Chimney Installation Help Wanted

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Connor77

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
I just recently had an Excel chimney installed and it wasn't the easiest install due to the fact that the house didn't lend itself to a chimney anywhere. The place where we located the wood stove was the only practical corner of a room to put it (and it's in a good place in terms of how it will direct heat outwards).

I'm looking for advice on how to support the chimney better in terms of adding something that will bear some weight. Right now the only weight bearing bracket is right where the "T" is. The other brackets up on the dormer roof and top roof are really only side to side brackets only.

Obviously I didn't want the pipe to go right through the window which is why we added the 30 degree elbows.

Suggestions?

Thanks in advance.

Give the way the lower brackets are and the ones up high are angled down I think they are both supporting some weight. If anything I would get another bracket and put it directly under the first elbow straight to the roof.
first elbow being the one at the first roof.

Some type of bracket that mounts on the roof and also on the vertical pipe just above the second elbow. Sorta V shaped with vertical leg of the v being longer than the other, and somewhat stout.

You have a nice looking house there, and personally I would (if it would work) lower that angle from 30* enough to get it in a wood framed chimney chase and anchor it there. You'd need a sloping chase over the angled section, then a typical vertical section. I'd rather see more cedar than more metal.

The setup you have now is new and tight but I'm not sure it looks gravity friendly over time.

Thanks for the help guys. I would also like to see less metal but I don't think I have much of choice until we decide to box something in (if we ever do this - I'm not crazy about what this looks like but we've already been without power and cold so we wanted another heat source). I was wondering if, in the interest of keeping it simple, that I could get a fabricator to make a "V" type bracket that could be attached to a band much the same way the dormer brackets are attached to the band with the difference being the "feet" that would get attached to the roof won't pivot so that these brackets (or single bracket) would actually bear some weight.

I'd prefer to keep in lower on the dormer roof and below the 2nd elbow if possible - mostly for aesthetic reasons but I still think it should help take some of the gravity issue effect away longer term.

Thanks. I was almost going to ask you if you wouldn't mind giving me a quick sketch so I appreciate you posting the one you did.

That is a beautiful house, and an UGLY chimney. Why not go straight up thru the roof. You could even do 45 angles inside then straight up. Better draft, looks, and heat.

That is a beautiful house, and an UGLY chimney. Why not go straight up thru the roof. You could even do 45 angles inside then straight up. Better draft, looks, and heat.

I'm afraid I feel the same way about the look of the chimney. Inside the house are structural beams and I couldn't find a builder or chimney crew willing to cutting holes up instead of out. Our house is in the woods so it's not like anyone will see this from the road and I hope I don't spend much time looking at it (but I fear I will). Longer term I'll probably do something different but anything inside would definitely be much more invasive and cost me a lot more money than what's been done.

Stihly - are you thinking I will have draft issues as it is now? Great name by the way - my favorite band when I was in college.

It's not going to help. Every bend is a restriction, and you have 4 of them. How is it starting a fire? If you can light a fire ok, should be fine.

Back