Check out this new lowering device

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Oh... any why do you think a Harken 9not the only game in town, BTW) winch for those is $1500?

'Cuz some sucker will pay it. After all, if you can afford a few million for a boat, what's a couple of grand for a winch, right?

:laugh:

greg, Frans...Who said anything about BUYING the winch?

"Those are easily made as well, with the right tooling".

"Even if you made the whole thing out of 304 stainless, it wouldn't be that bad.
Erik".

I respect your 'can do' attitude, after all that exact frame of mind is what built our country.
HOWEVER, should you be able to build a ratcheting bollard with the same tolerances as the Harken you would be a millionair.
You are correct that these devices are used in just about every racing/sailing, fishing vessel, expensive or not.
The machining, forging, and tolerances are done by some of the most advanced metalugists in the world today. The parts, casing, etc are made with advanced materials such as alloys, stainless steel, high carbon composites, etc.
I dont mean to slam you but you are talking out of your hat to the extent that it is boardering on the inane and embarrising.

I have read and learned from your posts before and these current statements are way off from what I have learned from you in the past
Take the purchase price of the GRCS unit. To ANY owner of a tree company $2500. is maybe one or two jobs (even in an area with a depressed economy). This up front cost can be easily defrayed in just a few jobs. If you are a business owner with a tree company that is actually doing tree jobs day in and day out this cost is negligable. O.K. say you are a contract climber so dont see the kind of cash flow of an owner.
I know several contract climbers who have bought this GRCS. As a result they have increased their worth and ability of charge more because of this tool.
So do the math again in your mind
Hey I know guys who will go to the bar and spend $50.00 a week, or put $500.00 signs on their truck. But ask them to buy a winch and they choke. Go figure. I dont mind I get to see them thrashing about taking wraps, lowering each limb and fighting to get them off a roof, disentangle them from the rest of the tree, or pull them out of the shrubs. It is very intertaining. For me I want to continue to evolve, not stay at, or go down, the evolutionary ladder.
(I still need to learn to spell)

I like to see this, it is like watching primitive unevolved human throwbacks trying to reinvent the wheel or make a fire.

The point is- if you have a tree business, the cost is very small to get jobs done quickly and efficently. And it is essential to have the tools that make that happen. Any successfull business owner has that desire formost.
Frans

Frans...

The trees around here simply don't get big enough to need something like that.

"Can do"? You betcha.

"The machining, forging, and tolerances are done by some of the most advanced metalugists in the world today. The parts, casing, etc are made with advanced materials such as alloys, stainless steel, high carbon composites, etc."...

And that's just the line of happy horsecrap that allows them to sell them for so much.

News flash... the materials aren't that new, the tolerances aren't that tight.

The most exotic element in them is Columbium alloy stainless... and even that's not that expensive.

It's all moot anyways. You're happy with your purchase, I'm happy with mine. =)

Oh... I'm not saying a GRCS isn't an awesome toy to have around...

simply that for what I do, it's just not a justifiable expense.

We are beating a dead horse here I know.... The GRCS after purchase quickly moves out of the "cool gadget" catagory and in to a "required tool" once you fully know its capabilities. Trust me the GRCS will make you money, save you time, and put you into a whole new world of rigging possibilities for triming and removals.

I am an owner/climber and I used to think that $2500. was a steep price. Not any more, it is a bargain at that price.

Greg
(not a GRCS sales rep)

The trees around here simply don't get big enough to need something like that.
Erik,
Now you are talking about something I can relate to.
While working for Sam Noonan many years ago he bought a fiddle block and a port-a-crap. We used that thing all the time. You cant beat it for a light rig that a person can carry easily, set up sorta quickly and get the job done. Sometimes you gotta pick the right tool for the job and the fiddle block is just another tool. Sos the GRCS for that matter
Frans

Ability to accommodate two ropes
This is another exclusive advantage to Haultz over the competition. Rigging with two ropes on one severed section doubles the safe working load, reduces the load at the rigging point by up to 50% and allows the lowering line operators better control of the load by dampening the swinging motion..........This method doubles your safe working load of your rigging line and, because you're wrapping two ropes on the Haultz, you have divided the load in half — less rope burn — more shock absorption.

Putting 2 ropes on a load, divides the load between them; but elasticity drops as less tensile percentage of the rope is used; so there is less shock absorbtion from the line instrument. This will transfer more shock collectively to the supports; as the tension in the line collectively is higher than on a single line.

Standing still; the load will be divided tighter line carrying most of the load. If the load induces the lines to serve at an angle, line tension is increased also. But standing still, the load is not dynamic, and can't be carried on the dynamic component of the line-elasticity; only the tensile strength component.

When dynamic/moving, the load can rely partially on the dynamic elasticity of the line, reducing tensile load/shock to supports/all line connections. But, as a catch 22; the more tensile used(the closer loadforce is to tensile rating of line), the higher percentage of elasticity that is usable. The shock load carries more on the elasticity at that point. So, raising the tensile or placing an extra line on can raise collective tensile under motion through less elasticity; and even non-moving /statically(load) if lines force each other to a leveraged angle i think.

Or something like that....
:alien:

Back