Chainsaw guard dog...

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

avalancher

Arboristsite Raconteur
Reaction score
I have a lab, named abbigail, and she has started the weirdest thing. When I drop my saw on the ground, she will almost always come over and lay down next to it. First I thought well okay, she is just hanging out where the action is, but a few days ago while cutting in the woods I set the saw down a long ways from where I was cutting. She jumped out of the trailer where she was hanging out and went over and layed down next to the saw. I decided to test her out.
Yesterday I cut with a neighbor, and after laying my saw down a ways from the truck and she mounted her guard I told my neighbor to go over and pick up the saw.
As soon as the neighbor picked up the saw, she ran over to me and started winning and really looked upset. As soon as he dropped it to the ground, she resumed her guard. She doesnt do anything when I pick it up.
As a side note, she will only perform this task for the 372, not any other saw that I have. I put a short 20 inch bar on the 372, and she would still mount her guard, but the 455 with the same bar she could care less.
I thought maybe it had some smell on it that she could tell the difference, but after a thorough washing and degreasing, she still can tell the difference between the saws.
Guess I dont have to worry about this saw wandering off.:clap:

She sure knows a good saw when she sees one ! :clap: My dog also has alot of interesting quirks...... i just embrace them ! I'm long past trying to figure out why he does what he does. :dizzy:

My Lab gets upset with all chainsaws and weedeaters even if they aren't running. He barks at them like they were an animal.

I think your Lab is in love with your 372. What would you call half Lab and half Husky puppies?

Lady, My flat coated retriever is the best equipment guard dog I have ever seen. Anything that I work with becomes something that she wants to protect. Maybe it's retriever instinct, but I have read that some dogs quickly identify with anything that the master uses. If someone else were to pick up that equipment or try to use it without the master's approval, the dog will become very territorial. Females tend to be more territorial than males.

Lady and Abbigail would make a great team! :greenchainsaw:
LadySmaller.jpg

Psst! Not much is tougher than getting a good picture of a jet black dog.

Man that is kinda cool. Too bad that she is not a Husky, there might be some cash to be had from commercials eh?

Latest posts

Back