cheap, lite chainsaw advise

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have the KM-90R with the pole pruner attachment (among others). It's the smallest of Stihl's professional Kombi units, but it has not disappointed me yet. I haven't compared it to its larger brothers, but I can tell you that it keeps its speed when buried.

Why the KM-90R? I had an immediate need for a Kombi with the articulating hedge trimmer attachment and my dealer didn't have the 110R or 130R in stock that day, LOL.

True but I also wanted a cheaper loaner saw. The PS32 is about 2.5lbs liter. I could put a 16 on the 261 vs the 18 but not sure its worth it, plus the 261 (that I have not got yet) is brand new and ported and I just didnt want it to start life out in such conditions. Sure it was made to work but I am going to use it for play at first.

I was considering the Kombi system vs the HT130, andy input? I suppose I could get the 100 but figure the more power the better for a pole saw.

No kombi experience, but the torque of the 131 is great

Have you ran a PS32? Howd it compare to the 180?

I kinda wanted the 180 but I know I will mod this saw and I didnt want to have to buy a new carb. If the pics are accurate I can adjust the H and L on the 32, one of the big reasons I got it, plus the AV and adjustable metal oil pump.

I have cut miles of right of way, cut cedars privet and everything else under the sun out of fences and its always been with the cheapest saw my dad could get (I work for/with him) wich is usually a ryobi or poulan that runs like a weak 40cc but weights like a heavy 50cc. Oh, and think I am gona pick up an HT130 too. My work is going to get it for me so that will be a big help as well

No, I have never ran a PS-32. I have ran a 5105 and judging from that experience I figure you can't go wrong. I was just saying that I would have made the same decision you did, going with the Dolmar. I just work with what I have, and I would have given you a vote of confidence for the 180 if you were leaning that way. Just keep in mind, any saw you will be working with needs to be small itself to get into the brush and light enough because you will be bent over ~75% of the time stumping little trees that have grown in the fence. IF you have the money, I would REALLY give you a vote of confidence for a KM-110R. we bought one of those about 6 years back, we run the piss out of it, do the regularly scheduled maintenance, and NO issues. great air filtration, great fuel economy, and TONS OF TORQUE! we have the following heads for it: string trimmer (straight), brush cutter with 3-blade head, curved shaft edger, hedge clipper (straight), pole saw, and the extension which works for any of those. probably over 1000 invested in it alone but it is way worth it. it will pull the pole saw with the bar BURIED in oak, not many pole saws will do that.

No, I have never ran a PS-32. I have ran a 5105 and judging from that experience I figure you can't go wrong. I was just saying that I would have made the same decision you did, going with the Dolmar. I just work with what I have, and I would have given you a vote of confidence for the 180 if you were leaning that way. Just keep in mind, any saw you will be working with needs to be small itself to get into the brush and light enough because you will be bent over ~75% of the time stumping little trees that have grown in the fence. IF you have the money, I would REALLY give you a vote of confidence for a KM-110R. we bought one of those about 6 years back, we run the piss out of it, do the regularly scheduled maintenance, and NO issues. great air filtration, great fuel economy, and TONS OF TORQUE! we have the following heads for it: string trimmer (straight), brush cutter with 3-blade head, curved shaft edger, hedge clipper (straight), pole saw, and the extension which works for any of those. probably over 1000 invested in it alone but it is way worth it. it will pull the pole saw with the bar BURIED in oak, not many pole saws will do that.

I am thinking about the 130 r. .2lbs heavier than the 110 but 25% more power.....

I am about an hour south of Atlanta, Meriweather county

Not enough clutch on those......take a look at one....

Not enough clutch on it to port it and lean on it, but they do a great job of limbing and bucking small stuff. I like my 435 better than the MS180. The refurb 435 and carb tool can be had for less than the MS180 too.

The beauty of the 180 is the weight and warranty if you buy it new. They are also just gas and go with no carb adjustments so it's a great newbie saw.

Not enough clutch on it to port it and lean on it, but they do a great job of limbing and bucking small stuff. I like my 435 better than the MS180. The refurb 435 and carb tool can be had for less than the MS180 too.

The beauty of the 180 is the weight and warranty if you buy it new. They are also just gas and go with no carb adjustments so it's a great newbie saw.
Well, there is a difference between not having carb adjustments and not needing carb adjustments. If there were some system on the saw that caused it to have more accurate mixture control or compensation than a typical saw, that would be great - but there isn't.

I am thinking about the 130 r. .2lbs heavier than the 110 but 25% more power.....

I am about an hour south of Atlanta, Meriweather county

Yeah the 130R is a better deal if you ask me, but again, I didn't buy that PH either. I did buy the brush cutter, pole saw, extension, and hedge trimmer attachments tho. for the extra 30 bucks I would definitely get the 130R. Either one of those PH's you go with, you will not be disappointed. the pole saw attachment is great because it saves your back bending over. and I live in north Fulton county, Sandy Springs area.

Yeah the 130R is a better deal if you ask me, but again, I didn't buy that PH either. I did buy the brush cutter, pole saw, extension, and hedge trimmer attachments tho. for the extra 30 bucks I would definitely get the 130R. Either one of those PH's you go with, you will not be disappointed. the pole saw attachment is great because it saves your back bending over. and I live in north Fulton county, Sandy Springs area.

My wife's parents live in Marietta. No offense to people that live in the greater Atlanta area but I try to avoid going up there as much as possible. I dont know how you guys deal with all the concrete, buildings, traffic and people. There are a lot of days the only other person I see is my wife. I love living and working out in the sticks.

Yeah, there are two kinds of people in Georgia: those who live in the Atlanta area and those who hate Atlanta. Unfortunately for you, more than half the population of Georgia lives in Atlanta. I would rather work in one of the smaller cities like Macon, Athens, Gainseville, or Savannah (my work has offices at these places) but for now this is what I have. you learn to live with it. lots of trips out of town if you know what I mean.

My wife's parents live in Marietta. No offense to people that live in the greater Atlanta area but I try to avoid going up there as much as possible. I dont know how you guys deal with all the concrete, buildings, traffic and people. There are a lot of days the only other person I see is my wife. I love living and working out in the sticks.

Yeah, there are two kinds of people in Georgia: those who live in the Atlanta area and those who hate Atlanta. Unfortunately for you, more than half the population of Georgia lives in Atlanta. I would rather work in one of the smaller cities like Macon, Athens, Gainseville, or Savannah (my work has offices at these places) but for now this is what I have. you learn to live with it. lots of trips out of town if you know what I mean.

You guys are nuts! Freakniks should be where we have the hotlanta GTG:msp_biggrin:

All the citys you mention are BIG to me. I think the population of the town I live in is 200ish. We have a post office, a gas station, and a red light. The nearest grocery store is 10 miles and the nearest walmart is 30.

Maybe we should plan an GTG for freaknik? Who's in?

Back