Chainsaw shopping

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Fish_Sense

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
Hi, yesterday I was out shopping for chainsaws. It left me with a few questions. Is the Husky 55 Rancher still being made? I thought they were discontinued but my dealer said they are still being made, although not for much longer. The dealer was very helpful but he was pushing the 55 Rancher pretty hard saying it was the best bang for the buck but the 353 was only $30 more. I am not sure why he felt the Rancher was the best.
I went to Stihl and as happens many times, I never got to talk to anyone. They were busy and I know someone would have helped me just I didn't have a lot of time so I just looked. They had a MS260 for $80 less then the Husky 353 but the had a MS290 that seemed very cheap. I think it might have been last years model, but it was cheaper then the MS 270 beside it and about $100 less then the MS 260.
Sorry, I am rambling. My questions are, how to tell if the 260 is a Pro and if the 55 Rancher is still in production.

Thanks

computeruser said:
Look at some old posts. ALL of this stuff has been covered numerous times before.

You know, the guy is new, doesn't know the search feature. Big Deal, I frankly get sick and tired of seeing this same post by you. It is worse than the non searching question thread. If you take the time to post, then you could take the time to answer the question. If not, ****. Thanks

To the original poster. The 55 rancher has been discontinued and replaced with the 455 Rancher. It is heavier and supposively has a slight power advantage, but still very slight. It doesn't make up for the additional 2 pounds in weight. It also has a plastic crankcase that I have personally seen and experienced breaking when dropped, especially in cold weather.

The 260 is a pro saw, although the actual 260 pro has an adjustable oiler. The 290 (56) is about the same cc wise vs the 55 rancher (53cc), but is more of a homeowner saw. I have owned both and prefer the 55 Rancher over the 290. The one thing that I did like better on the 290 was the adjustable oiler. Other than that, I would still pick the 55 Rancher. You can still get them new via the internet, or some dealers may have some left of the shelves.

-Steve

Freakingstang said:
You know, the guy is new, doesn't know the search feature. Big Deal, I frankly get sick and tired of seeing this same post by you. It is worse than the non searching question thread. If you take the time to post, then you could take the time to answer the question. If not, ****. Thanks -Steve
PointLaugh.gif
I Agree Fstang, if someone would have said that crap to me on a question a year ago I would have just found another site that helped instead of dogging you when asking a general question and not giving a anwser or at least list a link of where to find it.
smileyclapping2kk.gif

Hi guys, thanks for all the replies.

I have gone through many, many, many posts on here. That is how I knew the 55 Rancher is out of production. When the dealer said it was still in production I questioned him on it and he confidently said it was. Then I thought maybe they were in production just not being supplied to the U.S. The dealer also told me the 455 Rancher isn't available in Canada, although some rental places have them available for rent (the ones that get their items from their US head office). As for the Stihl, I knew (again from reading old posts here)there was a MS260 and a MS260 Pro, but I didn't realize both were Pro saws.

Thanks again

Freakingstang said:
You know, the guy is new, doesn't know the search feature. Big Deal, I frankly get sick and tired of seeing this same post by you. It is worse than the non searching question thread. If you take the time to post, then you could take the time to answer the question. If not, ****. Thanks

-Steve

Yup, Well said.:clap:

From my understanding in Canada the Husky dealers can still get their hands on the 55 Rancher (still a stock pile of them) ! My Husky dealer told me to wait til summer to buy another 55 because Husky is going to put them all on sale to sell them off and start selling the 455 Rancher ! So your dealer may not exactly be lieing to you !

Lots of times manufacturers have to update and remodel their products to keep in compliance with U.S. safety and environmental regulations...The dreaded EPA!
Sometimes motorized equipment makers can get by with not changing all models if they update the higher-selling consumer models. I think this is the case with Husqvarna and their newest saws, including the 455. But sometimes mfgrs keep making some of the tried and true old models for sale in countries that aren't worried about US regs. Stihl sells saws in Europe and S. America that haven't been available in N America for several years, for example. I don't doubt that there are at least a lot of leftover 55's in the importer's warehouse for sale in Canada, and Husky may still put them together in Sweden too. The 55 was an very popular saw for a long time.

I personally would prefer the 55 as well, especially over the Stihl 290. I'm a bit surprised at the price diff between the 260 and the Husky saws...if the 260 is really $80 cheaper than the 353 (and $50 less than the 55), thats the one I'd likely choose...and not just because it's cheaper. In the US, the Husky 353 is usually a little cheaper than the Stihl 260, but you also mentioned that the Stihl store was busy...I'm thinking the stihl is selling a large number of units and making his customers happy. Kinda like looking for lots of cars in the parking lot when looking for a good cafe in a strange town...

Don't worry about the non-adjustable oiler thing on the 260...many people never ever look at their oiler unless it quites working anyway! Of a little greater concern might be the semi-adjustable carb on the non-pro...but this is a problem to do with old fuel and improper storage of the unit. I admit that I'm lazy, too, and am not above adjusting a carb rich to burn up old gas in some seldom-used equpiment with less fear of hurting my engine.

The 55 Rancher and 455 are both available at present in Canada, with the 55 slowly being phased out. The 55 is already gone in the US, hence why you're reading it has been discontinued, on a US based site, with most members being from the US. The 55 is lighter, smaller and the same power output as the 455. Between the two, I'd buy the 55. The 260 Stihl is a professional saw in either designation. The "PRO" badge merely tells it has the adjustable, clutch driven oiler and decomp that are not found on the non-PRO model. The 260 is slightly more ruggedly designed, but in a firewood application, either the 260 or 55 could be swapped in each other's place and you'd be perfectly satisfied. Buy whatever feels best in your hands, and gives you the best value of the two.

Freakingstang said:

Yeah, I use sarcasm to scare away newbie! But I do supply links to the threads in question! Kiwi cutter, you out there? How's the new addition? All is well I hope, my friend.

In regards to this thread, if you're considering all of of these saws, the 260 is the way to go, and preferrably, the 260 Pro, which along with the adjustable oiler mentioned already, also has a decomp valve. And yes, a decomp valve is a good thing, even on a saw of this size. The Pro model is worth the additional money.

The 55, 455 and Stihl 290 are all excellent homeowner/rancher type saws. So it comes down to the type of use you'll be putting the saw through. That said, the 260 will perform well in any situation suited for a saw of this size.

Welcome to AS.

Jeff

As a General Rule, the Stihl "Pro" series saws have 'White' handles and the homeowners (290, 310, 390) have 'Orange' handles. However the exception is the 270 and 280 "Mid Range" saws also have white handles. And the major difference IMHO is metal vs plastic..

I'm partial to the 260 Pro of the saws you are considering.

Whut about warranties?

Warranty wise.....

Does Stihl have the same warranty system like Husky? I.E. You can buy a Husky pro saw, but if you are using it for consumer use, you retain the 2 year warranty. If you use any of their saws for professional (money making use) you only get a 90 day.... Simply put, they base warranty on use, not model.

Does Stihl do the same or are they strictly, 1 year on consumer saws, 6 months on pro saws?

HickoryNick

For the 044, MS 440, 046, MS 460, 066, MS 660, 084, 088, and MS 880 the warranty is good for three months from date of purchase unless placed into service as a rental. Whether homeowner or professional use matters not.

For those saws not listed, you get one year when used for personal, family or household purposes or three months when used for professional or income producing purposes except rental use.

Anything placed into service as a rental gets one month.

I guess the answer is: partially based on model, partially based on use, sometimes based on model and use

I will disagree with Jeff about the decomp.. I would take it off to put on a race saw head so it would be handy, I guess.

I agree with Jeff about the newbies. If you have been reading here for a while you will know to preface any questions by........I used the search function to......

Fred

SmithEC said:
For the 044, MS 440, 046, MS 460, 066, MS 660, 084, 088, and MS 880 the warranty is good for three months from date of purchase unless placed into service as a rental. Whether homeowner or professional use matters not.

For those saws not listed, you get one year when used for personal, family or household purposes or three months when used for professional or income producing purposes except rental use.

Anything placed into service as a rental gets one month.

I guess the answer is: partially based on model, partially based on use, sometimes based on model and use

Thanks for clearing that up. I'm not biased towards either brand, Stihl or Husqvarna. I think they are both pretty reputible. I have always found it funny though, that makers of better quality products seem to have shorter warranties. Husky is an exception to this, but stepping out of chainsaws and into vehicles, look at Honda. They claim to be the most reliable vehicles on the market, but you can't get more than a 3yr/36k mile warrany even if you put a gun to a salesman's head. Seems if you really boast about realiability in a product, you shouldn't have any trouble backing it up with a longer than average warranty.

Capitalism:If it ain't bassackwards, it ain't right.

Oregon_Rob said:
Why is the mention of a 346xp so conspicuously absent? Am I missing something?
Maybe a question of price - at least here, the 346xp is way up in price, compared to the other saws mentioned in this tread.

Otherwise, I have to disagree with my friend Jeff this time (also). :cheers:
I think the 353 and the 260 Pro are about equal in most respects, but the 353 wins because of better anti-vibe and much better air filtration.:D
No wonder that - it is an about 15 years newer design.
The choke function of the 260 has been reported to cause some trouble.

Also, the 55 wins hands down when compared to the 455 and 290. It is built more like a pro saw, and is much lighter.

If the 260 cost less than the 55, I would take the 260, even if it was the non-pro version.

TimberPig said:
The 55 Rancher and 455 are both available at present in Canada. ...
So they are, here in Norway also.

Last edited:
there is a 55 rancher at the lowe's near me.........

but they say it isn't for sale.i'm gonna go back and see if i can take advantage of a new hire right before they close.

Back