China Homelites

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sonny580

ArboristSite Guru
AS Supporting Member.
Reaction score
Well,--- Since China grabbed Homelite the current production models are nothing like the old ones.--- Any way, I got this one , supposed to have been good,--BUT ebay listings are a BIG gamble! --( I lost big on this one)! LOL!!!
exhaust side of piston
20180418_134802.jpg
Intake side
20180418_134802.jpg
top of piston
20180418_134851.jpg
the bottom cap
20180418_134910.jpg
after dis assembly
20180418_134937.jpg
new motor
20180418_134957.jpg
new motor
20180418_135032.jpg

As you can see, the piston is really melted on the exhaust side, and cylinder has deep scratches that catch your fingernail, so that explains the 50 psi comp. that it had! lol!!
Don't know what did the piston in, but might have been ran with gas without oil ,--have no idea and seller wouldn't say!
Since I have another 3514 and liked it, I did find a new short block for this one and not too spendy, so I went for it.
Saw is kinda hard for large stiff fingers to work on.--need one of them china children who put it together at the factory, I guess!! LOL!!!
Now all I have to do is start getting the tiny pieces stuffed back in where they belong!!
Don't hate me for fixing this PLASTIC saw, but I have cut a lot of wood with them over the years so I did feel this little guy needed a second chance at life!! LOL!!!

O. K.,---Lets hear your comments!---bad OR good!!! thanks; sonny580

Attachments

• 20180418_134831.jpg
    20180418_134831.jpg
    101.1 KB · Views: 15
How much was the short block?

I don't think these saws are nearly as bad as people make them out be, a lot of the issues I've read about come to the end user. Read an amazon review for the 56cc saw i have and I got a good laugh when they said them bending the bar after using the saw was the fault of the manufacturer.

A couple of years ago I bought a refurb cheapie homelite at a local farm store. They had a pallet full. Got it home, pulled the muffler, and found a severely scored piston. I took it back. They asked if I wanted a replacement. I said only if you allow me to start pulling mufflers off in the store. No go. Got my money back. I only bought one for kicks anyway, so no big deal.

Good luck trying to keep those things alive. Almost impossible to keep crank seals in them. Seems like all the replacement seals are just as bad as the OEM. Tossed a bunch of those over the last few years 'cause they just weren't worth fixing.

At least you will have a matching set of bookends when the new long block expires..... :rare2:

It got me thinking about the refurb thing. I’ve bought several Poulan refurbs and have no complaints. How did this Homelite get to where it was being resold, but obviously junk? I’ve always wondered how many of those on that pallet were also bad, and how many unsuspecting folk bought them.

Good luck trying to keep those things alive. Almost impossible to keep crank seals in them. Seems like all the replacement seals are just as bad as the OEM. Tossed a bunch of those over the last few years 'cause they just weren't worth fixing.
This is just idle curiosity for me, but...
Do you figure it was the seal quality or was the crank finish a bit rough?

I suspect that the quality of the seal lip is not sufficient to take the heat that builds behind the clutch. Finish on the crank usually looks good but I also think crank runout may play a role.

I had one that came across the bench and I was going to try an alternative seal [Honda or Yamaha, I can't remember.] but in talking with the owner, I found out the saw was less than 30 days old and was still eligible for a walk in warranty swap at Home Depot.

So far none of mine have had leaky seals.--Maybe I don't run them as hard as some guys do!---They little guys, --- can't use them like a 100 cc saw! LOL!!!! thanks; sonny580

I have one of these guys..all are 42cc like the Poulans. 2 thin rings, antivibe springs, regular
Ruixing carb (not strato). I use this over a Poulan 3314, since the Homelite doesnt leave my fingers
numb after a few hours use. Muffler is a cat style with VERY small exit holes. If you mod this one with bigger holes, make sure you remove the cat screen inside, since the saw muffler runs very hot with the bigger flow!
Nice BIG gas and oil caps, easy to fill and empty. I still use this saw, despite what everyone else thinks of
it. It's my lightweight go to...when I dont need the bigger 50cc Husky and 64cc Stihl saws I have.

Back