"Chainsaw Lumbermaking" by Will Malloff PDF Project

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
pdf file

Anyone get "file damaged and can't be repaired" ? Doesn't matter if I try to view it or download and then try to view. Down loaded several times and same result.

Anyone get "file damaged and can't be repaired" ? Doesn't matter if I try to view it or download and then try to view. Down loaded several times and same result.

What's your version of Acrobat? To reduce the file size, I got rid of compatibility options for versions before 6. It still opens up fine for me, so that might be your problem.

BTW I know I'm being slow making the higher-quality file, but you know how it can be over Christmas holidays. Hopefully I'll have a bit more time in the next little while to do it.

Thanks everyone for all the kind words on this one.

Thanks for the book

I downloaded it last night and stayed up until the wee hours of the morning reading it. Sure is a lot of work making lumber his way isn't it?

Thanks for scanning and providing the pdf.

Yeah, it's a lot of work, especially in the bigger logs, but you certainly can't beat the price. I cut hundreds of dollars' worth of douglas fir beams this summer for about $50 worth of gas (even at $1.40+/L) for the saws and quad to haul the wood out of the bush. The other upside is that the cuts you can make are limited only by your imagination, and you can find and cut interesting pieces of wood that would either be discarded as scrap or would be prohibitively expensive. Not to mention that you can't get the same feeling of satisfaction by going to the lumber yard and just picking up any old piece of wood.

Glad you enjoyed the book.

Can I get the large version? I'd like to process it for OCR and get the size down further for you... PM me.

Can I get the large version? I'd like to process it for OCR and get the size down further for you... PM me.

Well, the big master file is 900MB+, so that might not be so easy... I can do OCR here as I have a full copy of Acrobat. However, it won't let me do it unless the file resolution is over 200ppi (the existing one is 75ppi), which I tried, and the filesize was still enormous, mostly due to the index I guess. I still have to play with the settings some more, but like I said I haven't had that much time lately. The other trick is that I'm not sure just how much personal webspace I have to upload the file to, and I definitely can't email something that large. The best option I can think of is BitTorrent, and I'm NOT signing up at some hokey 3rd-party "free" file-hosting site as I don't feel like getting any more spam than I already do. I already have a paid account with Rapidshare which would work great, but anyone without a paid account has to suffer wait times and slightly reduced download speeds (though they're still faster than most "free" file hosters). I should be able to get something figured out in the next few days, I'm back to regular work hours for the time being now.

Well, the big master file is 900MB+, so that might not be so easy... I can do OCR here as I have a full copy of Acrobat. However, it won't let me do it unless the file resolution is over 200ppi (the existing one is 75ppi), which I tried, and the filesize was still enormous, mostly due to the index I guess. I still have to play with the settings some more, but like I said I haven't had that much time lately. The other trick is that I'm not sure just how much personal webspace I have to upload the file to, and I definitely can't email something that large. The best option I can think of is BitTorrent, and I'm NOT signing up at some hokey 3rd-party "free" file-hosting site as I don't feel like getting any more spam than I already do. I already have a paid account with Rapidshare which would work great, but anyone without a paid account has to suffer wait times and slightly reduced download speeds (though they're still faster than most "free" file hosters). I should be able to get something figured out in the next few days, I'm back to regular work hours for the time being now.

Hrm... tis' a problem...

I might be able to figure a way to help you two out. I'll send you a PM.

OK, for all who were waiting, I finally got a higher-resolution file done, along with text recognition so it is now fully searchable. The file size is not all that bad either, 38MB. Especially since this file, at 200 DPI, has almost eight times the resolution of the original 75 DPI file I posted.

I could have further reduced the filesize if I had converted it into a formatted text document instead of a searchable image, but I found the text recognition didn't pick up nearly as many words that way. One thing I did do to reduce the size a bit was remove compatibility for Acrobat Reader versions prior to 7. So if you're using an old version, this file may or may not display for you, but don't gripe because even version 7 is years old and updates are free for the Reader.

So anyway, here you go:

Chainsaw Lumbermaking by Will Malloff, 200DPI, Searchable, 38MB

I uploaded it to Rapidshare because I already have an account with them and it was by far the easiest for now. You don't need an account to download from them, though you may have to wait a minute or two and there is a limit to how much you can download within a certain timeframe. So if you download this file once, you might have to wait an hour or two to download from Rapidshare again as a free user. I also plan on creating a BitTorrent release with it too, and other options have been discussed as well. I will continue to host the smaller 13MB file on my personal space for now, for anyone who would rather have the smaller file for a portable device or something. Can iPods/iPhones display PDFs?

Be sure to let me know if there are any problems with it. It seems fine for me so far.

PS - I tried editing the first post in this thread to include the up-to-date links but there's no option to do so. I guess it must be too old?

Last edited:
just downloaded the latest version.... looks great!

free download site was pretty zippy too. waiting a minute before downloading is no big deal.

the plan is to put 084 to work milling a few boards.

thanks again for all the time put into this..

Oops, limit of 10 dl's reached.... Who is your ISP? They will usually give you 50-100 MB of webspace! (?)

How comes when I click on it all I get is some web page about SHAW and that the page no longer exsist for both of the sections that where put on here? Ok wait, I figured out theirs more post. But now theirs no more to download. Is their going to be anymore chances to download it?
Matt

Last edited:
Brad,
This is the error message that comes up:

Error

This file is neither allocated to a Premium Account, or a Collector's Account, and can therefore only be downloaded 10 times.

This limit is reached.

To download this file, the uploader either needs to transfer this file into his/her Collector's Account, or upload the file again. The file can later be moved to a Collector's Account. The uploader just needs to click the delete link of the file to get further information.

OK, I'll have to get that taken care of tonight. I'm just heading out for the day right now. I thought I had it under my account but I must have messed something up. Patience please! :cheers:

Last edited:
Back