50 cc Firewood saw opinion

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Matt19

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
I've read alot of discussions about what chainsaw is best for firewood. There are definitely many good saws for this applications. I've cut hundreds of cords of firewood with a stihl 260 . In 20 plus years I've had that saw I've put a carburetor kit in it and that's it been a great saw. God bless my wife she decided for Christmas she'd buy me a new 550 xp. I couldn't be happier . That saw rips. I'm kind of partial to 50 cc saws and this one is awesome. I'm a 2 brand saw guy so either one is ok with me. For an all around chainsaw you can't go.wrong with either a 550xp or a ms 261

Now that your 550xp is doing most of the work time to turn the ms260 up!

You can go pretty crazy on the ms260 mods, muffler and porting help but flat top the piston and cylinder and upgrade the carb and intake system on top of the easier mods and you can pull a ton of power out of that little saw.

Look at all that potential

I cut probably hundreds of cord of dead Red Oak with a Dolmar 50cc saw and loved it. Weight, balance, even fuel efficiency always felt perfect. Then I added a Dolmar PS 421 for limbing, and even some bucket work. And once a couple of trees had gotten bigger, I added a PS-6100. And people told me I'd probably never reach for the 50cc saw again. Well, they'd be right if I didn't just pull it out for a sentimental tank every month or so. I'm not proposing a brand debate, I'm sure I'd love either of the saws you chose. I just found the 61cc saw so so smooth through the oak, I can fell and buck a 24" oak much faster. Now, it does burn through the mix faster too.

Ive been running a Husky 353 since 2005. I recently damaged it and looked at a 550xp but have found parts to fix the 353 thankfully! Ive cut 100's of cords with the 353, cleared lots of trail, its been a great sized saw. Most of our wood can be cut with a 16-18" bar....

Latest posts

Back