cheap pole saw poles

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Spydy, I've got about a 100Lbs on youand 6 sections still only makes sense when there is nothing else to do up there but one or maybe 2 cuts. 36 feet of pole saw is like trying to control an angry anaconda.:D
P.S I don't think I could do it with SOLID fiberglass poles.;)

Remeber, I'm near 7 foot tall. I find the 8 foot pole is not long enough for me unless I'm crouched wy down on the ground.

Now that comment about needing 2 guys to get it up... wont touch that with a foam core pole:D

Got this sore spot in the ribbs, slept all night with the PortaWrap poking me. Don't ever use it any more, don't know why I keep it in here;)

i meant core filled ie. not hollow, sorry!

Actually,they look like fiberglass tape wrapped around a core to me anyway. And in any case don't think i could control 36' of it through a nice cut, speaking for myself. i would only think of trying that on a hanger , but would elect to throw line that. Nope, 36' is outta my league with a pole!

Anyone try that quick release advertised for BigShot?

We require JP to keep the PortaWrap there in cas wee need to tie off on ya for good anchor. Wouldn't you rather that than taking running wraps on you again?

FACTS;
Wooden poles of today are created using a younger, less-dense crop of trees than 20 years ago. Older arborists remember a much stronger stock of wooden handles and extensions from this era. Today's fiberglass products are stronger and lighter than those produced 20 years ago. Wooden poles become highly conductive to electricity when wet or even damp, sometimes even when they appear dry (on the outside). In laboratory flex-tests, wooden poles are significantly weaker, pound for pound than fiberglass and when wood breaks, it tends to explode with little holding-filiment as with fiberglass.

Originally posted by treeclimber165
Not 'if', but 'when' a groundie steps on or drops a saw on a pole laying on the ground, I can still safely use a wooden pole. Even the hollow fiberglass poles, at twice the cost of my wooden pole, can be easily cracked causing sudden collapse under pressure with little warning. Sure, the $50 poles would be nice and even a couple ounces lighter, I was simply suggesting a SAFE and economical alternative.

I believe the makers of the BigShot must have signed into some type of deal with Jameson, so of course they will say Jameson poles are required.

ALL poles should be inspected frequently for splintering and cracks. Wooden poles are easily and cheaply replaced, fiberglass poles require buying new poles at $40-$50 each.

In response to those specific statements:

1. Impact to a pole laying on the ground. If it's wood OR fiberglass and the impact is great, a fracture or split can occur and would be clearly visible. Should you pick it up and use it with the threat of it splitting or collapsing under pressure?

2. Price comparisons (apples to apples);
6ft extension (ferrules both ends for connecting)- wood $34 - fiberglass $34
6ft blank (no ferrules)--- wood $11 - fiberglass $11

3. The makers of the Big Shot wanted the strongest and best and most reasonably priced alternative for their product. Jameson builds the best fiberglass extension on the market. Other products have similar fiberglass wall thickness but none have as thick or thicker ferrule tubes nor as strong or stronger latch-pin arms (locking mechanism). We've had no complaints about the quality of the Big Shot pole combination.

4. The most important issue of all. With all things being equal, meaning that because the writer spoke specifically about wooden poles being 1/2 the price of fiberglass, therefore assuming that he/she installs their own ferrules, I would be especially careful when pulling back the Big Shot elastic towards one's body. Please DO NOT attempt to install the Big Shot head OVER the end of a stick or pole, it can break and may cause serious bodily harm. Please let us suggest spending an easily-earned $44 dollars for a heavy-duty, Jameson fiberglass extension pole that will save hundreds of dollars in time and frustration when placing work lines!

Sincerely,
Sherrill Arborist Supply

Wow, thanx Sean!

Very definitive, background and imperatives for all future analysis. i think that is as honest/informative as anyone can be, sales or not.

P.S. Fiberglass does splinter after abuse/ long time, and the splinters need to be removed quick, cuz IMAO they seem to work in and not out.

Last edited:
Sean

I appreciate your position, but I feel like we are at polar opposites of the economic spectrum. I pay out $1400 a month in fixed bills before I eat or put gas in my truck. I have been averaging 3-4 days of work per week at $150 per day. You figure the numbers.
The recommended pole for the BigShot is #15398 at $44 plus shipping (extra charge for oversize item).
I am climbing with a 5 year old saddle that is about worn out. I cannot afford $20-$26 split tails attached to $17 'biners, so I use a single rope tied to a safety clip scavenged off an old lanyard.
I use natural crotches because I cannot afford a $48 cambium saver.
I use a standard adjustable lanyard because I cannot afford a $128 Grillion (two $17 'biners not included).

Are you getting the picture? I will not use a pole with splinters, I refinish them or replace them (at $8) before they become unsafe to use. If I had $100 bills coming out of my crack, I'd buy half of what's in your catalogue. But as long as I'm being offered $120 per day for 9-10 hour days in Tampa it ain't gonna happen. :)

That is kinda tight squeeze Bri.!

Here's hoping ya can drag out $120 for a new saddle, 1 'biner and learn to splice 3 strand to make tails, adj. lanyard; that's what i do, think it would make a world of diffrence for ya! Even make a FrictionSaver if that is what ya like.:cool:

Hang in there bro,
Olde Careful Climbers Never Die;
They Just Lo(o)se Their Grip!

Any decent employer should supply you with everything you need to get the job done properly. I realize freelancers supply their own equipment, but employeess should be given whatever they need, within reason, to complete the job safely and efficiently.

Originally posted by TheTreeSpyder
i meant core filled ie. not hollow, sorry!

Actually,they look like fiberglass tape wrapped around a core to me anyway.

From Sherrill's website: ".....Hollow poles are extruded fiberglass while core-filled poles are made by winding fiberglass "tape" (for lack of a longer explanation) around a resin rod and then batch tested to 100kv. Core-filled poles are slightly lighter and more rigid than hollow poles......"

I knew that info came from somewhere else. :D

165, Have you considered going out on your own? Maybe you could keep working for your current employers and work 2 days a week in a nearby town or something? I have no real idea what is workable for you just wish your financial situaion were better ( and mine too for that matter).

Spyder.
We are sold on the quick release..load bag and line pull down ..click in .....pull quick release on prussick futher down pole...place on shoulder..site target...fire..
Ohhh missed .....pull in line......load bag and line pull down ..click in .....pull quick release on prussick futher down pole...place on shoulder..site target...fire..
Ohhh missed .....pull in line......load bag and line pull down ..click in .....pull quick release on prussick futher down pole...place on shoulder..site target...fire..
You get better but it takes time:D :D
Tom or Sean
What about aluminunm poles? are they Ok for the Big Shot? it seems to be working fine...
And how come the Jameson poles have disclaimers all over them saying not to be used near Power... or are they just the ones I've seen.

What about aluminunm poles? are they Ok for the Big Shot? it seems to be working fine...

We have done no testing on aluminum poles. Would you please forward the name of the manufacturer.

And how come the Jameson poles have disclaimers all over them saying not to be used near Power... or are they just the ones I've seen.

Because, a "hollow" pole can contain moisture within its center, making it
conductive. Jameson JE series core-filled poles are "batch tested" to 100kV
instead of individually tested (gov'ts requirement to use the term Hot
Stick). Hot Sticks are individually tested core-filled poles.

Latest posts

Back