Chaps construction

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wborum

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
New here and after reading this forum will be buying a pair of chaps and was wondering what they should be constructed of or if it make a lot of difference. I see some have kevlar but was wondering if the ones made of other components worked as well. I see most are 6 or 9 layers and was looking for feedback from you guys to help me decide. I cut my own firewood and thats about it so I guess me only using the saw on occasion makes it all the more reason for me to get a pair. Thanks

layers

i got a pair of husky 9 layers but the next pair will be 6 layers, lighter and cooler to work in ,,,, with the same stated protection ,,
oh forgot to mension that i have the pants ,,,,

Modern chaps are primarily designed to jam the chain, allowing you to react and prevent further injury. They are not designed to block the chain like armor. So long as you get a good set by a reputable maker, that is approved for whatever scheme you trust (ie USFS etc) you will be fine. More layers equals more material to jam it before it cuts you, but some materials such as kevlar are less likey to be cut through than others, and do not require as many layers to be effective. The most important thing is to get a set of chaps(or pants if you prefer) that are well built approved, comfortable for you, and then wear them. Don't get complacent however, as they may not stop every saw, and are not designed as protective armour that will remove all possibility of saw cuts to your legs.

Latest posts

Back