Chimney

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
haha
I just went through this. use the search function to find the thread titled

"Chimney Questions?"

No you cant.

AS long as you disconnect the gas boiler !!

I had the same question a few months ago with the same answer as I gave you. I searched and searched to find out why.

Well last night I found out. I also have a 10"X10" tile with block and brick chimney. The oil furnace tied in up high with its own flue pipe. The wood furnace about 2 1/2 foot lower.

Got home last night from shopping and something didn't sound right. Went down and opened the fire box door and I knew something was wrong. I heard popping and crackling noises in the flue pipe then into the chimney. Quick shut the door and what a roaring noise it was making. Shut down the air intake, then saw the auto flue dampner for the oil furnace was wide open and sucking air in big time. At about this time my GF yelled down and said "FIRE, coming out of the chimney".

Had her call 911 as I blocked off the auto dampner and wrap a rag around the air intake on the oil burner. Fire dept got here in about five minutes as the sparks and flames stopped coming out of the chimney.

They are really great guys - they checked the whole chimney with their thermal imaging camera.

Everthing ended up OK. Fire burned itself out - them guys and gals left without using anything except the camera.

What would have happened if I didn't come home when I did and close off the air supply to the chimney ??

Today I cleaned the chimney (-8 out this morning) disconnected the wood furnace, serviced the oil furnace and thought about selling the rest of the fire wood.

:givebeer:

Latest posts

Back