chestnut oak iin danger

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

thehost

Reaction score
About Four years ago I bought this house in the woods sits on the side off a hill with huge Hickory and chestnut oaks all around in fact one chestnut oak (28in diameter) sits a couple inches from my deck. The problem is under the deck is a retaining wall that is built right up against the base off the tree about 24 inches high just this summer I noticed the bark at the bottom of the tree just above the retaining wall was starting to come off i gave it a pull and about 4 ft high by 8inches wide came right off and under this rotten bark was new growth almost like it was growing around what appeared to be rotten. I knew Right off the bat that the retaining wall had to go. But now the leaves are turning brown toward the center and falling off like its that time of year. the entire crown is not what it used to be. dead limbs here and there so on I cant explain what this tree does for the character of the house We have Partys ever year celebrating our life in a tree house. please help me save this tree !!

We need to know how long the house and retaining wall have been there.
We also need to know if the base of the tree is at the original grade, is there and exposed root flair?
It would also help if we knew if the root area not affected by the retaining wall was left alone during construction.
A picture would be a big help.

Thanks for replying sorry about my lack of detail but let me start. The house was built in 1977 with a deck off the front. One of the footers is sitting right at the base of the tree which at that time was much smaller. 2 years ago the retaining wall was added which is a morterless rock wall. The front of the tree is at oringinal grade but the back of the tree is buried by the wall 2.5 feet up. Picture if you can the tree holding the wall upright.

You can't have a bunch of dirt and rocks against a tree trunk, it's just not designed to take that. You will need to get that stuff off the tree, and get the ground back to the original grade, at least within a few feet of the tree.
The fact that the tree is showing stress is very alarming, and in only two years.
Tree roots need oxygen. Tree roots buried more than about 12" die. What we need to figure out is what percentage of the tree roots where buried. Like I said before, a picture might help, but what you really need is an ISA Consulting Arborist.
From your discription, it does not sound good.

Thanks I have since removed the wall down to the footer but cant remove the footer because it holds up my deck. How do I get in touch with a credible consultant where should I start.

Latest posts

Back