Cherry

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CaseyForrest

I am NOT a tree freak.
. AS Supporting Member.
Reaction score
Well, one of my bosses has some cherry for me. Nothing over 20" I think, but 6 trees. Not sure what the trunks look like, but they are growing right next to a swampy area, in the middle of a field. Should be decent.

Probably going to take them down this Sat weather permitting.

Depending on how thick you slice them, and how much sapwood you need to trim away, a 20 inch 8ft long cherry log will bring you a good 120-150bd ft with a csm. LOTS of variables of course. Are they relatively strait logs? Sometimes cherry isn't.

its hard to go wrong with free cherry. Mill what you can and burn the rest. I just brought home a small load of cherry to mill from a friends house. The rest came home as firewood. Got 19 feet of straight millable logs. About 22 inches at the base. :rock:

I've been holding back. I got some cherry also. I scored much like Casey, except I am on the side of a mountain and the trees are already down. Didn't have a camera this weekend so I didn't post. OK, so there you go, I came clean.:D
I'll try to remember the camera next time I go up.

I really enjoy sawing cherry! It's one of the greatest woods we have here in the US!!

I try to saw it to get the best grade possible out of my logs, and i saw everything i can so as not to waste any of it!!! Thin kerf is the only way to go with good quality cherry logs!!!

standard.jpg

standard.jpg

standard.jpg

You just HAVE to love those clear cherry boards!!!

Rob

Yeah Rob, quit braggin!!

This'll be my first go with some cherry.

Casey, you are going to like it. It mills easy. The only problem is straight logs are hard to find, they tend to "wander" a bit. Not really crooked, as in so bad you just get shorts or very skinny longs, but enough to keep rolling them to get the best face, well, interesting.

Worth all the effort though

Mark

keep rolling them to get the best face, well, interesting.

Worth all the effort though

Mark

I feel the rolling it constantly goes for any log. If your not rolling it to get the best cuts all the time, your just making kindling wood IMHO.When just cutting wide slabs you end up milling a lot thicker than you need for a finished thickness, to acheive your final thickness to compensate for warping, twisting, etc. For instance with birch and cherry, I constantly roll the logs. I want a finished 1 inch thickness. I mill 1-1/4 and acheive it just fine. If I flat sawed the logs I would have to add at least a 1/4 inch to the thickness to acheive 1 inch to plane out the warping etc. Thats a lot of wasted wood.

Yeah Rob, quit braggin!!

This'll be my first go with some cherry.

Ohhhhhhhhhhhhhh, so your a "virgin eh??? Well, you KNOW you "always" remember your first time, so make sure you do it right!!! :laugh:

Rob

BTW, "if" their decent logs, load them up and bring them over and we can bandmill them!! Your only 60 miles from me... :cheers:

Last edited:
BTW, "if" their decent logs, load them up and bring them over and we can bandmill them!! Your only 60 miles from me... :cheers:

Just a side note...

If you do this, think about canting the logs with your CSM before you haul them to the band mill. I do this pretty regularly as it reduces your load weight and optimizes bandmill time.

Nice score BTW.

Ohhhhhhhhhhhhhh, so your a "virgin eh??? Well, you KNOW you "always" remember your first time, so make sure you do it tight!!! :laugh:

Rob

Really? Where are you in MI? I may take you up on that and see how woods supposed to be milled.

If I remember, they arent perfectly straight. But enough straight sections to make it worth while.

Ill probably just square them up and then see what I have. Sawyer Rob offered to help me slice them up, but I dont think theres enough there to make it worth while. Ill wait to see what he thinks.

I'm not usually one to split hairs but, you could practice the humbolt method when felling. It will produce a better milling log. I read about it in Larry Gay's "Heating with wood". Just a free tip, but remember, you get what you pay for.:monkey:

Latest posts

Back