Chainsaw Files - How Long Do They Last?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

leeave96

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
How many sharpenings do you get out of chainsaw file before you have to replace it?

I ask because I broke a chainsaw file of mine that I had used for a long time (long to me) with a new one and the difference in cutting was dramatic! I guess the old file dulled gradually over time and I didn't notice.

So - how many sharpenings do you get out of a chainsaw file?

Thanks!
Bill

Depends on chain

I find they hardly last at all on Stihl chain - a few good sharpenings of 18" chain and they just seem too dull.

On oregon chain I can get a lot more - maybe get through 2-3 files over life of chain?

Hard to say as I've never kept track of it.

I can see a file lasting quite some time. You shouldn't be buying more files than chains, that's for sure.

Your biggest factor is what type of file you use. Personally i use a sweedish file thats one of the best in the world. It probably wont go dull for a LONG LONG time. Your cheaper files are the files made in china and Japan which (for a good one) will last for 2-3 chains if Maintained properly. Kept clean and used in the right manor.- I did get this information from my father who is a machieneist hoped it helped

files

i have been using timber savage files up here in maine, they last a lot longer then oregon files do.i think they are swedish, even those are not as good as they were just 2 or 3 years ago. ive been going to try stihl files but they never have the at the shop,anybody used stihl files before?

i have been using timber savage files up here in maine, they last a lot longer then oregon files do.i think they are swedish, even those are not as good as they were just 2 or 3 years ago. ive been going to try stihl files but they never have the at the shop,anybody used stihl files before?

Yes...not all that much better than any other brand...I file for 1 reason...to get a sharp chain...and if the file aint doing its job it gets a toss in the round file...and another comes out of the box...

I dont have time to count how many strokes a file gets before it gets tossed...

My god ladies they are $12 a doz...if your that worried about a $1 or 2 then why cut your own wood...ever think about what your labor costs?...yes add in filing time to your labor costs...and filling up the saws and hell add in each step you take...

Suddenly the guy who ONLY wants $200 for a load wood isnt such a rip off artist now is he?

mine last about 10 years ,since i bought a grinder i would rather swap out a rocked chain with a like new sharp chain ,than waste time doing a soso job at the jobsite . once in awhile i touch up a chain on the bench just so i dont forget how lol so my reply is a file lasts 10 years if used sparingly lol jk

every file lasts 23 sharpenings or 5,234 strokes whatever comes first. Proven fact and its common knowledge

next question.

This would have been really good if you would have done per DL. But a Bold statement and generalization such as "sharpenings" make this down right just somewhat believable. :laugh:

No kidding on that. Just got to see the inner workings of my knuckle since I didn't "have time" to go retrieve my gloves. A few cutters were dinged pretty good, I was pushing hard, trying not to get too deep in the gullet.....slipped.

As for file life I've got several 20" loops of RSC out of one stihl file easliy. Keep the file brushed clean. WEAR GLOVES.

File life

It depends on how hard you use them. I figure one file for 3 sharpening s then retire it to the shop for other uses.

Or use good files, use a wire brush to clean, and keep using them for far more than three sharpenings. :cool2:

No kidding on that. Just got to see the inner workings of my knuckle since I didn't "have time" to go retrieve my gloves. A few cutters were dinged pretty good, I was pushing hard, trying not to get too deep in the gullet.....slipped.

As for file life I've got several 20" loops of RSC out of one stihl file easliy. Keep the file brushed clean. WEAR GLOVES.

I dont wear gloves and just use a sharp file....i really like timber savage the most. The key to getting a chain to really cut is to file the gullet out of it...you dont want to file into the straps...but you know what i mean...just to the bottom of the tooth...the gullet has more effect in how the chain cuts than you know...basically with the gullet in it..it holds the cutter back from being aggressive and actually cutting and feeding itself into and through the wood. Try it sometime.

Latest posts

Back