cherry smoking wood

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Jere39,
I suppose it's possible that you have some sort of European Cherry import, planted as an ornamental many years ago, that has somehow "gone wild", but I highly doubt it. Normally, any alien tree capable of that is well known, documented and usually wide-spread... and is closely watched for invasive tendencies.

Actually, looking at those leaves and bark, I think you have one of the dozen or so native species of the genus amelanchier, and called by many names such as serviceberry, sugarplum, shadwood, juneberry, and even wild plum (which is incorrect). The common serviceberry, (amelanchier arborea) can grow rather large, well over 50 feet and around 20 inches diameter, and has a dark, hard, aromatic heartwood very close to cherry (actually a bit harder than cherry)... but it ain't cherry, it's serviceberry.

Jere39,
I suppose it's possible that you have some sort of European Cherry import, planted as an ornamental many years ago, that has somehow "gone wild", but I highly doubt it. Normally, any alien tree capable of that is well known, documented and usually wide-spread... and is closely watched for invasive tendencies.

Actually, looking at those leaves and bark, I think you have one of the dozen or so native species of the genus amelanchier, and called by many names such as serviceberry, sugarplum, shadwood, juneberry, and even wild plum (which is incorrect). The common serviceberry, (amelanchier arborea) can grow rather large, well over 50 feet and around 20 inches diameter, and has a dark, hard, aromatic heartwood very close to cherry (actually a bit harder than cherry)... but it ain't cherry, it's serviceberry.

I offer this not to be argumentative, but rather because I am unconvinced. Both the USDA web site at: PLANTS Profile for Prunus padus (European bird cherry) | USDA PLANTS reference observed populations in PA, and this Dendrologist, Don Leopold, at one of the SUNY sites describes it pretty precisely on his youtube video at Trees with Don Leopold - bird cherry - YouTube

Purnus Avium - Bird Cherry, escaped cultivation in Europe and is found in several US states, including PA

I offer this not to be argumentative, but rather because I am unconvinced. Both the USDA web site at: PLANTS Profile for Prunus padus (European bird cherry) | USDA PLANTS reference observed populations in PA, and this Dendrologist, Don Leopold, at one of the SUNY sites describes it pretty precisely on his youtube video at Trees with Don Leopold - bird cherry - YouTube

Purnus Avium - Bird Cherry, escaped cultivation in Europe and is found in several US states, including PA

Well, I just went out to my "pin cherries" and took another good look at the leaves, bark, and buds (no flowers or fruit this time of year). It think you're correct. That big tree I always thought was a pin cherry indeed seems to be the European bird cherry (Prunus avium) you mentioned. There are a whole bunch of 'em on the end of one crop field. I'll post some of my pics later.

Here's a good fact sheet on Prunus avium (click on pics for larger images):
Prunus avium Fact Sheet

Last edited:
Jre39, that's a good video link. Thanks for setting me straight on this tree. I'll rep you when I can. :cheers:

Here are some pics from my tree. As someone mentioned earlier, the leaves do look a little like elm from afar, but they definitely are a cherry. The leaves have the characteristics of Prunus avium, and the twig & buds confirm it as far as I'm concerned.

PrunusAvium_leaves_002_zps3cec8496.jpg

PrunusAvium_leaves_003_zpsee5ded62.jpg

PrunusAvium_buds_001.jpg

Jre39, that's a good video link. Thanks for setting me straight on this tree. I'll rep you when I can. :cheers:

Here are some pics from my tree. As someone mentioned earlier, the leaves do look a little like elm from afar, but they definitely are a cherry. The leaves have the characteristics of Prunus avium, and the twig & buds confirm it as far as I'm concerned.

Thanks TreePointer, since my post earlier today I heard back from:

Donald J. Leopold, Ph.D.
Distinguished Teaching Professor and Chair
Department of Environmental and Forest Biology
SUNY-ESF

to whom I had sent pictures and a youtube video tour of my own tree. Dr/Prof Leopold confirmed my pictures and video are definitely the Prunus Avium. Coincidentally, he has family in the Valley Forge area and has personally observed significant populations of the Bird Cherry in this area. He confirms that while not native to this area, it is not considered invasive.

Thanks TreePointer, since my post earlier today I heard back from:

Donald J. Leopold, Ph.D.
Distinguished Teaching Professor and Chair
Department of Environmental and Forest Biology
SUNY-ESF

to whom I had sent pictures and a youtube video tour of my own tree. Dr/Prof Leopold confirmed my pictures and video are definitely the Prunus Avium. Coincidentally, he has family in the Valley Forge area and has personally observed significant populations of the Bird Cherry in this area. He confirms that while not native to this area, it is not considered invasive.

That's awesome!

Years ago I called it a pin cherry because it was fit my admittedly limited knowledge of what was "not black cherry" (this was in the Dark Ages before our modern Internet). The flower and fruit was similar to pictures I had seen of pin cherry, but I never took a detailed look at the leaves, twigs, and buds.

Back