Chainsaw Revival: What are your strengths & weaknesses...

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hello everyone. I was working in the garage on a "new to me" Homelite Mini SL Automatic today and got to thinking about what my strengths and weaknesses are when trying to bring a saw back to life. Now I've been into saws for nearly a year now, and I love it. But I've learned from my mistakes too.
My strengths (I think) are general cleaning, carb rebuilds, gasket replacement, fuel systems, and some electrical. Oh, and finding most of the parts that I need.
My weaknesses are recoils, (I don't like messing with them) chain sharpening, piston and cylinder work, and so on.
What are yours? How costly of a mistake have you ever made while repairing a saw? Ever been injured? There it is. Now all I have to do is get my buddy from the shipyards to repair my 750 muffler and all will be well in the world! Best, and be safe out in the snow. Max.:cheers:

After working on motorcycles for over 30 years I find saws simplistic and relaxing to work on.

It all comes in time...

Sounds like I'm in the same boat as you...learning and enjoying it and taking pride in a good clean job.
I haven't minded working on the 3 recoils I messed with. I've done 1 top end, on my BIL's 036 Pro, and it's running well for him.
The only costly mistake I made so far was breaking a clutch spider on my 1050 by trying the hammer and punch method. :cry:
I guess my next step is learning how to split cases and maybe some porting ?

Here's my Super Mini SL Auto.
I could hardly tell what color it was when I found it at a yard sale, due to it being neglected in the corner of a shed for years.
Let me know if you need any parts for yours. I might be able to help.

attachment.php

After working on motorcycles for over 30 years I find saws simplistic and relaxing to work on.

It all comes in time...
+2. :clap:, except it usually involves lots of cleaning outdoors after a race (no fun in winter) and it takes up a lot more room in my shop.
My next bike restore is a '78 PE250. The intake rubber is dry and the plastics are faded. It holds a spot in my heart from my teen years.

Latest posts

Back