Chainsaw Safety Boots sizing question for wide feet

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hi Chaps,

I am after some steel cap leather class 2 chainsaw boots, as my old steel cap boots have been falling apart for a while now, they were 2nd hand from the op shop, so have gotten good use out of them.
Thought it time to replace them as wire, bailing twine, and duct tape with shoe goo is not able to bring them back. :)

Here in Australia, there is very few places that offer chainsaw protective boots, and if they do, their prices are around the 400 to 600 + mark.
Spoke to the local shoe shop, but they cant order any in, then looked further afield to the city a few hrs away, but each place I approached could not give me an idea on size, and as they didnt have that size in the shop to try, and were hesitant to order them just to see.

Looked online for boots, but can only find sizing charts that show the length of the boot, but no reference to the width of the boot.
Have contacted several other shops interstate here in Au, but they could not confirm size even when I gave them my foot measurements of length and width.

Hoping to find some advice from those with wide feet as to which boot sizes/ makes were good for wide feet.
My foot length is 285mm and width 115mm.

Seems there is no real standard for shoe/ boot size, as I have previously bought some size 11.5 boots, that were smaller than another manufacturers size 10, and some size 12 boots fit like a size 11, very few boots are available as half sizes, there only seems to be a standard step of sizes offered, and I am sick of boots that come with zipper sides as they break and leak.

Was looking at the arbortec, prabos, and meindl on fleacebay and wondering if the size 12/ eu47 would fit, but as previous experience has shown me, this varies from each manufacturer, thus asking here for some advice.

Spoke to the local stihl shop, but they dont offer their protective boot range here in au that is available in other parts of the world.

Have searched here and other sites, and some suggestions are to just stick with steel cap boots, but prices for basic steel caps here are near the cheaper options of chainsaw boots, so thought I would look further into the class 2 boots.

Appreciate any advice you can offer, or if those chosen boots are a waste of time, and what else I should consider.

Thanks again

Hoffmanboots.com is where I order my leather calk boots. I have the same size foot and have gone through numerous sets of the 292C size 12 ee. They last me about one season working in the Pacific Northwest. I plan on trying their Armor Pro calk boot next time though. They do ship to Canada; but not sure about Australia.

Hi Chaps,
Bit of an update on the boots and sizing adventure.
I had contacted several Australian suppliers of Chainsaw protective boots, and even sent some my foot size, but could not get a confirmation from them about what size to order.

As mentioned before I have tried several different boots, even with in size 11.5, some were too narrow to wear, others, my foot would have plenty of room, so I was hesitant to order some only to find the size was incorrect.
A size 11 in the US is different to the AU and UK sizing, and then there can be differences in the shape within that size depending on the manufacturer, from my research, there was no official standard for foot size for boots or shoes.

So I started to look further afield, and came across the Cofra Power boots, and from the online reviews they seemed like a good value for money boot.
Then I tried to find out if their sizing was the same as the sizing in Australia, but there were no fitting charts that would take an actual foot measurement in mm's and convert it to a boot size.

Well I ended up contacting Cofra and they replied, and answered my questions regarding size of their size 11 Power Boots.

During this time, I was able to confirm that their size 11 was the same as the size 11 boots I use in Australia, and that the boots are a wide fit in their size 11 and 12, being a Mondopoint width 12.

Also whilst in contact with Cofra, I was able to clear up and confirm that the Power boots are a Steel toe cap boot, and not a composite as some online boot sellers had incorrectly stated, and they are not a Mondopoint width 11 as also incorrectly advertised. It seems that there is some confusion between the APT foot plate and the steel toe cap of this boot in the advertising as well.

As I now had the confidence that I was able to choose the correct size, I placed an order and they have finally arrived.

The box once unpacked from its shipping packaging looked like it had seen gorillas dancing on it, but the boots look unharmed.

First impressions are good, the stitching is good and even, overall the boot looks quite well made and assembled well.

But did they fit?

And fit well?

For a new boot, they are yet to wear in to my foot shape, but I found that there was sufficient width, and my little toe was not squashed up against the leather, and although I could feel the boot shape against my foot, there is room there for it to wear and conform to the shape of my foot much better with use, but it was not tight nor uncomfortable.

The steel cap is generous and I could not feel it with my toes. On some boots I have tried, the steel toe cap is not wide enough and pinches my toes.

I am still sceptical personally about the quick laces setup, but that is a personal view, and these quick lace eyelets appear solid and correctly orientated on the boot. I do not mind spending time lacing up with normal eyelets and did consider the Cofra Energy boots as well due to the eyelets for the laces being flat.

The inside tongue is fixed at the base of the tongue and has velcro on each side, to allow for it to be moved forward and help in getting in and out of the boot. Once the foot is inside, it can then be re positioned and the laces tightened.

The boot is quite stiff in the sole compared to other boots I use, but for first putting them on and walking around, they are quite wearable right out of the box. I will Dubbin them and wear them in for a bit before spending a day out cutting in them, as I would with any boot.

When kneeling or squatting down the boots do crease between the steel cap and the base of the laces, but it does not pinch my foot; I would assume Dubbin would help soften that area some.

For the last 30 years I have only worn Rossi boots. My daily boot is the Rossi Mulga and I also wear their Steel cap boots.

I am currently on my second resole of this pair of Mulgas.

I have tried other steel cap boots briefly, including most recently some second hand boots that I wore to death whilst trying to find where I packed my Rossi steel caps in the shed to no avail, but returned to the Rossi boot for comfort, quality and fit. Unfortunately they do not offer a chainsaw boot, but their motorbike boots are fantastic.

Thought someone might find this of help, and I thought it important to also offer a follow up.

cheers chaps.

T

Cofrab1.jpg Cofrab2.jpg Cofrab3.jpg

Back