Check out this new lowering device

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Port-o-wrap- sometimes called a port-o-crap by us when used next to the GRCS. but in all fairness the one I have does get used alot. I would like to buy the newest one made of aluminum. The one I have I bought when they first came out and the newer ones have alot of basic design improvements
Frans

GRCS is okay, but it ain't worth the money, either.

Porty is the best bang for the buck in my ample experience.

I'm amazed that most of you guys, who I really respect, sound like a lot of back woods jerks around new ideas. Sigh, ..., what's wrong with finding out first hand how good something might be instead of making everything wrong?

Jack

Jack, having a background in engineering I guess makes me look at such designs from that point of view as well as the tree guy's view.

For a friction device to be worth it, it must be easy to use, light, compact, and practical; how much it's worth depends on how well it does those things.

Originally posted by netree
Jack, having a background in engineering I guess makes me look at such designs from that point of view as well as the tree guy's view.

For a friction device to be worth it, it must be easy to use, light, compact, and practical; how much it's worth depends on how well it does those things.

Very good point, thanks for the insight.

Jack

For you, Glen.

16661.gif

I saw it too in Pittsburgh and talked to te guys and yeah they seemed pretty stupid. They didn't have much of clue about tree work. I had a simular idea but different concept in mind. They say each wrap cancells out the last as far as hockels.

My recollection was that it cost somewhere near $1,500. For a tool that doesn't raise, that seems steep.

How often is it necessary to run two ropes on one tree?

How often is rope kinking an issue? If that's a concern, end for end the rope once in a while. Picking a rope that's around 25% longer than the height of the rigging point makes for a short tail. When hockles build up, it's pretty easy to work them off the end. Having a really long rope is problematic.

To me, this tool solves some problems in a more complex process than needed.

Being able to pivot the bollard might be nice but I wonder how many times that would be used actually.

The tool is very well thought out and built. There are several clever items in there. Too bad it doesn't seem to hit the right price point. Too close to a GRCS/Hobbs and too far from an FOS or POW.

Tom

Looks way too big and chunky, and not able to raise limbs??? No thanks. I ought to be a GRCS salesman as much as I brag about it. Erik, if you worked with me for 1 week you would buy a GRCS. I use it all the time, and the more you have it the more uses you think up. I have a PWIII and it is a great device, if you don't have a GRCS. If you have a GRCS your PW will collect dust. I just bought a dig camera I'm gonna start shooting some of the amazing stuff we do with the GRCS.
I've been working with a 75 ton and 60 ton crane for the last 2 weeks that is the only device better than a GRCS. Hands down GRCS is my favorite gadget, and if it grew legs and left me tomorrow I'd be on the phone with Charley P ordering another one that day. $2500.00 is a steal for such a tool!
Greg

Dream on.... The winch alone if you bought it in a store is about 1500.00, winch handle is $100, etc.... I thought about that and figured I could save about $500 if I had a local welder fab it up for me, but I came to my senses and shelled out the dough.
If you ever find yourself in Jacksonville FL give me a call I'd be glad to demo it for anyone interested.
Greg

ahhh, no you could not.
The Harken capstan alone costs (retail) about $1,000. Plus the one model that is appropriate for tree work (size, strength, etc) is a special order so it may even cost a bit more. That does not include sales tax, shipping, etc etc.
so you buy a capstan, ok now you have to buy the tie down hardware for cinching the strap to the tree, then you have to buy the strap.
After all that you still need to reverse engineer the fairlead and base plate.
All told your costs would come pretty close to the sale cost.
Lets say you are a first class welder able to set beads on hardened steel that will perform in shock load senerios without failing. Lets also assume you are a damm good designer/copier and can set up the welding to spec.
If you are this skilled you will know right off what the time involved would be to get this product finished.
Welders of this type get $75.00-$100.00/ hour. So you would do the math and see that the costs are high.
Oh I forgot, the paint. You could rattle can it to keep the rust at bay but this wears off real quick. Powder coating is what Greg gets done and that costs as well. Powder coating costs even more for a single project vrs. mass orders.
All in all I would venture an educated guess that you indeed could not, (and wont) get a GRCS unit made ten times over for the price of one GRCS. In fact you cannot get even ONE unit made for that price.
I know a little about these devices and have gone into extensive talks with the manufacturer (Greg Good) and have come to learn that the profit margin is less than you might think.
Now dont think I am biased toward the GRCS (well a little) rest assured I would turn on the manufacturer like a rabid dog if I thought the product was lame.
But this device is well made and works for the type of tree work I do. High end pruning and removals where total limb and wood control and fautless removals in multi millionair estates is required.
I have tested this device using a 3500 Lb. Volvo station wagon dropping it 10' and 20' into rigging (shock loading) and have the video to prove it. I did this also with the new Hobbs. Drop for drop the GRCS excelled. Not only that but the GRCS used was one of the first made, not the upgraded model available today. And the test was done against the newest Hobbs on the market. The Hobbs bent, the GRCS did not.
The GRCS on one test moved up the trunk and popped off the outer part of the capstan while the Hobbs bent it's frame. The GRCS required a $160.00 repair while the Hobbs requires a new rebuild of the frame. In the later test with the GRCS bolted to the tree it took the blow from the Volvo and did not bend, brake, or otherwise suffer any damage whatsoever. In fact it is in use today by Gerri Baranek winching big wood in Norther CA.
Any questions or if you would like to see the video it will be on display at TCIA in Detroit.
I hope this helps
Frans
Ahhh I forgot about the winch handle (thanks Greg from N. Florida) Another $100.00

Nick,
I had Sam Noonan there as well as Ken the maker of the Hobbs
Check out the DVD at TCIA in Detroit! It is great viewing
Also shows alot about how ropes fail, where they fail and what it looks like to see a new 5/8", 9/16" double braid ropes snap like a wet noodle (the ttwo inch double braid did'nt brake)
Frans
Frans

I know, he was telling me all about it in August. He was strongly defending the Hobbs, though. It's a good thing I had heard your side of the story, too. :D

greg, Frans...Who said anything about BUYING the winch?

Those are easily made as well, with the right tooling.

Even if you made the whole thing out of 304 stainless, it wouldn't be that bad.

;)

Not knocking the GRCS, and I don't really GAF what the profit margin is on them. I just don't think they're worth $2500 any way you slice it.

Latest posts

Back