Chewed by who?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Toddppm

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
This is a Dogwood I looked at today, looks nice and healthy except for this, I'm guessing squirrels or chipmunks maybe? The cuts in the wood go in an upward direction? Any guesses?

chewed by cat?

maybe a house cat sharpening it's claws. I have seen this type of damage before.
Try leaving out a saucer of undiluted anti-freeze that will get the little bugger. (just kidding, or not...)

prcpine.jpg

Todd,
I've seen that on my dogwoods in the Shenandoah Valley. It just shows up on trees with anthracnose. I believe it's the start of a necrotic area the tries to heal, than borers start. You may even see sprouting start up from these areas.

Anyway in a few years I lost the trees.

I'll go with the rodent damage, you can see where the mismatched insisors were working on the smaller damage.

4214042.jpg

They also peel bark for nesting too. They can have 2-3 litteres a season depending on the reagion

squirreldamagel.jpg

Hey, Thanks for the replies. Nick I'd almost agree w/you the way it looks but I don't think this woman has kids??? Hopefully wasn't Kevins friend:D
I've seen rodent damage before many times but the cuts don't seem to line up ?
Jay did your trees look healthy otherwise? These look in great shape hardly any leaf spot etc. BTW , just got back from the Shen. River last night, camped out with the family, inlaws, nephews/nieces for 3 days and fished for hours, Awesome!!

chewed by who

Skunks will do this to trees but they prefer pine or anything with salt on it, like a rake or shovel handle. I know because they stripped over a hundred of my pines last year. They didn't live to tell about it, the old shotgun got them.
The wife and I did the Skyline Drive on Monday on our way back from Virginia Beach, boy are there a lot of trees dead or dying in there. We got on at the Interstate 64 exchange, the first 8 miles are under construction,slight delay. Got off on route 33 to go see Seneca Rocks. The trees were in better shape in West Virginia maybe the bugs are due there next year. Skyline Drive looks like what happened here in PA when the Gypsy moths got out of control and did in loads of oak trees.

Skunks would have been real bad, this was in the city sort of:D
Maybe you were seeing the fire damage, I think they just got it under control this past weekend ??? It was in Rockingham cty. area just N. of where you got in. I was up between Luray and Front Royal and didn't notice anything but thick green foliage, awesome!!! I was telling my wife that I could have a good time just walking into those mountains and coming out in maybe a couple weeks just hiking around. I'd love to hike the Appalachain Trail one time even if only through Va. :cool:

Shenandoah

If you go for that hike, I'd love to go along for a day or two. Yes, I did notice some fire damage on some trees. I walked in the trees looking for knarles. Did not find any knarles but saw some great burls up in the trees and wished I'd taken some ropes along to get a better look at them. Saw a lot of lightning struck trees with nasty splits up on the ridges and one spot were the wind toppled trees roots and all. Beautiful place to walk or hug a tree.

I will keep you in mind if I do. Went with a friend of mine a few years ago up a mtn. near my dads with the gear but didn't climb, think I was too tired at the time!Quit smoking since then:) Unfortunately I'm addicted to this dirtbike riding now too so I spend most of my free time riding, I do slow down to look at the trees once in a while, sometimes even run into them:eek:

dirtbiking

Gave up the bikes years ago, got a wall full of trophies from Motocrossing. When they put the new gas line in you could go from my farm in Brookville,PA to Harrisburgh,PA on the gas line through the woods. Took two days of serious riding. Ran into a tree or two myself, ouch. The new bikes are like riding a caddy compaired to the old bikes. My first mono shock was the Yamaha 360.
Every year the bikes get better and smother to ride and I get older. I've been around bikes all my life.If you look through the old biker mags you'll see my dad set the speed record in Florida, on the beach, in 1949 @ 149.6mph with a 900cc Indian single cylinder. I have been around fast bikes a long time. There is one of the guys he used to ride with still around who has 10 Indians still in the crates, he won't part with them for 40k a piece. He takes them out and oils them and puts them back in the crates. They have never been assembled.
Enough about bikes, trees and sawdust. Work safe/ Live long.

Very cool:cool: Your right about the ride, they have a little more travel in the shock and fork now. Know alot of guys that returned to riding after a 10-15 yr. layoff, ya never know? Lucky about your dad , mine was a golf pro(insert puking smiley here). Haven't tried racing yet, but likely will by the end of the summer. Some of us from the riding club I belong to are going to PA next weekend to Rausch creek and Tower City, can't wait to check it out!

Todd,
Now that you have all of your vacations plan, back to the trees.

Yes for the most part the dogwaads stayed health, but as the cambium got disrupted the health slipped, than a drought hit and wham, anthracnose.

Back