Changing chains

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

John Ellison

Addicted to ArboristSite
. AS Supporting Member.
Reaction score
Another thread had me wondering. How do you guys put on a chain? I see some that set the saw upright and do it but I like to set the saw with the left or starter side down and balance it between the handle bar and the bar tip. Just seems easier for me.

John

Depends on how long the bar is

When you get out to a 36", it takes 4 hands and a trained monkey....I do it on it's side with a foot and sleight of hand stuff.

Saw flat and upright.

Install chain on bar and hang by slack at the heel, then hold the slack loop open while sliding bar onto studs.

Sometimes on the 066 with the 8-pin rim I need to pull a couple of inches worth of drivers out of the groove at the heel and first put the chain into the rim before I can get the bar slid up to the chassis on the studs.

Glen

Anybody else got a comment on this? I will balance them on the side every time,get the chain in the sprocket but not worry about rolling it on the bar until the side cover is on and the saw is set back upright. The longer the bar the easier it is. I guess it is quick enough either way when you are on the tailgate, but out in the woods is where it is the only way for me.

John

Latest posts

Back