Chainsaw Photos

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
An 041 points ignition Farm Boss that I picked up from a friend. He bought it new but said that it was too heavy for him so it sat in the shed after one use until 2014. A very dull chain and burn spots on the bar though??
I went to start it but it wouldn't go past TDC even though it spun free with no plug. I removed the starter and still couldn't get it past TDC with a socket on the flywheel nut, to the point that I was afraid of stripping or breaking something. I also tried holding the ratchet for about 3 minutes in a very compressed state but it still wouldn't move any. My thoughts were that the rings were gunked up and making a perfect seal but I have never seen anything like this. So I propped the saw, bar down, closed the ports with the piston, and poured fuel in the plug hole. Every few days I would drain the fuel and try to pull it over with the same results. BTW the fuel level never went down enough to see a difference. Around 2 or 3 weeks later I was finally able to start the saw. I still use it every so often but I'm careful to make sure it doesn't get scratched up.

P6110003.JPGP6110016.JPGP6110010.JPG

An 041 points ignition Farm Boss that I picked up from a friend. He bought it new but said that it was too heavy for him so it sat in the shed after one use until 2014. A very dull chain and burn spots on the bar though??
I went to start it but it wouldn't go past TDC even though it spun free with no plug. I removed the starter and still couldn't get it past TDC with a socket on the flywheel nut, to the point that I was afraid of stripping or breaking something. I also tried holding the ratchet for about 3 minutes in a very compressed state but it still wouldn't move any. My thoughts were that the rings were gunked up and making a perfect seal but I have never seen anything like this. So I propped the saw, bar down, closed the ports with the piston, and poured fuel in the plug hole. Every few days I would drain the fuel and try to pull it over with the same results. BTW the fuel level never went down enough to see a difference. Around 2 or 3 weeks later I was finally able to start the saw. I still use it every so often but I'm careful to make sure it doesn't get scratched up.

View attachment 988623View attachment 988624View attachment 988625
Man, that is a very clean 041!

This is the saw I use the most (I've owned that particular one for 20 years no issues gave $75 for it).
Craftsman 3.3 (Poulan 3300) 54cc, 18".
I own 2.
I gave $10 for one as a "parts saw" @ a pawnshop & changed fuel lines & got it running.

I cut 18 Rick's of wood with that $10 saw (wore a brand new Oregon bar out).
It needs a carb kit now.

PS: I leave the chain loose when not using to save on the PTO bearing, its 27 years old & never had a issue in the 20 years I've owned it.
20220516_180651.jpg

Burning some brush today with my yard saw...
20220516_195712.jpg
This is a surprisingly good saw!
Not a killer saw, but it has been a 100% reliable saw since I bought it almost a year ago for $10.
I've used the hell out of it and refuses to not start regardless of temps/conditions.

I bought it missing the carb & I SWEAR I was at a pawnshop one day looking for some sockets & there was the very carb I needed in the socket bin!
Crazy good chrome bore saw so far!
Surprisingly good torque for a 42cc saw!

I put a new carb gasket & fuel lines.
14" bar, Stihl yellow chisel chain.
It has beat my expectations (it will bury the 14" bar in seasoned Oak).

Burning some brush today with my yard saw...
View attachment 988705
This is a surprisingly good saw!
Not a killer saw, but it has been a 100% reliable saw since I bought it almost a year ago for $10.
I've used the hell out of it and refuses to not start regardless of temps/conditions.

I bought it missing the carb & I SWEAR I was at a pawnshop one day looking for some sockets & there was the very carb I needed in the socket bin!
Crazy good chrome bore saw so far!
Surprisingly good torque for a 42cc saw!
I put a new carb gasket & fuel lines.
14" bar, Stihl yellow chisel chain.
It has beat my expectations (it will bury the 14" bar in seasoned Oak).
Sounds like that saw has some good luck, it’s a keeper!

View attachment 988623View attachment 988624View attachment 988625
I would be proud to own that saw it’s beautiful!

Here's a few of my favorites

upload_2021-3-3_17-55-54.png
Beaglebriar ported 2172
2 zoo city ported 372s
Stock 288xp lite my brother's last falling saw he retired after 40 year's cutting timber I need an oem clutch cover for it.
Stock 266xp
Zoo city saws ported 272
Stumpshot ported 266xp and a stumpshot ported 268xp and a me ported 272xp

Back