Chimney sweeping

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Joshlaugh

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
I am having my chimney swept on Wednesday. This will be the 1st time for this stove in my current house. Can I keep my fire going or does it have to be completely out when he cleans it? Pretty bad that I can't remember what my dad and I used to do for his stove!

I just let mine burn down to coals when I sweep. I can even take off the stove pipe down stairs and back sweep then when I'm done I just throw a few logs on and I'm back to heatin again.

Last edited:
I had just wondered how much is the average charge for Chimney sweep. I was going to try and do it myself this year and wondered what kit to get.

I had just wondered how much is the average charge for Chimney sweep. I was going to try and do it myself this year and wondered what kit to get.

If you are not doing it yourself you might as well be buying cord wood. You are not buying cord wood are you?

They sell good brushes at home centers and stove shops. Mine is on a long pole, then I hand brush the stove pipes. Its dead, oh yeah, no fire in there then.
Use creosote logs to loosen the resin.

I normally sweep out my chimney early fall right before i start burning then it doesnt get cleaned till the next year. Is that bad?

The only time I sweep out my chimney is when it tells me to. If I open up the stove door and smoke start coming out, I realize I'm close to needing to bang out the creosote. The buildup keeps the stove from drawing oxygen hence the smoke. Just did this Sunday. Got the most creosote I've ever got...two whole 5 gallon buckets. YUCK.

I think there are a million variables as to when and how often a chimney may need swept. Basically as was noted your stove will tell you when it ready by the quality of draft. The more in tune you are with your stove the better you can read when its time. I use a few indicators like tapping the stove pipe and listening to the ring tone. Also as others have said how well it drafts when you first open the door. But remember some factors are influenced by outside temperatures and barometric pressures too. And then there is the chimney itself. Some are fickle under the most ideal conditions and some can tolerate alot in the worst. All in all just time and experience will give you a feel for when its needs done.

The only time I sweep out my chimney is when it tells me to. If I open up the stove door and smoke start coming out, I realize I'm close to needing to bang out the creosote. The buildup keeps the stove from drawing oxygen hence the smoke. Just did this Sunday. Got the most creosote I've ever got...two whole 5 gallon buckets. YUCK.

I don't know how long you waited between cleanings, but 10 gallons of creosote is way too much. You need to clean more frequently and/or burn properly seasoned wood (and letting the first fire of the day rip nice and hot wouldn't hurt).

I don't know how long you waited between cleanings, but 10 gallons of creosote is way too much. You need to clean more frequently and/or burn properly seasoned wood (and letting the first fire of the day rip nice and hot wouldn't hurt).

I was thinking the same thing. Dunno what really happened with this last cleaning. Worst I have ever seen it! I typically clean out about 1/3 of a 5 gallon bucket twice a winter. This was the most ever! I did burn some rather green ash that had fallen close to the house but...I never figured 4 or 5 arm-fulls would have caused that much buildup. I've learned my lesson that's for sure.

Dude, I would definitely have the fire as "dead" as possible. I'm having mine swept tomorrow morning before I have a wood burning insert installed next week. Its gonna cost me $126 Canadian.

I don't know if the kit over in the US is the same but over here the brush has the thread that fits onto drainage rods, so if you already have some drainage rods the brush isn't expensive to buy, make sure you you don't unscrew the brush/rods by turning them the wrong way whilst you are cleaning the chimney though.

Last edited:
I don't know if the kit over in the US is the same but over here the brush has the thread that fits onto drainage rods, so if you already have some drainage rods the brush isn't expensive to buy, make sure you you don't unscrew the brush/rods by turning them the wrong way whilst you are cleaning the chimney though.

My brush has 1/4" NPT pipe threads on it-I don't know if that's what you mean by drainage rod or not. I tie a small rope onto the top of the brush that I lower along with it when brushing just in case I ever do accidentally unscrew it from the rod.

I nice chimney fire will clean it out quick. Not to messy either;-) Don't ask how I know.

I now clean once in the fall, and once in the middle of the burning season. Just did it last weekend.

Had my chimney cleaned this morning. The guy was in and out in 30min. Just stuck the brush up once or twice, scrubbed the firebox masonary clean then vacuumed the ashes out.

If I would have known it was that quick and easy I would have saved the $126 and bought myself a brush. No creosote buildup at all, as the fireplace hasn't been used much. However once the insert goes in next week, it will be burning all the time.

My brush has 1/4" NPT pipe threads on it-I don't know if that's what you mean by drainage rod or not. I tie a small rope onto the top of the brush that I lower along with it when brushing just in case I ever do accidentally unscrew it from the rod.

I don't know what size the thread is to be honest, I only know thats its the same as the thread on the flexible rods that you use for rodding drains.
The ones I have look like this...
_26557_139672.jpg

And the brush just threads onto the end of them instead of the drain unblocking attachment.

Had my chimney cleaned this morning. The guy was in and out in 30min. Just stuck the brush up once or twice, scrubbed the firebox masonary clean then vacuumed the ashes out.

If I would have known it was that quick and easy I would have saved the $126 and bought myself a brush. No creosote buildup at all, as the fireplace hasn't been used much. However once the insert goes in next week, it will be burning all the time.
Depending on how tall your chimney is you can get all you need for around $100.00 They sell rod's at Canadian Tire. They come in 8' lengths and the brush too.
Don't make the same mistake I did my first brush was like $12.00 and it was falling apart after maybe 10 uses the one I got this year cost me $30.00 and I have not lost any bristles yet.:)

Dude, I would definitely have the fire as "dead" as possible. I'm having mine swept tomorrow morning before I have a wood burning insert installed next week. Its gonna cost me $126 Canadian.
Totally unnecessary. Once the flames are gone and there is just coals only heat is coming off at that point.
Since I heat my house with wood I clean mine 2-3xs a season. If I paid for it every time there would be no savings in burning wood. I gotta believe chimney sweeps don't get alot of repeat business once people see how easy it is.

Thanks for the replies. Due to the bends in my chimney I am letting the sweep do it this time(and the slate 2 story roof). Unfortunately I won't be able to take off work to watch him, so I will have to read up and figure out how to do it myself to save money next year.

Back