Chainsaw chain

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

vince

ArboristSite Member
Reaction score
How many chains do you forestry guys have? Do you use different chains for specific wood and when do you use a skip chain. I was just wondering if the different style chains make a difference in different wood

I try to keep around alot of what I use manly and acouple of the ones I only use occasionally. I have around 10 20inch chains 15 24 inch chains 4 28 inch chains and 6 36 inch chains. I run skip tooth on most of them. I usually don't use a different chain on different types. Some of the rotten wood I will use an old chain and bar.

No because of the rotten wet wood dulls chain quickly and If I hit bugs and junk I would rather it be with a old bar and chain then a new one.

I have 3 18" chains, 2 16" chains, 2 20" chains, and thats about it. note, I have in most of those, one is a chisel, the other would be semi chisel so I have a chain for any and all cutting needs imaginable.

i got two 18" chains and one 16" chain and bar (bar needs a new tip) the 16" is only used for dirty and rotten wood i save the 18" for felling and bucking clean unrotted wood I am not cutting full time at the moment as I spend time in the classroom studying for my general forestry requirements certification.

Lets see... 20 race chains, 1000 ft. of used chain in various lengths, gauges, pitches and conditions and about 400 ft. of unused chain. So I'm good for at least 2 more years.
John

If I counted mine I'd get depressed as then I'd know how many I need to sharpen... ;) Need to stop collecting chain and wear some out.

Non- 200t saw : I keep a handful of sharp 16, 20, 28, 32 and 36 around. All .050 3/8 except for the 088's .404 stuff. Almost all skip chisel, but there's a bunch of full comp chisel floating around that get used now and then. I only change "type" when I need to cut really dirty wood, roots or stumps, and then I just use any old beaters of any type. Think of them like "rock skis", a.k.a. "who cares what you hit"!

I do have a few "safety chains" (gasp!) that I use on my E20 electric saw. Demo work, nails, conduit sheetrock - it's the right choice.

I also run 3/8", .050 on all of my saws, except the 200T. I run Stihl RS or RSF (24-28"+) in standing timber, and run RMF in wood that's been on the ground, like the stuff you get from clear cuts and that sort of thing. I run the RM cutter in dirty wood because it'll hold a more usuable edge longer than the RS.

Jeff

pricing

You guys running stihl chains, where are you buying them? :confused: I have bought one or two from the local stihl dealer, but I can get Oregon chain from the catalog guys for about half the price the stihl guy.

Mine are almost ALL carlton chains. well except for my square chisel chain, which is oregon 72CK, and very nice.

I run stihl, woodsman pro and acouple of oregons the only reason I got them was because I was in a bind. Stihl are much better less stertching and they stay sharp longer.

Oregon_Rob said:
You guys running stihl chains, where are you buying them? :confused: I have bought one or two from the local stihl dealer, but I can get Oregon chain from the catalog guys for about half the price the stihl guy.

I get mine from my Stihl dealership. They may cost more, but I think it's a better chain, and when you pay for shipping and having to wait for it to show up, I'm happy paying what my dealer charges...which to be honest, I'm not sure what it is. If I need a chain, I buy a chain. I don't shop around.

Jeff

what are the different applications for your chains. you guys have so many how many go with you when you go cutting

Oregon_Rob said:

I used Stihl chain a long time before I worked for a stihl dealer because I "thought" it was better. A long time later and seeing a lot of other brands, I still think it is better. :) If you don't like the loop price, buy it by the 25 or 100 foot roll, and you'll be much happier. Share the cost with your friends. Some dealers offer buy one at full price and they give you the second chain at a 50% discount (Madsens offered this while ago and it may still be in place). Most dealers will give you a big discount for just handling the full box roll and if they don't buy it from Madsens.

At my local dealer he has a sale in early fall every year and it is buy 1 chain at regular price and get a second chain of same caliber for 1$

so far this year between 2 tree crews we went through about 6 100 ft rolls of 3/8 050. and 2 rolls of 3/8 LP and half a roll of 3/8 058 .i have about 2 and a 1/2 rolls in my basement and 4 more on order.

that would be a quite a few bucks if i was buying loops at my local stihl dealer.

Latest posts

Back