Chainsaw hell

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Damn that's a beautiful bench! Very nice work.

I chose the 076 for milling based on price and the endless torque. Here's a thread where I asked for advice on a milling saw.
Thanks for the compliments and the link, I'll read through that thread. Would like to have one to be able to mill-on-the-fly someday.
Very pretty bench.Did you make the holdfasts yourself,they look hand-made (as they should)? How does that leather protector work out,any transfer of oil from the leather to the wood?I would think a piece of tractor tire innertube would work as well,not period though.
The holdfasts were made by Phil Koontz, up in Alaska, he made these for me before he turned most of the holdfast biz over to Jake. These have a bass clef on them, I'm an upright bass player. Oddly, I use a bass clef as my touchmark on my own blacksmithing and saw making. I had Phil make these for me before I started blacksmithing...Here's a pic.

attachment.php

As for the leather, I just put it on there last night, so not sure. My first impression is that it is a bit soft, maybe wood might be better, I saw Chris Schwarz had some he made out of wood. I really like holdfasts, they work well, are simple, and don't cost a lot. The leather I used is 16 oz, so it's about 1/4" thick. I might try a piece of slightly thinner leather, I have some 7oz.-8oz. that might work better. OTOH, when the leather compresses from being used, it might be fine with the thicker stuff.

Back