chainsaw rant

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

injun joe

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
ok i cut firewood and i always hear people tell me there opinion on the best chainsaw and well in my opinion there is no such things as the best chainsaw. i think that if you put a chainsaw into the right hands ANY chainsaw can be a great chainsaw. i was just curious what your guy's thoughts on the chainsaw being best. im not trying to offend or fight so yeah.

im not trying to offend or fight so yeah.

Yea RIGHT, the gloves are off!!!:censored:

Seriously, I had two McCulloch chainsaws and my cutting partner has two Stihl's. It' didn't take me long to figure out what the "best chainsaw was"!
He got his 32" bar on his 044 stuck in a downed pine, luckely I had already sent the McCullochs back to where they came from and whipped the 20" bar off my new to me MS-290 and he cut his bar out!:clap:
Since then I have been through a few saws, but the best saws come in Orange and White!!!!:cheers::greenchainsaw::greenchainsaw:

The best saw is the one that starts with 2 pulls max everytime, never has to go in the shop, never hits a rock, & cuts whatever you ask it to. Doesn't matter what color it is.

That right there is the mindset to go with, expand on it if need to, but good sense.:cheers:

Easier said than done, none of these new saws pull over easy when its cold. Your looking at 6-7 pulls at least.

yea right, the gloves are off!!!:censored:

Seriously, i had two mcculloch chainsaws and my cutting partner has two stihl's. It' didn't take me long to figure out what the "best chainsaw was"!
He got his 32" bar on his 044 stuck in a downed pine, luckely i had already sent the mccullochs back to where they came from and whipped the 20" bar off my new to me ms-290 and he cut his bar out!:clap:
Since then i have been through a few saws, but the best saws come in orange and white!!!!:cheers::greenchainsaw::greenchainsaw:

+1

:popcorn: :popcorn: :popcorn: :popcorn: :popcorn:

Isn't this in the wrong section?

And also......

MAC.gif

Mac XM-40 FTW

i can see your confusion.

ok i cut firewood and i always hear people tell me there opinion on the best chainsaw and well in my opinion there is no such things as the best chainsaw. i think that if you put a chainsaw into the right hands ANY chainsaw can be a great chainsaw. i was just curious what your guy's thoughts on the chainsaw being best. im not trying to offend or fight so yeah.

since you don't own the best chainsaws,you would never know.would love to see the look on your face when you figure it out.:greenchainsaw::greenchainsaw:

No real answer to your question as everyone has an opinion.
Also everyone cut's different size wood and species and lives in a different area,what works for some will not work for others.
Take me for instance I cut clean wood I would never think of slowing my saw down with semi chisel chain. My favorite saw is a Jonsered, Modded 2159 Not too big not too small.

Since then I have been through a few saws, but the best saws come in Orange and White!!!!:cheers::greenchainsaw::greenchainsaw:

I agree with the orange part of that. If you look real hard you can find a some small patches of white on the Husqvarnas:biggrinbounce2:

I own as many Stihls as I do Huskys but I tend to always gravitate to the 371XP for the bigger stuff and the smaller Stihls for pruning and clean up. This is a Dodge, Chevy, Ford debate if I ever saw one. The question is "which one will survive the next 4 years".

Comfort can make the difference

My thinking is that there is no "best" saw, but there are better saws for a particular job. For saws with similar power or torque, I'll take the one with more comfort (lighter weight, less vibration, comfortable handles, etc.).

Opinions are like arm pits, everybody has two and they both usually stink..

Personally I think that the best saws always start easy, always cut good, need little maintenance and last for years. Most every brand has a couple of these or more in there line up JMHO.

I notice for a lot of people around here think the best chainsaw is the one they have not bought yet. I really like my 16" 024 AVS and use it for most of my cutting. It is not the fastest, but it is relatively light and keeps going though my hands did feel a bit numb and tingly after cutting yesterday. It is amazing how much wood it can cut with a gallon of gas. So favorite and best aren't always the same, but it is my favorite.

Opinions are like arm pits, everybody has two and they both usually stink..

Personally I think that the best saws always start easy, always cut good, need little maintenance and last for years. Most every brand has a couple of these or more in there line up JMHO.
That is true! Also as mentioned above run what is comfy Dam I love my mac's but they are nowhere near as comfy, as my sissy new saw's!
Another thing I should mention Firewood cutting is tuff on a saw. A feller only cuts the tree down and maybe limbs it a firewood cutter does that to and has to buck it up as well say a extra 30 cut's Someone using a saw to cut commercial firewood must do allot of cutting?
I am not brand loyal Heck I run a Dolmar with No real dealer support.(love my 7900)
As you said they all make a good saw!
It's just picking the one that is perfect for you that is hard.
P.S full wrap handles rule!

Last edited:
I'm partial to my Stihls but the best saw is the one that gets me in the woods for the day and allows me to enjoy this crazy obsession we all share.:clap:
Yep! I also love to cut with my Mac's I still use the 3.7 Eager Beaver often, I think of the good times I had with my dad cutting wood. I really wish He had a chance to run my 7900 as a young man my dad worked for Dolmar in Germany.
That's kinda why I bought the saw in the first place he kept talking about how good they are, this was pre WW2 so I am thinking they must have made some dam good saw's back then.
See this is getting off topic again!

I have Stihl 038mag, 028super, Husky 394xp, 385xp, 141 and Echo 500, 302 and a 315. Brand loyalty is no big deal to me, each has good and bad points. To me one of the best performance gains come from having a properly sharpened and adjusted chain. The best saw will cut like crap with a bad chain. That being said I need to get better at sharping chains either by hand or with a grinder.

Latest posts

Back