Chainsaw hell

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Only in the summer, Edisto, only in the summer.

I've got more firewood this year than I can burn in a SC winter, how about you?

I've been here 3 years and haven't seen a winter yet!

I'm originally from Canada, so my saws have been pretty much idle since June. I'm hoping I can start cutting in another month or 2 without melting or dying!

Roy is one of "my guys" too,but Wallace Gusler deserves to be mentioned as a Master Craftsman in several fields.(A pretty amazing guy,Google him up.)

Great...now I have more books to buy!

I used to hunt with a caplock, but with some 'tuning' and a little work on the touch hole, my flintlock is now much more reliable than the caps I can find. In fact, I haven't had so much as a hangfire since I reworked the touch hole.

attachment.php

It's what this guy drinks because beer is too rough.

Why does Dexter always walk around like he has to take a super secret dump

Norm's a wanker...Roy Underhill is my guy!
Yeah, Roy's pretty helpful...

I just got this roughly flattened this last night...will finish it today and drill for the bench dogs and holdfasts.

There's a patternmaker's vise that goes on the end, kind of unusual setup, but I like it. It's off the bench in this pic to flatten it.

attachment.php

What king of wood did you use to build the bench?It looks like Maple in the picture.Are you going to put a few holdfast holes down on the legs?

Roy had Wallace Gusler on one of his episodes doing relief carving on furniture.That was during the time Gusler spent in the "Furniture Department" at Williamsburg.He was carving Caribbean mahogany(almost unobtainable these days, the best comes from Cuba so it has to change hands several times before it can find it's way to the U.S.).Truly amazing craftsman.

Last edited:
Yeah, Roy's pretty helpful...

I just got this roughly flattened this last night...will finish it today and drill for the bench dogs and holdfasts.

That's awesome! I have a base I made from a piece of deadfall pine (squared the pieces with a broad hatchet and finished with a jack plane) a few years back, but I'm still looking for wood for the top. It's a lot shorter though because space was/is tight.

What king of wood did you use to build the bench?It looks like Maple in the picture.Are you going to put a few holdfast holes down on the legs?
Yes, on both points. It is hard maple, and I will be putting holes in the legs (and possibly the stretchers) for holdfasts. I'm gonna finish that up today.
Roy had Wallace Gusler on one of his episodes doing relief carving on furniture.That was during the time Gusler spent in the "Furniture Department" at Williamsburg.He was carving Caribbean mahogany(almost unobtainable these days, the best comes from Cuba so it has to change hands several times before it can find it's way to the U.S.).Truly amazing craftsman.
I tried to google for him, but it seems he was mostly a gunsmith, and worked as the gunsmith at Williamsburg.

That's awesome! I have a base I made from a piece of deadfall pine (squared the pieces with a broad hatchet and finished with a jack plane) a few years back, but I'm still looking for wood for the top. It's a lot shorter though because space was/is tight.
That bench is not as big as it looks, it's 6' long, and 27" wide. Here's a bunch of pics from the build, I'm slow to finish it...:-/

16:1mix.....you got it.......

Worse....no trees!
That's the bad news, the good news is you won't be alone!

16:1mix.....you got it ALL WRONG!

There WILL be trees! However, every one will have one or more steel fence posts in them! You will be cutting just fine and then the sparks will fly!

Man, am I ever thankful for Jesus's work on the cross so I don't have to experience that!

Regards

Dan

That bench is not as big as it looks, it's 6' long, and 27" wide. Here's a bunch of pics from the build, I'm slow to finish it...:-/

You don't know the meaning of slow...I finished my base in 1998. I used pegs for the mortice and tenon joints on the stiles so I could break it down and move it. So far I've moved it 3 times!

I did have a temporary top, but it was pine...I just cut it down to make a small table for my wife to sell her soaps on at a local shop.
attachment.php

Apart from ripping the lumber with a table saw, the only electricity involved was running through the lightbulb.

I can't wait for the weather to get cooler so I can start milling my own lumber with the 076!

Edit: the apparent curvature on the table is from the camera lens...I swear!

Yes, on both points. It is hard maple, and I will be putting holes in the legs (and possibly the stretchers) for holdfasts. I'm gonna finish that up today.

I tried to google for him, but it seems he was mostly a gunsmith, and worked as the gunsmith at Williamsburg.

Yes,he was the Master gunsmith for many years.The powers that be at Williamsburg realized that his numerous talents were somewhat "overlooked" in the gunshop.Not too many ladies had any interest there,so he was moved to the Cabinet and Furniture Shop as the Master craftsman.Everyone has an interest in quality furniture, so he moved into that job.Keep Googling around,you'll find a little about his tenure there,but much more has been done on his gunsmithing skills.(Those include woodworking and carving,blacksmithing and engraving and brass casting and inlay work and he excelled at all these.)

I did have a temporary top, but it was pine...I just cut it down to make a small table for my wife to sell her soaps on at a local shop.
attachment.php

Apart from ripping the lumber with a table saw, the only electricity involved was running through the lightbulb.
I didn't get to work on my bench yesterday, but did get some chunks of wood to cut up with the carving bar...lol

I broke out the #8, hope to get to the bench today. That plane is like the U.S.S. Missouri, if it don't make that wood surrender, I don't know what will...lol

Just wanted to say this is a great looking table. I prefer to work with hand tools myself, although I typically will dimension my timber with power, I prefer to do all the assembly, fitting, and detail work by hand. I built an office in my backyard, and half of the space is used for hand work, and that is where the bench resides. My general work flow is to dimension my lumber in the garage using my power tools, then finish it in the backyard shop with hand tools. So peaceful working with hand tools...I enjoy it.

Your table that you made above is very tasty, I like arts & crafts style, which it reminds me of with the breadboard ends. The legs remind me more of Creole or Federal period, shape wise, but the breadboard ends give it that arts & crafts look. Nice job, I bet your wife is very happy with it. The Hall Bros. had some similar tables in some of the Greene & Greene work they did, as I recall.

Did you cut that wood with an Alaskan Mill? (you mentioned up in the thread)

Would love to hear details on your Alaskan Mill, what size saw your using, how much work it is to keep the chains sharp when milling, etc...I have a friend that has one but rarely uses it as he says it's more work than it's worth, but honestly...wood is expensive to buy milled. I would probably need a bigger saw to use in an Alaskan Mill. I've seen some people get 1200 bf of lumber milled up with an Alaskan Mill in a weekend, stickered and in storage to dry.

As one who has visited the chainsaw underworld, I can attest to how it really is. There are big screens everywhere with Youtube videos of dumb, untrained homeowners acting all cool with their WildThings and XM-40's. There's lots of cheap laminated bars and safety chain laying around, along with every imaginable crap-o saw. The background music is the sound of a lean-running cheap saw with a dull chain trying to cut something way too big for it.

The way I got out is even better, I dug even deeper, through the letters that spell "Husqvarna" that crumble away when you step on them, cleared the chasm with the help of a Lewis winch and dodged the 42" bars on 660's that decapitate the unaware trespasser. What I found at the end was amazing, new spools of 1/2" chain, new-in-box 070's and 090's and the grand prize, a Mac Super 797 Kartsaw with a solid gold casing and signed by Bob McCulloch.

Did you cut that wood with an Alaskan Mill? (you mentioned up in the thread)

Would love to hear details on your Alaskan Mill, what size saw your using, how much work it is to keep the chains sharp when milling, etc...I have a friend that has one but rarely uses it as he says it's more work than it's worth, but honestly...wood is expensive to buy milled. I would probably need a bigger saw to use in an Alaskan Mill. I've seen some people get 1200 bf of lumber milled up with an Alaskan Mill in a weekend, stickered and in storage to dry.

The wife is waiting for me to build a shelf for the bottom and some shelving unit for the top (I figured she can put stuff to sell on it while I'm building), so her only comment was "I'm sure it will look nice when it is finished."

I'm afraid I know nothing of styles...I just steal ideas from things I see, and piece together what I can out of the scraps i have available. I'll get more refined at some point...

I just got the mill (and accessories) this summer, and it has been too hot for my Canadian blood to get out and use it. It'll probably be a year or more after I start before I'll have some seasoned wood to play with...but it will be worth the wait.

I thought that upgrading my 61 to a 272 (still in progress) would give me enough saw for milling, but after doing a bunch of reading, I bought the 076. You pretty much need to be north of 80cc, and the bigger the better.

I just got the mill (and accessories) this summer, and it has been too hot for my Canadian blood to get out and use it. It'll probably be a year or more after I start before I'll have some seasoned wood to play with...but it will be worth the wait.

I thought that upgrading my 61 to a 272 (still in progress) would give me enough saw for milling, but after doing a bunch of reading, I bought the 076. You pretty much need to be north of 80cc, and the bigger the better.
I see, I'll be on the lookout for something reasonably priced with a big engine, to use for milling possibly. Would be nice to have in case one runs across a fallen tree...;)

Here's the bench, finished it up.

attachment.php

attachment.php

I see, I'll be on the lookout for something reasonably priced with a big engine, to use for milling possibly. Would be nice to have in case one runs across a fallen tree...;)

Here's the bench, finished it up.

Damn that's a beautiful bench! Very nice work.

I chose the 076 for milling based on price and the endless torque. Here's a thread where I asked for advice on a milling saw.

Very pretty bench.Did you make the holdfasts yourself,they look hand-made (as they should)? How does that leather protector work out,any transfer of oil from the leather to the wood?I would think a piece of tractor tire innertube would work as well,not period though.

Back