Chainsaw training needed

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The key to training a chainsaw is consistency.

1. Never give a command to a chainsaw that you are not willing/able to reinforce.
2. Never let a chainsaw crawl in your lap, on the bed, or on the furniture "just this one time", unless you want it there all the time.
3. Only punish your chainsaw if you catch it in the act.
4. Rub the sprocket tip in any oil spills, and put the chainsaw outside.
5. Do not attempt to train the chainsaw until it is calm and submissive.
6. If the chainsaw loses focus or is distracted during training, stop training for the day.
7. Do not let your chainsaw go through a door before you unless commanded to do so.
8. Do not train a chainsaw with treats. Someday you'll be out of treats, and the saw won't listen.

The key to training a chainsaw is consistency.

1. Never give a command to a chainsaw that you are not willing/able to reinforce.
2. Never let a chainsaw crawl in your lap, on the bed, or on the furniture "just this one time", unless you want it there all the time.
3. Only punish your chainsaw if you catch it in the act.
4. Rub the sprocket tip in any oil spills, and put the chainsaw outside.
5. Do not attempt to train the chainsaw until it is calm and submissive.
6. If the chainsaw loses focus or is distracted during training, stop training for the day.
7. Do not let your chainsaw go through a door before you unless commanded to do so.
8. Do not train a chainsaw with treats. Someday you'll be out of treats, and the saw won't listen.

Now THATS funny man!! Rep sent!!! I just about spit beer all over my keyboard!! :clap:

I can't help you from here but you may want to think about taking training that will give you some kind of certificate or ticket. I did a one day training course run through a local technical college a few years back. I didn't learn anything new, in fact I could have probably given the course, but what I got from it was a certificate and a ticket that said I was a "trained chainsaw operator". Because I do not have a business name I have found this ticket useful when I approach people I don't know and ask them about milling fallen timber on their property.

Free lol!!!
Basic chainsaw £500
cut slightly bigger trees £500
Big trees £500
cut windblown £500
dont even ask about climbing lol

O and thats the training not the assesments lol

Sorry i asked, sometimes people like to help others!!!!!!!!!

I have already sorted some training out but it won't be till September.

I was just hoping to get some tips earlier!!!!

You're expensive!!! i can get
safe use of chain saw and small trees
Medium size trees
Windblown
And assesments up to NPTC standard

£1079

Sorry i asked, sometimes people like to help others!!!!!!!!!

I have already sorted some training out but it won't be till September.

I was just hoping to get some tips earlier!!!!

You're expensive!!! i can get
safe use of chain saw and small trees
Medium size trees
Windblown
And assesments up to NPTC standard

£1079

The local collage, Highland school of forestry,
Offers the courses and when i looked ito it last year each module was £460 and took a week!

http://www.treevolution.co.uk/courses/basic_chainsaw.php

£480 + VAT! Its not our local one but about the same price.
Im thinking about avoiding the course and just doing the assesment.

The one i'm going to do is not local!! it's in Wales:jawdrop:

So you will need travel money accommodation and beer money on top of that and possibly loss of earnings if you have to take time off.

Ouch!

There was talk of a night class here for the first part and a 1 day assesment. But not enough people were interested.

I don't know if you were looking for training that gives you a certification you can can use for employment, but reading the entire chainsaw manual and watching the Stihl online videos were pretty much all I did to get started managing my parents farm & forest.

I added tips and tricks from ArboristSite, YouTube (very selectively), and two neighbors who have been cutting for decades. One had been in forestry management for the State of Pennsylvania years ago, and the other is a retired arborist. The basics for my training came from the Stihl videos here: http://stihldealer.net/videolibrary/#realvid

With that being stated, I'd be more than happy to get some formal training that I can use for, say, a second job or different career path.

in my experience... the ntpc training is not really worth it unless you are going into the industry, the felling tickets are pretty much production forestry specific... and have limited bearing on day to day felling when not in dense stands of timber.

the three day lantra training course will cover most of the ntpc small tree felling cert(just with slightly smaller trees) at about half the price...

go to the ntpc site and you can view the assessment schedules and see what youre expected to do in the assessment.

Do a search for cutting techniques and training.

You're the umpteenth person to ask is why you got some flack over your question.

Gary

Hi Mr Nice Guy Gary, i may not be the first but deffo not the last!!

It was a personal message for help, i could read all the books in the world, but there is no substitute for first hand experience from a skilled operator.
At the mo i can't be :censored: with n-b ends with 2 bit answers. That was not meaning you.
Thanks for your help
atvb CC

If people don't like it! don't reply.

Latest posts

Back