Chainsaw Philosophy

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

STIHLSamantha

ArboristSite Member
Reaction score
Ok guys....here's a trivia for you, and some answers hopefully for me....being a woman you guys know that we want to know more about what things mean and where they come up their rhyme and reason so here goes....what factor denotes a saw's size? For example: why is it a 041 or a 090? Is it cubic centimeters of something? And why is it an MS infront of the 180 or 190? What does the MS stand for? I hope these are silly questions but it is something that i was curious about....i have a husqvarna 137....what makes it a 137? And why don't they follow even increments of 5 or 10? Just some questions to get a new thread going and hopefully i can get these puzzling questions answered. I've looked around on the internet for answers but all i get is this....:bang:

Model numbers usually have a bit to do with displacement sizes, but that varies by each brand. Stihl just changed recently, turning the 018, into the ms 180, mainly because they were running out of digits.

The old 031, is totally different from the new one, errr the ms310.
and so on.

STIHLSamantha said:
Ok guys....here's a trivia for you, and some answers hopefully for me....being a woman you guys know that we want to know more about what things mean and where they come up their rhyme and reason so here goes....what factor denotes a saw's size? For example: why is it a 041 or a 090? Is it cubic centimeters of something? And why is it an MS infront of the 180 or 190? What does the MS stand for? I hope these are silly questions but it is something that i was curious about....i have a husqvarna 137....what makes it a 137? And why don't they follow even increments of 5 or 10? Just some questions to get a new thread going and hopefully i can get these puzzling questions answered. I've looked around on the internet for answers but all i get is this....:bang:

Huskies are easy. (ie, my 3120 is about 120ccs, a 372 is 72ccs) Stihls, as Fish said, the numbers are just model numbers, and you have to look on the spec sheet to figure it out. (ie, my 066 is 93cc, an 046 is 74cc or so) Jonsereds are easy, using a similar system to Husky, but that makes sense since they have the same parent company (ie, a 2150 is 50cc)

So it can be easy to understand or a crapshoot. The only trick Stihl has done is rotate the "0" recently. So an 066 became a 660, an 044 a 440, now a 441.

Clear as mud?

Mark

Yup

Motor Sagen and the old system for Stihl used to denote the cubic inch displacement
031 was 3.1 CI etc then there were variations and updates that strayed from this origin a bit but usually roughly the displacement in cubic inches

Trigger-Time said:
It's not when, they are PO at you. (wife, mother-inlaw) :censored:Gary

I feel your pain. I sent my German back to the Fatherland for warranty repair about 10 years ago and it took me 8 years to find a suitable American replacement. Good swap I think. :) Incidentally, the FT said that there was nothing wrong with their product and that it was operator error. I'm still making payments... :jawdrop:

Ian

PEST said:
Motor Sagen and the old system for Stihl used to denote the cubic inch displacement
031 was 3.1 CI etc then there were variations and updates that strayed from this origin a bit but usually roughly the displacement in cubic inches

Maybe on some saws, but the 066 was never 6.6 ci, the 029 was never 2.9, etc. Not even close. The list of saws goes on.

The 044 and 046 were pretty close, but they'd be the 043 and the 047 if they were spot on. The few that match up are just by chance. One can assume that a larger number like an 066 is larger than an 028. That's about it. Their numbers are just numbers.

The 039 matches up though.

The 031 was 2.9 ci.

Jeff

fishhuntcutwood said:
Maybe on some saws, but the 066 was never 6.6 ci, the 029 was never 2.9, etc. Not even close. The list of saws goes on.

The 044 and 046 were pretty close, but they'd be the 043 and the 047 if they were spot on. The few that match up are just by chance. One can assume that a larger number like an 066 is larger than an 028. That's about it. Their numbers are just numbers.

The 039 matches up though.

The 031 was 2.9 ci.

Jeff

Yep.. urban myth... and why would the German's have saws in CUBIC INCHES anyhow? :dizzy:

That's another for you Jeff.. is that 3.5 or 4 now:monkey:

My philosophy is that when I cut 660,000 BF with my MS660 I buy a new one and when I cut 460,000 BF with my MS460 I buy a new one.
Wait, is it BF or tanks of fuel - I forgot.

Tree Sling'r said:
My philosophy is that when I cut 660,000 BF with my MS660 I buy a new one and when I cut 460,000 BF with my MS460 I buy a new one.
Wait, is it BF or tanks of fuel - I forgot.

:ices_rofl:

Soo.... that means 441 and the 661 will have to cut precisely 1000 more bd feet!!

Hi StihlSamantha, nice to have another gal on the site.
I had often wondered the same thing and just found out about the Husky saws last numbers being the cc...But what determines the first numbers..2-3 etc??:dizzy:

STIHLSamantha said:
what factor denotes a saw's size? For example: why is it a 041 or a 090? Is it cubic centimeters of something? And why is it an MS infront of the 180 or 190? What does the MS stand for? I hope these are silly questions but it is something that i was curious about....i have a husqvarna 137....what makes it a 137?

Samantha the main thing is cc's "cubic centimeters" which has to do with volume of the piston stroke, which has to do with piston size.....which has to do with horse power. the more cc's the more powerfull of a saw. I think:dizzy:

Bermie said:
But what determines the first numbers..2-3 etc??:dizzy:

I thought someone somewhere said it was generation of that cubic class. The 272 came before the 372. But was there a 375 and 475 that came before the 575? I don't know. I'm not a Husky guy. Just what I read here.

Back