Chainsaw for clearing large area

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Elias

Reaction score
I need to clear almost three acres of thick pine. The pines are only one to three feet thick but there are a lot of them. I have been looking into a few professional chainsaws, however I don't know what would be too much or too little chainsaw. Stihl 440 was my first choice but then I saw reviews that it may be too much for my work. Looked at 250s and see they may be too little power.

I need a saw that can run for a good part of the day and cut these trees pretty quick too. All pine, at least 300 trees.

I'd suggest two saws, because of the nature of the job.

A Dolmar PS-6100 (or one of the 60 cc Echos) for felling & bucking- the heavy stuff. 20" bar w/full-comp or 24" w/skip chain. Or both. The new Dolmar is smooth, around 4.5 hp, and runs for ~1 hr on a .8 liter tank. Strato scavenging really boosts fuel endurance.

A RedMax GZ4000 or Dolmar PS-421 for limbing. 16" or 18" bar to cut whatever will fit. Maneuverability counts here- really reduces fatigue factor and increases safety. You'll likely use this saw most. Both the RedMax and Dolmar will totally blow a Stihl 250 away, with essentially the same price. (Stihl's power ratings are a joke.)

Any combo from the above, in spite of pro quality, will set you back much less than the Stihls. Hard work-no problem.

You'll want a few plastic wedges- 5" & 8", chaps & combination helmet, and competent chain sharpening "kit"- Granberg clamp-on guide will make that work routine and simple. (Sharp chain is essential.) A sturdy cant hook will make it much easier to roll logs.

You'll generally get best results on chainsaw stuff here, in the Chainsaw forum.

Welcome aboard, and let us know how it goes for you.

If you have a significant number of 36" diameter pines to take down, I would consider a 70cc pro saw to be a minimum requirement. 044/440/441 and the 372xp are both more or less designed for the task you have in front of you. Of larger concern is your safety. It sounds like a big job, please be careful, especially if you don't have much experience with tree falling

Having "to much" saw probably won't get you hurt. Having to little saw will. You'll struggle with it... and get tired... then get sloppy....then Oooops. I can't comment on any of the saws that CTYank recommended because I haven't used any of them. But a 2 saw plan is a good idea. I have used the 044 and I own a ported 372. Both will eat that kind of wood (avg 18-24") all day long. That being said, you'll get really sick of using it for limbing purposes. Most times I use my husky 338 once the tree is one the ground. This saw might be a little pricey for your job. A husky 350 wearing an 18-20" bar would be my next choice. I know the 20" is a much for a 350. The extra length rarely gets used and it keeps you from having to bend as much.

^^ it is a good idea on the paper mill...round here the mills are all hurting for wood, can't get enough right now so they're paying good. could be completely different where you live though

Anyways, I'd for sure say two saw plan for this job, I would say stihl 660 with 36" b+c, or husqvarna 395xp with 36" b+c, and a stihl 090 for limbing :D

ok just kidding about the 090, jonsereds 2253 would be a great limbing saw. if you can find a husky 346 they're same as 2253 but orange in color and made by husqvarna. stihl 026/260/261 also good limbing saws.

Wow guys, this is awesome. I've been looking for answers and all I had to do was ask the right people. Thank you. I'm going to try the paper mill idea, and if they pay well enough, use the money to buy one of these saws to clean up what they leave behind.

No matter what I do, I'll be safe about it, thanks again for the replies and I'll post what I used to get it done.

I am also a fan of the 60 & 40 cc combo. It should be more than enough fot your job as long as you keep your chain sharp. If you go by the papermil idea(which I personally find a great idea) then do get the Dolmar 421 as your cleanup saw! Built like a pro saw made for the very ambitous user.

Not to knock anyone, but I feel if a person has to join this site to ask what size saw they need to cut trees with some being up to 36", that person probably has no business even taking this kind of work on in the first place. 3 acres of any kind of trees is a whole lot of trees. Even if you find someone to log it, cleaning up the aftermath will require a considerable amount of labor. It may look fun and sound like a doable task to go whack down a bunch of trees, but in reality it's a really easy way to get yourself killed or maimed for life if you have no clue what you are doing. Regardless of what you do with the trees have you thought about what to do with all the stumps? Those things can be real mothers to get out of the ground.

Not to knock anyone, but I feel if a person has to join this site to ask what size saw they need to cut trees with some being up to 36", that person probably has no business even taking this kind of work on in the first place. 3 acres of any kind of trees is a whole lot of trees. Even if you find someone to log it, cleaning up the aftermath will require a considerable amount of labor. It may look fun and sound like a doable task to go whack down a bunch of trees, but in reality it's a really easy way to get yourself killed or maimed for life if you have no clue what you are doing. Regardless of what you do with the trees have you thought about what to do with all the stumps? Those things can be real mothers to get out of the ground.

Don't have to yank them out. With that much stump work, you should be able to get a good rate hiring a stump grinder. If you're a quick study and a worker, you might want to see about renting a grinder. Of course, Elias might opt to let nature take care of them after cutting them short. What say, Elias?

And to assist nature, after flush cutting, I like to bore into the stump with the bar tip. At least the length of my hand a few times to achieve a kind of star form. With that rotting goes even faster.

The paper mill here leaves the land pretty rough looking when they leave. I'd like to turn one acre into more back yard and start an orchard on the other two acres. I have no problem with limb and tree clean up but they turned my neighbors land into a mud hole. Will that help or hurt the trees I want to plant? I know doing it myself is a big job and I have plenty of time to take to do this.
If I do have to do it all, I'd grind the stumps on the close acre so I can take my yard out. The rest I could let rot and benefit my orchard, right? I've got the supplies on the way, saving up for the felling saw then I can get started. I've got a husqvarna for the limbing.
Last chainsaw question, am I making a huge mistake by going to craigslist for a saw, or as long as it's looked over at shop am I good to go?

Coming from both landscaping and tree work, not that I don't love cutting trees, but if you're saving up for a falling saw, then it makes way more sense to have the mill come in, clear it in a matter of days, then put that money towards reclamation and landscaping. If you do it yourself, what is your plan for moving and processing 3 acres of pines? Dropping trees is fun, but then the real work begins.

There's no reason you couldn't allow the mill to offer you say for 2 acres, let them take the trees out and wood away. Then use the money they have you to get a nice saw or two to do the third acre as and when you please.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

You don't have to have the mill come do it, surely there's other logging companies by you...no? Ask around and find a company who has a good reputation.

Latest posts

Back