Chimney Pipe

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

WidowMaker

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
I came across this while searching for an on-line source for double and triple wall pipe...

" When we purchased our stove this year, I asked about triple wall stove pipe, and was told that it is not allowed in code any more...(I guess code is now double wall insulated stove pipe)"

Can anybody provide any "code knowledge" input on this subject. A link to appropriate code source would be appreciated...TIA

Triple wall is a thing of the past. It was real popular during the 70's. The main reason it has gone to disfavor is that it keeps the flue too cold. Its whole design premise was to keep the flue from overheating. As a result you end up with a cooler flue and more creosote.

In talking with my chimney sweep he said they were not recommended for areas with extreme weather. His opinion is the SW Iowa qualified as extreme enough weather.

That said, I have triple wall on my wood stove. It was installed during the 60's or 70's as a lot of triple wall installations were. My chimney sweep said he services a lot of triple wall installation an they are all doing OK.

The reasoning of the packed vs triple wall is that the packed is designed to have a hot inner flue and keep it hot as opposed to being designed to constantly cool the flue with cold air flow. By reducing the heat sink effect on the inner flue, the flue heats up faster and stays hot longer resulting in less creosote buildup. The wall should be at a temperature not conductive to condensing water/creosote on its surfaces.

Don

Ive used double wall insulated last year for the first time, I like it, it is very forgiving of poor burning practices, creosote buildup is very minimal. I had a slight problem with buildup on the cap itself during very cold weather and then the built up material flaking off while glowing hot when I had a very hot fire one, but thats about it.

When pricing your pipe find out the local distributor is. I saved close to 30% from the stove store and on line. The packed pipe is good stuff, good luck.

When pricing your pipe find out the local distributor is. I saved close to 30% from the stove store and on line. The packed pipe is good stuff, good luck.

====

:confused: So did you buy from the local or on-line, if on line, linky please

Latest posts

Back