Chainsaw hours ?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I am just trying to figure out how anyone could actually say how many hours their saw has. With a saw it is usually on and off so much how could you keep track without a whole lot of documentation.

i think it's guesstimation. if you use a certain saw for a certain percentage of your work and you know how often and how long you work you can figure it out fairly closely.

I am just trying to figure out how anyone could actually say how many hours their saw has. With a saw it is usually on and off so much how could you keep track without a whole lot of documentation.
Most won't do this but you can get close by keeping up with fuel used.

Here is a formula we use to determine the hours of useage on a saw used in production cutting of hardwood firewood in a wood supply yard.
52 X 5 = 260 X 8 = 2080 hrs per average year. and fuel consumption is also monitored closely. Approx 8 fill ups per day consuming 216 fl oz or a little less than two gallons on a average day. A tank of fuel consumed approx each hour X 8 hrs. so 8 tanks per day = 216 fl oz X 260 days = 56160 divided by 128 =438.75 gallons per saw each year.
A Stihl 044 or a Husky 365-372 lasts 1.5-2 yrs on average under these conditions, good chain will last 2 - 3 days and a good pro bar will last 3-4 months.
Pioneerguy600

The old saw shop owners from the 60's and 70's said around 2000 hours on a Poulan Super 72. They use to say that when the starter cup wore out the loggers would throw a handful of dirt into the starter so it would start and then keep the saw running all day long.

back in the early days, many two strokes had iron bores, and it was really uncommon to get more than maybe 100 hrs of use. Iron rings in an iron bore, using iffy oil. Filled rings helped a little, but not much. Eventually the rings got glued into the grooves, blow-by cleaned a lot of the oil off the cylinder walls and things went south in a hurry.

Then came along chrome bores. Some lasted well, some were flaky. Really...as in chrome flaking away. And we still had problems from iffy oil and carbon build-up.

Nickasyl and clean-running synthetics have changed all that. BUt all the same, I'd suggest that its rare for saws to exceed 2000 hrs...besides the humorous post I made earlier! A 50cc saw should have no trouble delivering 3 hp...thats roughly 100bhp/liter. But it IS delivering near its peak capacity most of the time. That's a little like expecting a high-performance car to last 2000 hrs times 60mph (120k) while pulling a trailer heavy enough to require the pedal on the floor most of the time.

There are a few million McCullochs that reputiate that statement.

Latest posts

Back