Check this bad boy out.

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
If theres no circuit board which there isnt im sure 50hz or 60hz it doesnt matter. 60hz would produce more rpms tho. We test 50hz 3 phase motors at work on 60hz all the time.

I agree with Larko. The only possibility of an issue I can see is maybe thermal constraints of the motor on a 60Hz system. But that probably wouldn't be a problem with the little bit of work this relic will ever see again.

That is BADA$$. I have been looking for one for a while myself. Yours is almost new looking too. I hope you are able to run it. It makes electric saws look tough. Great score!:msp_razz:

That monster sure makes my MSE220 look weak. But that monster also makes an 090 look featherweight.

Interesting thread.
That saw is slightly different than mine as it's
220/440 and 60hz. It may have more power
than mine. Not sure as i'm no electrical expert.

Lee

You can send it to me to give it a try.Only thing i have to do is to plug it in the wall socket.I promise that i'll post a video of it. :msp_biggrin:

As far as i know,i am an electrician,all elecric motors are 3 phase.You can convert them to a single phase using a motor capacitor but the starting torque will be reduced to 60-80% and the running torque to 70% of the rated torque.Also there is a limit as far the motor you can convert to a single phase.IIRC 3000W is the limit,beyond that you can only run them as a 3 phase because the capacitor that required would be very large and expencive.

Not sure what is about the 60Hz sequence because we only use 220v/50Hz in Greece.I think that 110/volt/60Hz you are using is more safe for people.

Mt Dad elder brother and I worked for The Cross pastral company which was situated at Wallacia south of Penrith New South Wales Australia owned by Harry and fred and Harrys son Robert
they many years ago moved the business to Dungog in land from New Castle N.S.W.
Dad the sawyer my brother the bench man
I vividly remember both men using that same saw to rip down larger logs while standing on the skids to make them small enough to put through the bench saw
It had a stack of power and by all accounts did a fine job
we all prefurd the fuel powered saw just the same
we didn't particularly like power cords laying about the place either

Lee, electric saws were used a lot back in the 40's 50's and 60's. I got a taste of them in the early 70's behind a D2 cat and run off a generator. 40" bars, 1/2" chain and weighed 80lbs. You could see the teeth turn slowly on the bar, but you could dog it in, put your feet on the tree and pull as hard as you could. Tons of torque! Don't know who made the saw, but I'm sure they were USA made. Flat ground, big pine, was the perfect thing for the electric saws.

Do you have any pictures of running the electric chainsaws behind a D2, very interesting to me. We have 3 old D2s and I would like to see the generator set up.

Do you have any pictures of running the electric chainsaws behind a D2, very interesting to me. We have 3 old D2s and I would like to see the generator set up.

No I don't. The company I worked for, Collins Pine Co. has a museum and I made a visit there this summer. I didn't see any pictures of the saw cats, but I will ask next trip to the museum. I do know they auctioned the Cats off when they shut the company logging operation down about 1990, but who bought them, I don't know. I'll check into that too.

No I don't. The company I worked for, Collins Pine Co. has a museum and I made a visit there this summer. I didn't see any pictures of the saw cats, but I will ask next trip to the museum. I do know they auctioned the Cats off when they shut the company logging operation down about 1990, but who bought them, I don't know. I'll check into that too.

The D2's that we do have, my dad bought the 3 D2s and I believe an old D7, and they all came out of California. It would have been the late 90s though when we got them. I believe the D2s were all farming tractors, one was even an orchard edition. Not sure about the D7.

Thank you

Now, I only know about induction motors (no brushes), so this may not apply.

You can technically run a 3ph motor directly on single phase, but you need to manually spin the motor to start it.
Works fine for a buffing wheel, but not a saw...
You can also do a rotary phase converter with a bigger induction motor. Very easy..

Now, for 50hz vs 60 hz, it is sort of backwards logic. The speed of an induction motor is directly related to the hz. And the cooling is directly related to the speed. The faster it spins, the more air flow, the cooler it runs.

So, you can run a 50hz motor in 60hz no issue, in fact it will actually run cooler, and be easier on the motor!
Now, running a 60hz motor on 50hz can be an issue. Seeing as they are designed to run cool at a higher speed, the lower speed of 50hz can cause them to overheat, depending on the motor, some are heavy enough to work fine.

None of this applies to anything electronic though. Those will quickly fry...

The collective knowledge here on A.S. always amazes me. I love to learn, and a bunch of people who love chainsaws sharing their knowledge could never be bad... well nevermind

Latest posts

Back