Chainsaw

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tangazie

Reaction score
I have a Stihl 048, that I have owned twice, bought it back from someone I sold it to. I'm starting to have a few problems with it, stihl tells me the MS460 is compariable. It is too much saw for what I need now days. So I'm looking at the MS440. I live in Virginia. I have priced a few but they seem to be very expensive. Not sure I need a $700.00 saw sitting in the garage most of the time. What should I pay for a new one or could I find a good used one somewhere for less money.

Welcome to arboristsite!

Used 044/440s seem to be going for around $300 on eBay right now. You may also want to look at used 038s, as well. One was recently up for sale here on arboristsite: http://arboristsite.com/showthread.php?t=35327.

You might want to post a WANTED in the for-sale section, I'm sure someone on here as an extra saw that would meet your needs that they'd be willing to part with for a fair price.

computeruser said:
.... You may also want to look at used 038s, as well. ....
I believe the 038/380 is much heavier than the 044/440 - and also heavier than the 046/460......

The 038 also has less max power output, but the torque at low rpms are reported to be good.

Last edited:
SawTroll said:
I believe the 038/380 is much heavier than the 044/440 - and also heavier than the 046/460......

The 038 also has less max power output, but the torque at low rpms are reported to be good.
I didn't know that the 038 was heavier, glad I saw this cause I've been concidering a 038, guess not now. Thanks,
Mark

The 038 might be a bit heavier then the 044, but nothing like the 048 you're moving from! The 038 Magnum is great saw....

If you're buying used, you'll get a lot more bang for your buck on an 038 than an 044, and the used 038's are usually in better condition than the older 044's (o.k., that's a broad generalization, but.. ). They are also rebuildable with top quality aftermarket parts from Tecomec - one of the few aftermarket suppliers of pistons/cylinders that isn't Chinese or similar..

saw use?

Just wondering,what are you using the saw for?Or did i miss that infro?
Ed

Lakeside53 said:
If you're buying used, you'll get a lot more bang for your buck on an 038 than an 044

Lately I've been really toying with the idea of selling my 970 to fund a Stihl of the same size (71cc). But the 970 has been/is an excellent saw, and for the price I paid for it - I feel like it was given to me. Anyway, I have been thinking about a used 044/440 or a 038 Magnum. Lakeside's above statement has me leaning towards the 038 - if I do go that way. I think I'll see how much firewood I can sell this year and maybe put it towards a used 038 Mag and keep the 970. Then I'll have to deal with the wife and "why do you need a third chainsaw..." :dizzy:.

Kevin

Back