Chainsaw event Newaygo Logging Festival looking for ideas and competitors Sept 3rd

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

johncinco

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
The city of Newaygo, Michigan has an annual Logging festival every Labor day weekend. This year it is Sept 2-4. They have a chainsaw competition that is open to anyone. It used to be a lot bigger, and you would see some famous and infamous names bouncing around. There are cash prizes for some of the "professional" classes. They used to have an antique class, but dropped it. I have talked with one of the sponsors on numerous occasions, and they really want to get the chainsaw part of the festival back up. They usually have a "Stock" contest, everyone uses the same saw and chain, and its really meant to get some of the crowd out and let them take a few swipes with a saw.
They would be happy to add an antique category if they can get enough people to participate. I think we are talking pre-1980 to be included in the category. I have been asked for some input, and to spread the word to see if we can round up a few more participants. My recommendations so far include some ""Show" and some "Go". I would like to see a category for best renovation of a saw in as far as looks and presentation. I have seen some pretty snazzy paint and powder coating on saws, but maybe they are not the best woodcutters any longer. Just have them on display with judging by the public. Second I want to see some cutting for speed, with classes of under 60cc, 60-75, 75-100 and 100 up. If we cant get enough saws in those categories, we will have to combine a few or see what people want to run in.
If you are interested in showing up and running your old beast, please let me know what you would like to see and I will see if we can accommodate you. If we can generate enough interest, they will offer up some prizes, either cash or some merchandise from local business. Don't make me be the only one there with my Mac 1-51 taking all the glory!
They have some classes to compete in for other stuff, I don't have them here with me right now but I will get them and post up for anyone interested. Again, they are open to ideas from the participants. I am not sure on the Stock and Stock looking side of the competition, I think they just go on CC size, as what you are saying it is, and assume everyone is a "professional". From what I hear its all landscaper type guys now and the "loggers" have stopped showing up.
Newaygo is located in Western Michigan, 40 miles North of Grand Rapids, 40 miles East of Muskegon. There are several hotels and camping areas nearby. Logging FestivalNewaygo. Naturally.

John,

If it was not Labor Day weekend I would come up. We go to tractor show that weekend that has been a family tradition since the 1950's.

Bill

Yeah being the big labor day weekend its hard to get to sometimes. The chainsaw events usually start in the afternoon and last a couple hours, so its easy to get to and back out of without taking up the whole weekend.
They have a couple other events as well, the water boiling contest that is always hilarious to watch. Used to have axe throwing, but I am not sure if they will this year or not. They are looking to add log rolling, but are having a hard time finding some water to put the log in. I suggested the kids trout pond, but don't think the trout farm that sets up the pool would like that!
I'll post up as I find out more details.

CRAP! That's Flywheelers weekend and I'm already committed.

Lemme see if I can wasel out of it. Sounds like fun!

Got an Old Homie that could use a tune up, and a pop up. LOL!!

Stay safe!
Dingeryote

Back