Chainsaw Mill !

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Newfie_1986

ArboristSite Member
Reaction score
I am wondering how well the Granberg Small log mill cuts lumber ? The mill doesn't look too durable ! I want to be able to mill logs from 8" in diameter and up to about 20 ".... The Alaskan MK-III 24" Mill looks more durable should I go with that one ? Also I would like to know how well an 070 Stihl will mill lumber. The trees that will be milled are Balsam Fir, Black and white spruce. I plan on putting a 24" bar on the saw ! How accurate are these mills. The whole reason I am thinking about getting the setup is because last year I had 250 logs milled into lumber by a local saw mill and the lumber was useless... From one end to the other there would be up to 1/2" in the difference in width.. I want to be able to mill accurate and square lumber...

Thanks

I've no experince w/ the "small mill" but ran a 24" Mark III for several years. It os chainsaw milling and is loud dusty and sweaty. As for accuracy, I found it to be as accurate as I wanted it to be, just have to keep your wits about you and develop a system to ensure consistency. Certainly no 1/2 variations like you mentioned. I milled thousands of BF of 1x and 2x stock w/ acceptable results. I miiled w/ a Husky 3120 and had my 288 set up w/ the mini-mill to slab off the sides once I had the top slabbed out to the desired dimension. I could mill 7 or 8, 8',18" diameter white pine logs in about 5 or 6 hours.

I knew a chain saw mill would be slow but ???? ! only 7 or 8 logs in 5 or 6 hours ! The guy who milled the 250 logs I had milled them on a home made circle mill. The guy cut 3 fingers off on the mill the year before (bad design and carelessness).. And he could mill probably 20 logs an hour by himself.. Maybe I should just save for a new Circle mill. Hahaha

Thanks

I have a granberg small saw mill along with a few other chainsaw mills. I really like the small saw mill. It will allow you to cut over 20" with your 24" bar. It is much lighter and easy to use for one person. You would have to go to a 28" bar on the MK to cut the same with as the small mill. Once I slabbed a 30" wide log with the small mill with a 24" bar. I cut from both sides to the middle.

Hey Clyde

I been milling with a mk3 36" and 3120 but when I get down to milling the indivdual cants a smaller saw/mill unit would be nice for cutting my 1X8's. Will that small log mill cut nice and accurate like the mk3 ? It just looks a little flimsy. The big saw/mill unit is a little cumberson atop those 8" wide cants.
Thnx bman

Newfie the Circle Mill I sent my logs to isnt the only one in town that can mill that many logs that fast (as we all know a circle mill cuts fast)! I went with him cause he was the cheapest. The other mills produce way better lumber (I have purchased their lumber before).. I was told this guy cut good lumber too (guess some peoples idea of good rough lumber differs from mine). I would like to cut lumber that is within a 1/16th to an 1/8th of an inch in variation if its possible ?

I read on Granbergs web site that on narrow soft wood it is possible to cut 8 feet a minute... Balsam fir is not overly hard and most of my logs will probably be in the 8" - 14" range as far as diameter and I plan to use Granberg Ripping Chain... Sounds like the Small Log mill isnt too bad thanks Clyde !

I use the Granberg Small Log Mill more often than I use my Mk III. It's easier to use alone and a lot lighter. I haven't had trouble with accuracy, but I pay attention to the bar flex/bend/bow etc, since it's only attached to the one side on the Small Log Mill. After edging and with the smaller wood, I think the small log mill works great.

Tom

Here is one of those mini mills with a big saw attached .'taint nothin but back breaking work. :cry:

Newfie_1986 said:
I would like to cut lumber that is within a 1/16th to an 1/8th of an inch in variation if its possible ?

Certainly achievable w/ a chainsaw mill.

20 logs an hour is alot of wood to be pushing for a one man operation. You're talking 1000-2000BF an hour. This must be a fully automated commercial set-up? All kinds of live decks and chain rollers? Automated green chain, lumber stacker, slab removal line? 3 minutes a log in anything but a completely automated operation is a pipe dream.

most (if not all) of you guys are using saws with bars larger than mine. i have a stihl ms260 pro with a 16" bar. i will be clearing some trees out of some land i just bought, mostly hardwoods, and would like to mill some of it. possible with a 16"?

here's a couple follow-up questions for you guys also:
- where would i go to purchase one?
- i have read about chain modifications that i would have to do. what are they?

Newfie most of the logs here are pretty small compared to everywhere else. 20 of our logs would probably only give you about about 600 - 800 bf (depends on the log size and on the lumber dimentions, not a lot of mills here get many logs larger than 14 inches in diameter)! This guy just rolls the logs off the ramp and on to the mill...
His mill is quite dangerous actually ! No log dogs, the carrage or slide as he calls it runs on bearings and the blade is in the center of the carrage. He has to hold the log all the way through the cuts (his hands are usually withing an inch or two of the blade)... Thats how he lost half his thumb and two fingers last year.. He never got them sewed back on either... The guy who was with him and drove him to the hospital put the fingers on the bed of the truck and forgot about them (lost them on the way to the hospital).... Very Very unsafe design ! His mill is basically a large table saw !

Say what? No clamping system on the saw carriage.His fate is not a question of if but rather when that homemade death trap gets him,good grief.

Hes been using it for over 10 years now... He had one log get away on him and fly out of the 20 foot container his mill is in.. He has no fear of the blade not even since loosing his fingers. I think he is nuts id never have my hands that close to the blade.
He still uses a chainsaw too. He somehow manages to grip the back handle of the saw with half a thumb a ring finger and a pinky ! He isnt very safe (he had a chain saw chain snap a few years ago and cut his face open !). I was looking at purchasing a circle mill used a while back when I seen it I just walked away it used the same design as this guys (I like my fingers).... I may see if I can snap a few pics of his mill in the comming weeks ! This guy is sort of friends with my brother so I may be able to get out to his mill and snap a pic or two....

Scottr
He squares 3 sides of the log and then starts cutting the lumber off the log. What he does is he will rip 2 slabs off the log (no guide used to keep the log riding straight).
Then once he has that done (lets say hes gonna cut 2x4) he will adjust the guide over so there is 3 1/2 "s of clearance between the guide and the blade, he will then rip a third slab off.. Once that is done he will then adjust the guide over to 1 1/2 "s and start ripping 2x4s off the log. His guide is placed just before the blade and the guide is only about 34 "'s long and doesnt move with the carriage. I would think he would get better lumber if the guide moved with the carriage and was the length of the logs he was cutting. But then there is still the safety factor of the Mill !

Back