My new saw

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Build Right

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
So gentleman , let me say this right off the bat. I am not in any way shape or form a professional logger or tree removal expert. I am a builder with my own company with 20+ years experience working with my hands and professional tools. I have owned for two years a jonsered 2255 which honestly did the trick for me until recently. I know better than to try and take down trees or use the saw in an unsafe way while cutting , I mean I need my hands guys for work! Anyway, recently we had a hurricane come through here on the island and downed some pretty hefty oaks. They were easily 20”-24” thick. I personally was spared but my neighbor was not. He was actually away while his wife was home. A nice size oak (24” thick) came down across his driveway trapping his cars/wife from being able to go out and go to work. I immediately went over and went to work. Again I’m not an idiot and worked the tree in a very safe manner. So obviously guys my 2255 was at its limit . Yes it worked (I run a 20” TsuMura bar) and yes it got the job done but boy it took me two freaking days, and the saw was really struggling the entire time. So, enough was enough. I just picked up a cs2186wh , yes the model with heated handle. It’s essentially pretty new and although I paid a pretty penny ($600) I’m really hoping this will do the trick in the event this ever happens again. So my questions to you guys are this, I picked up a cheap tachometer off amazon. The model where you wrap the wire around the spark plug wire to get the reading... at full throttle the damn thing read almost 12k rpms!! Not good I know. I turned the high limit down until I hit the limit and was able to bring the full throttle rpm limit to 10.5k rpms... I’m thinking that’s still too darn high right ??? Should I attempt to remove the limiters and bring the rpms down to around 9k or should I bite the bullet and bring it to a professional to do it ? Also could my 19.99 tachometer be incorrect ? My final question is do you think this is the saw to tackle these monster oaks ? I myself am having a professional come to drop two ridiculous oaks in my own yard as a precaution . I notice ants on the tree this summer. These oaks are 30” across guys ... thank you for reading this and I’m new here so take it easy on me. Again I am a professional builder and I use serious tools every day, just not really the chainsaw all that often . Maybe 4 times a year to cut up small fallen trees for a campfire ...

Attachments

• 598841FC-D434-49F7-B152-E54F560F24EA.jpeg
    598841FC-D434-49F7-B152-E54F560F24EA.jpeg
    3.5 MB · Views: 29
  • CE93FA92-C4EF-4897-ABBA-BB11B9D2210D.jpeg
    CE93FA92-C4EF-4897-ABBA-BB11B9D2210D.jpeg
    2.3 MB · Views: 36
  • 929E4CFB-35AF-4EFA-8AD7-285D15B7FAE8.jpeg
    929E4CFB-35AF-4EFA-8AD7-285D15B7FAE8.jpeg
    3.4 MB · Views: 33
Thanks for replying , much appreciated. I did download the manual , was actually the first thing I did when I got the saw. The manual actually states that 9600rpms is the maximum for this model !!! I also did a quick search here and people have mentioned 9600 as well. I’m not sure if my inexpensive rpm gauge is just wrong ... my 2255 does seem to turn more rpms than this bigger saw , I just don’t know why even at the lower limit on the high limit adjustment , I’m still turning 10+k ...

Actually, the manual says 9600 rpm is where power peaks. Not the same as maximum rpm....
The Jonsered is essentially an 85cc Husqvarna saw in different clothing, and the larger Husqvarna saws seem to have rpm limits at about 12.5k - 13k rpm. The Husky 385xp, which is the equivalent model apparently, has a max rpm listed as 13k rpm. If you are not sure how to set the saw up, you should take it to a saw shop and have them do it.

Makes total sense now that you mention it . 9600 being the Range in which max power is outputted. I was honestly just afraid I was leaning out the saw, but the plug doesn’t show that so I guess it’s ok. I’m going to find a reputable saw shop in my area and just have them go over it anyway. It’s worth it because I intend to keep this saw and honestly it will see little run time . I just wanted a saw that could potentially handle whatever gets thrown my way in my area . The 2255 is a great saw and does 99% of whatever I’ll ever need, I just want to be prepared just in case !!! Thank you for replying , I actually feel much better now

Sounds like a plan . I ran a tanks worth today just messing around with a small pile that still needed cutting at my neighbors . I actually kept the rpm/hour gauge on it just to see. The saw ran great, idles perfect and was topping out around 12.5k when out of the wood . I like the fact that when the Oiler is turned all the way up it really does a great job of keeping the bar/chain oiled real nice. I run a 24” on it and keep the Oiler set to the middle setting . This saw has plenty of power , more than I honestly need. Thank you to all for replying with very helpful info . Greatly appreciate and great community here

Welcome to AS Build Right.
That looks like a great beginners saw :rock:.
If she's running at 12.5 out of the wood it's probably tuned just fine.
Nice saw by the way.
Any pics of the trees:chainsaw:.

Thank you very much chipper1. I’m digging the saw for sure. It’s hands down the most powerful saw I’ve ever used ... sort of . I do have a 16” 90cc partner cut off saw I use to cut out my egress windows. That’s got some crazy gyro action to it but the chainsaw pulls harder . I have pics of the tree cut up. The 2255 struggled through the thickest parts, this saw does not, especially with a 24” bar .

Thank you woodfarmer ... and thank you all who have contributed. What an awesome community of people here . I cleaned up the 2255 last night, took this pick, and put the saws away till the next adventure . Something tells me I’ll be running around the neighborhood cutting up anyone’s trees that happen to fall

Attachments

• B81C6602-01D8-4064-A951-FFE378BB88D2.jpeg
    B81C6602-01D8-4064-A951-FFE378BB88D2.jpeg
    6.2 MB · Views: 23

Latest posts

Back