chimney cleaning

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have a guy who does very nice work - clean and thorough. He charges $75 and been doing chimney's for 40+ years now.

Thanks Jerry. Daddy told me about one he had at the old home place back in York, Alabama. He said he thought the chimney blew off the house.

They came yesterday and cleaned it. It's what she called a motorized cleaning. I will say, it is so much better looking now than what it was. A lot of you were right in that she tried to sell me other stuff. I was told my condition is not the worse they've seen, but it was bad enough. Even with the King brush spinning, some stuff just wouldn't come off. I got some stuff that's supposed to loosen up the creosote in the stack so it will come on out. That stuff is really baked on. That fellow doing the work got so black he had my dog trying to go at him. Morgan sees the fellow one way, then he goes behind the tarp covering the fireplace opening, then comes out black with goggles and a face mask on. Morgan went nuts. I finally had to get the wife to keep him in another room.

I might go ahead and let these folks get the fireplace clean, then from there I'll do it every year. She told me the chimney should be brushed with every cord burned. I told her when fire place is started, it does not go out till spring. She said, oh my, no wonder it looks like it does.

Anyway, I'm $400 lighter this morning.

Hopefully a $100-125 will get it done next year. I've got a 11x11 terra cotta flue, not real tall, about 12'. Bought a brush and some rods online and find its not terribly hard or dirty to scrub out.. Got enough hose for my shop vac to sit out on the deck while in use.

Hopefully a $100-125 will get it done next year. I've got a 11x11 terra cotta flue, not real tall, about 12'. Bought a brush and some rods online and find its not terribly hard or dirty to scrub out.. Got enough hose for my shop vac to sit out on the deck while in use.

This is what I'm hoping.

I clean mine once a year, in the spring. Brush and fiberglass rods cost me $50, maybe. I burn 5 cord a year, never ever have more than 1/4 of a 5 gallon bucket of stuff to clean out of my 25' chimney.

I clean mine once a year, in the spring. Brush and fiberglass rods cost me $50, maybe. I burn 5 cord a year, never ever have more than 1/4 of a 5 gallon bucket of stuff to clean out of my 25' chimney.

That's pretty much what I spent for my setup. But I did clean my chimney quite a bit more than that since I was burning a lot of wet wood at the beginning of the season. I had also used about a half pound of the Rutland Creosote remover. That glazed creosote is a pain in the butt to remove otherwise.

Right now I'm only doing about 5 night fires a week, and once those are finally done, I'll give it a good scrubbing so that it's ready for next season. :msp_biggrin:

N all y'all up north, try to keep your cold weather up there next year! PLEASE! :dizzy:

Back