post more pics please! :cheers:

View attachment 36832

This is one of my latest.A giant cherry log. Most colors are natural, I shadded the rocks and colored the grass, then just clear.:)
Mark

I'm suggesting (sp) a forum under this heading. Before you boys start bucking, hear me out. This first of all, I'm thinking this is an arborist site. right,..., so,... Chainsaw Carving is certainly an extension of that. Chainsaw Carvers use chainsaws. And, chainsaw carvers race. And chainsaw carvers utilize dead trees. And chainsaw carvers go onsite to carve dead trees. There's alot of carvers out there that log and do tree work,...and stuff. ????, you saw builders ought to know what I'm getting at. http://www.carvingpost.com/ I'm interested in this art, we have some member/carvers/loggers with awsome websites. A post I thought was cool, Darwin, with you permission.

OK Mike, you got it :hmm3grin2orange:

Yo 346 xp!

Here's a carver and his carving. I took the picture in either Bonneville or Tupper Lake about 15 years ago.
John
Honey of a small saw for carving! love it! only carved with one stock, out of the box with a 14" bar, 3/8 lp chain wished i owned one so I could decloth her, and take her for a 1/4 pitch dime tipped ride, may be able to afford such discraces some day, but for now will stick to cheaper tanaka, red max, and stihl small saws...Been carving for over 15 years, have seen, and tried a lot...

I know this is an old thread and the contributors may not even be around to respond to my question.

My question is are some of you guys using other tools to get that fine detail in your carvings. It is hard for me to think that all that fine detail work can be done with just a saw and a carving bar. If you are using other tools what are you using??

Latest posts

Back