chainsaw guide bar interchangeability

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

LometaCedarWhacker

Reaction score
Hello,

Is is OK to use a 56 link chain on an Echo CS-370 if I also use the appropriate size guide bar (a spare Oregon 16 inch guide bar built for a 56 link chain)?

The Echo comes with a slightly longer guide bar (still called 16 inch) and a 57 link chain. I know I can't put the 56 link chain on that bar. But if I use that Oregon guide bar and a 56 link chain, am I going to damage my Echo?

Here's the deal. I had a Poulan 16 inch for years that worked great. Bought a new Poulan several years ago and it never worked. Gave up and bought an Echo. So I have these like new chains and a new guide bar for the new Poulan that won't work. I'd like to be able to use them on the Echo if I can.

If you can mount the 56 dl on the bar and have enough stretch to properly tension the chain you should be good, if the chain however is too tight you will prematurely wear the bar and sprocket but perhaps more importantly your saw will not perform as it should. You can easily have a link added to the chain's if this is the case.

It will work fine. Poulan used the A041 mount for their small saws just like Echo. Almost everyone uses the 56dl 3/8 LP chain for those, but Echo uses 57, otherwise they are the same. I've gone the other way using a 57 DL bar on a Redmax, that also is a A041 mount. The 2 things you are primarily concerned with are: does the bar slot fit the studs and do the oiler holes line up to allow oil to the bar. You can check the first when you install the bar and the second by pointing the bar at a light colored piece of wood and revving to medium revs to see if there is oil coming off the bar.

Welcome to A.S.!

Common wisdom is that ECHO uses a slightly less common chain length so that consumers will come back to buy chains from their ECHO dealer. The 56DL. 3/8 low-profile chain ('S56') is one of the most common chains sold in hardware stores and home centers, but will not fit on the standard ECHO bar. You can use both on your saw, as long as you match the correct bar and chain loops. I do the same thing on my ECHO CS400.

Philbert

yeah I figured it was something like that. If it wasn't such a good saw, I'd be offended :) Actually the first Poulan I bought for about $100 was amazing. Lasted more than 15 years with minor service. Admittedly I'm just cutting cedar, but I was amazed at that saw's longevity. It also started a whole lot easier than the Echo ever does. Almost feel like I should bury it like a pet dog.

Latest posts

Back