How do i file these rakers/depth gauges

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Flap disc on angle grinder or trash can.

Trash can is probly the best tool to take care of them.

Oregon ‘Vanguard’, low kickback chain (also sold under a few other brand names).

https://apps.oregonproducts.com/pro/products/chain/72v.htm
View attachment 1054804

View attachment 1054806

Flat file the depth gauge only in that small, marked area.

Philbert
When I learned to sharpen chain depth gauges were not available so had to eyeball them. The OP must visualize the raker slightly down from the top of the cutter tooth after it has been sharpened or as the chart says .025". A good flat file will take the rakers down in a few minutes easy peasy. A decent flat file that is between 1/2'' and 5/8" works just fine. I advise OP to file too aggressive untill chain is vibrating or shaking so they know that they have gone too far. Then they will be a little careful about taking the rakers down. A reasonable set up will not need much pressure when cutting. If you have to push down on the saw to get wood cutting your rakers are too tall. Some thing many people forget is that if the rakers are too tall the chain will dull quick because cutters are sliding over the wood with out grabbing a chip on its pass. Thanks

View attachment 1054762View attachment 1054764
I just acquired 10 chains that have never been sharpened for pretty cheap. However, I just noticed they all have these weird raker. How do I file those? Just gradually shave off the top? Any ideas? Thanks
Draive stamped 80, suspect- HUSQVARNA H80 CHAIN= 3/8-050? Not sure, but thinking THIS STYLE raker gage will work w/ flat file: Otherwise= Bench GRINDER STONE? https://www.ebay.com/itm/2042392477...1291&msclkid=d4377b2f191a18af524718d7386c7b55

I know this is old thread, can you use a 2 in 1 file guide on these?
Great question!

I don’t know. My guess is ‘no’.

The 2-in-1 works for basic sharpening, but some people still have problems with it.

STIHL probably won’t give you a straight answer, since Vanguard is an Oregon product, and vice-versa.

But Pferd invented it, and Husqvarna has / had a version of that chain (Husqvarna has the older / original 2-in-1 file ‘Sharpforce’), so you might get a clear answer from those guys.

IMG_6193.jpeg

Philbert

Sharpforce is old version. 2 files instead of 3. Have to reposition file to sharpen the other side.

A little simpler. A little less expensive. I don’t know if it has any advantages in terms of control.

Philbert

Back