chainsaws and chewing tobbaco join in all

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

havvey

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
since a lot of loggers chew was wondering what your favorite brand was: beach nut for me, been alot of bogus ones on the market latly :jawdrop: like my chopper has (durango, red man golden blend, swisher sweet etc) I suppose some use snuf (skoal etc) this is for entertainment only so lets be civil:spam:

no tobacco for me......i like chewing on a good birch tree.....nothing like it....:clap:

More years ago than I"ll admit to I was setting chokers. The cat skinner was old old Swede who didn't believe in cutting greenhorns much slack. I was dragging butt by about ten o'clock so he gave me a big cut of Days Work...said it would pep me right up. Clean me right out was more like it...I threw up stuff I couldn't remember eating. The rest of the day is was set a turn and puke, set a turn and puke. By quitting time I was pretty well husked out and when he offered me another shot of Days Work in the crummy on the way down the hill I didn't have any problem saying no thanks.:dizzy: :dizzy: Still don't chew.

boboak said:
More years ago than I"ll admit to I was setting chokers. The cat skinner was old old Swede who didn't believe in cutting greenhorns much slack. I was dragging butt by about ten o'clock so he gave me a big cut of Days Work...said it would pep me right up. Clean me right out was more like it...I threw up stuff I couldn't remember eating. The rest of the day is was set a turn and puke, set a turn and puke. By quitting time I was pretty well husked out and when he offered me another shot of Days Work in the crummy on the way down the hill I didn't have any problem saying no thanks.:dizzy: :dizzy: Still don't chew.

Thats too funny, wonder if the old Swede's side of the story wouldent go:

Greenest :dizzy: Greenhorn I ever saw, puked on every stump in the woods, but finshed the day and showed up for the next,,,,,, wander what he is doing now?

Hey Kevin. Actually he turned out to be a pretty good guy. I finished that day and came back for the next so I guess I passed some kind of test for him. He also quit jumping the Cat back at me when I was hooking up a turn. I worked for him all season and never saw him again after that but you're probably right...he added that story to his list. Oh...he never offered me any more chew,either. Bob :cheers:

boboak said:

hahahahha, good one there. That ole backy tore ya up did it. Many years ago my uncle, who now is no longer with us, rest his kind ole soul, used to chew them bars of tobbaco. He called them plugs. One day at the house he tore off a piece of his "plug" and handed it to my older brother. In about 20 minutes my brother was having the same kind of day your talking about Bob. That boy got sick and was throwing up over and over and over. That had to be 40 years ago and I still remember it well, I laffed my butt off then and I'm grinning now just thinking about it.........................

Way back when, it was either Levi Garrett or Red Man. Haven't had a chew in many a year, though.
And...you only puke if you swallow the juice...that's what spitting is for :)

By the way, my Stihl dealer was spitting something into a styrofoam cup...which was kind of surprising to see in a retail setting, actually.

I chewed Skoal for over 20 years, the went to Levi.
Was getting tired of chewing, it is actually quite disgusting.
Then I ran into a friend that I grew up with and had not seen for nearly 10 years.
He showed me the scars from his surgery where he had part of his jaw removed from cancer.
I qiut chewing right then and there, that was over two years ago now......

Timberwolf.
used to dip skoal, but for 1/2 the price and better flavor...I switched

covered, you'd prob have been mad if he was smoking. can you even buy cigs in Kali anymore? If so, where is it NOT ILLEGAL to light one up?
chewin's prob his only option. you still on that kick?
-Ralph

coveredinsap said:
Way back when, it was either Levi Garrett or Red Man. Haven't had a chew in many a year, though.
And...you only puke if you swallow the juice...that's what spitting is for :)

By the way, my Stihl dealer was spitting something into a styrofoam cup...which was kind of surprising to see in a retail setting, actually.

Good point Sap. That brother of mine chew that piece of plug and down it. Didn't take long fore he was running to the bathroom on his knees over the pot. We all had a good laff that day. My uncle though , he never said a word, he just grinned,.............

Copenhagen for me.

The funniest thing I ever saw had to be in 2002 when I had a young black guy working for me. Always saw me taking a dip after lunch, and after two weeks he asked if he could try some. Why sure, I tossed him the can. He never even packed it just opened er up and grabbed. He threw a loose wad in his lip and in two seconds that worm dirt was all over his mouth. In about 10 seconds he turned green. I'm not kidding he actually turned a shade of green and proceeded to vomit like a college frat kid on a binge. Still makes my sides hurt thinking about it.

In my early twenties in Indiana I chewed Red Man. Moved to Washington and started logging. All of the leaf tobacco in stores must have been years old because it was always dried out. The other loggers chewed Copenhagen so I switched. Dont think I could afford it now. Havent chewed since the mid eighties.
Canada has good beer but Canadien Copenhagen always gagged me.
Have you ever got snoose in your eye on a windy day?:dizzy:
Its no use without snoose...

chainsaws and chewing tobacco join in all

I chew taylor's pride loose leaf because it is the mildest one I can find. Some one mentioned Levi Garret in one of the threads. Reminds me of what my father in law told me many years ago. Several men were sitting around a country store talking about cars and someone said Henry Ford was a smart man. One of the men in the group (with a large dip of snuff in his lip) said that Levi Garrett was nobody's fool. I tried to quit several years ago when I was driving a truck. I quit for about five or six weeks and it got to the point that when I got to a customer's dock the first thing I would do was go to the rest room, get some of the brown paper towel, wet it and chew it. I finally decided that chew tobacco and possibly get cancer or don't chew and go crazy, so I started back chewing. Tom

Up until March 15 I chewed Cophenhagen snuff. For 16 1/2 years. I figured since I am investing approx. 12k into my teeth this year it would be a good time to quite. Now I chew Smokey Mountain Herbal Snuff.

covered, you'd prob have been mad if he was smoking. can you even buy cigs in Kali anymore? If so, where is it NOT ILLEGAL to light one up?
chewin's prob his only option. you still on that kick?
-Ralph

Actually, as a former cigarette smoker myself, I would have loved for him to have lit up and blew the smoke in my direction....I love the smell of tobacco smoke, and miss it dearly.

Yeah, you can by smokes here, but they're as expensive as hell. Which reminds me, I was in Charlotte airport last month and I stopped in the airport tobacco shop and walked out with a tin of 10 Macanudo cigars for $8. That is dirt cheap...those same cigars would be $20 in California. Needless to say, Charlotte is my new favorite city.

Frankly, I wouldn't care if they have a spittoon in the Stihl dealership...it was just surprising to see on a retail sales floor....as it's not something you generally see around here. I would have been surprised in any store...this just happened to be a Stihl dealership.

(FYI, Around here, about the only place you can still legally smoke indoors in public is in a tobacco store.)

coveredinsap said:
Actually, as a former cigarette smoker myself, I would have loved for him to have lit up and blew the smoke in my direction....I love the smell of tobacco smoke, and miss it dearly.

Yeah, you can by smokes here, but they're as expensive as hell. Which reminds me, I was in Charlotte airport last month and I stopped in the airport tobacco shop and walked out with a tin of 10 Macanudo cigars for $8. That is dirt cheap...those same cigars would be $20 in California. Needless to say, Charlotte is my new favorite city.

Frankly, I wouldn't care if they have a spittoon in the Stihl dealership...it was just surprising to see on a retail sales floor....as it's not something you generally see around here. I would have been surprised in any store...this just happened to be a Stihl dealership.

(FYI, Around here, about the only place you can still legally smoke indoors in public is in a tobacco store.)

Where in Northern California?

Back