China/Stihl knockoff?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Lobo said:
I think you best research ISO standards and conformity as they are there exactly to prevent what you have posted
I know that in America some companies have tried and did not achieve because of grey areas they did not address or wanted to address. (the big black holes)

Then it's different in manufacturing. With software development companies, we personally know of cases where the company managed to get certified that ONE computer (out of hundreds) complied to the standard, it was being used for a specific purpose, and therefore they could hang the banner. Maybe the auditors are not as scrupulous in this business area.

Timbermaster said:
I thought echos were made in japan. Going by the 452 i tried out said made in japan on it. The new echos I looked at 305 346 said assembled in the usa.

Echo is owned by the Kioritz corp of Japan, but they have manufacturing plants in the USA, Illinois.

So apparently it is profitable and possible to build them here, but it is foreign companies that are doing it.

CNYcountry and Woodshop:
Thanks for your comments !
I think Woodshop has given CNY my answer. If you come to China, you not only find junks but also real good stuff. So you can not judge before you go behind and find the hand that controls.
CNY: regarding your "horrible steel.....", it's not strange if you just come across some small factories making auto parts, like in the suburbs of east China, who are doing knockoffs only as required by buyers. The point is: you can have A to Z qualities in the same area, that is the current situation in China.
Thanks again for your interest in China affairs - willing to answer any ....

mike fm china
16:22
04/08/2005

Originally Posted by Timbermaster
I thought echos were made in japan. Going by the 452 i tried out said made in japan on it. The new echos I looked at 305 346 said assembled in the usa.

Might be assembled..thats not manufactured...all they need to do is put the bar and chain on..assembly complete...

We have the same problem in NZ with carvings that appear NZ maori carvings....made in china - in sweat shops...being sold with label small print "sold in (big print> NewZealand" the tourist just don't read the labels properly..see the "NZ" and think "made in NZ"..

marketing...never assume

mikeshaw said:
CNYcountry and Woodshop:
Thanks for your comments !
I think Woodshop has given CNY my answer. If you come to China, you not only find junks but also real good stuff. So you can not judge before you go behind and find the hand that controls.
CNY: regarding your "horrible steel.....", it's not strange if you just come across some small factories making auto parts, like in the suburbs of east China, who are doing knockoffs only as required by buyers. The point is: you can have A to Z qualities in the same area, that is the current situation in China.
Thanks again for your interest in China affairs - willing to answer any ....

mike fm china
16:22
04/08/2005

Mike check out China labor watch.com this tells us way more about china affairs then I think you would be willing to or could.There are more countries besides the U.S. being hurt by china's labor and trade practices. Many people here say we have to compete. Most companies in china are state owned or run. The only way we can compete is to lower our standerd of living to what their state owned and run companies pay their people. They still use kids in their factories. 75 hour work weeks and low,low pay. China refuses to import on a fair playing field. Its nice to buy a good saw at a reduced price but it did come at a price somewhere else. That in the poor wages of chinas people now makeing them and the jobs lost by the people that used to make them. Kohler bath fixture's prices have not gone down yet they come from china now and again those people are paid a wage that hardly puts food on the table . If you go on strike in china for a better wage there is a good chance you are going to prison. Ask the people if they have insureance at their factories. They dont evan have workmans comp. Mike enjoy while you can cause a trade war aint to far off.

eric_271 said:
Mike check out China labor watch.com this tells us way more about china affairs then I think you would be willing to or could.There are more countries besides the U.S. being hurt by china's labor and trade practices. Many people here say we have to compete. Most companies in china are state owned or run. The only way we can compete is to lower our standerd of living to what their state owned and run companies pay their people. They still use kids in their factories. 75 hour work weeks and low,low pay. China refuses to import on a fair playing field. Its nice to buy a good saw at a reduced price but it did come at a price somewhere else. That in the poor wages of chinas people now makeing them and the jobs lost by the people that used to make them. Kohler bath fixture's prices have not gone down yet they come from china now and again those people are paid a wage that hardly puts food on the table . If you go on strike in china for a better wage there is a good chance you are going to prison. Ask the people if they have insureance at their factories. They dont evan have workmans comp. Mike enjoy while you can cause a trade war aint to far off.

Well it seems to me that the problem is the Kohler company or any company who as you have posted knowingly get products manufactured in China made with child labor, 75 hour work weeks, no benefits etc.,. Kohler have not reduced their pricing on their products therefore they are simply using this to make more profits to put in their coffers, no matter what abuses are going on.

Who is really the guilty party and who is really abusing here ?

Lobo said:
Well it seems to me that the problem is the Kohler company or any company who as you have posted knowingly get products manufactured in China made with child labor, 75 hour work weeks, no benefits etc.,. Kohler have not reduced their pricing on their products therefore they are simply using this to make more profits to put in their coffers, no matter what abuses are going on.

Who is really the guilty party and who is really abusing here ?

Lobo Check out the site I spoke of and make up your own mind. Guilty party's might have been a better ? Its no secret China is abusing its work force. The U.S. government knows about it and just makes threats to china to fly right. At the same time big buisness has a lot to do with how our goverment operates. If our government takes action against china's labor and trade practice it is bound to hurt american companies that have moved there work over there. If china was forced to import their fair share then they would have to pay the work force enough to buy those products. My feeling is our companies that have moved their work to china our government and chinas government are all guilty of abuse.

My most hated subject....The killer is our administration during the 1990's was the worst offender. Byfar. They allowed a feeding frenzy on leading edge Computer and Manufacturing technology by China...guess "allow" isn't the right word..."encourage" is more like it. The same folks our tade unions spent so much time and money trying to promote, gutted our manufacturing future. I happened to be working for a unique little software company selling tools to build the next generation (then) graphics based application such as CAD/CAM and virtual reality stuff. Many of my customers and also my company sold code to those in China. We also trained them in the best ways to use it. Some sold their companies entirely when their was the opportunity as the manufacturing community here was in decline...A few DARPA funded progect at the leading edge. DARPA was tax payer supported research in the purest sence.(During the early 90's "DARPA" was blended with "NIST" to make "ARPA"....who cares? All that stuff fell into control of thouse who didn't like the Pentagon's take on what might be sensitive technology...no such THING as sensitive in thier mind, ONLY can it be SOLD!) .So that stuff gets assimilated into places like the Central Industrial Complex in China where its evaluated to the nth degree.... and I can tell you without a question in my mind they can model and build ANYTHING we can at this point. Why? Because the limitations to actually building complex shapes usually ae software derived problems. They have the same stuff we do.

Simultaniously that same administration though it looked really good for them when we dumped billions of venture capital dollars in start up ".coms" and other vapor ware..drain all that cash into the economy KNOWING there wouldn't be the return...when the rest of the investment world caught on we had our little depression of the 2000-2001 years. (911 didn't help either)..and by the time we started trying to get back on track the Chinese were beginning to implement and see the benifits of their last ten years worth of investment and R&D.....

I can't fault the Chinese. Hard working and very smart people. The technology "gap" was closed in the ninties. I just wish we could either have got the true value out of our investment OR let other spend the time and capital WE did to get to the same point. That would have bought us 5 or more years to recover from the ".COM" induced crash...maybe not. Who knows now. At the time me and many like me predicted how that was all going to end up. We are just at the TIP of the iceburg guys. When IBM sold off the PC business...maybe someone will wake up. Maybe not. Its our kids who will have to deal with the results of our generations ignorance and arrogance.

eric_271 said:
Lobo Check out the site I spoke of and make up your own mind. Guilty party's might have been a better ? Its no secret China is abusing its work force. The U.S. government knows about it and just makes threats to china to fly right. At the same time big buisness has a lot to do with how our goverment operates. If our government takes action against china's labor and trade practice it is bound to hurt american companies that have moved there work over there. If china was forced to import their fair share then they would have to pay the work force enough to buy those products. My feeling is our companies that have moved their work to china our government and chinas government are all guilty of abuse.

G, if it were only that simple.

Unfortunately abuse goes on everywhere in the world and takes many shapes and this even in our own backyards, starting with human rights (i.e.: African Americans or our native people), poverty, housing, education, labor etc. etc. etc.. How many workers in the USA, Canada and Mexico work in our fields for extremely long hours on a daily basis and get unfair pay for those 12 + hours a day. How many work 12 + hours in plants doing mondaine and many times dirty degrading work for unfair pay and are threatened to be fired as soon as they stand up for themselves. How many can not afford health care insurance or any insurance of any kind for that matter and have extremely sick family members that do not get proper medication and treatment. Yes it is better here than most anywhere else but we do still have our own problems.

Unfortunately it is impossible to police everyone and everywhere.
We can only bring changes gradually and leed by our own example.

Lobo said:
G, if it were only that simple.

Unfortunately abuse goes on everywhere in the world and takes many shapes and this even in our own backyards, starting with human rights (i.e.: African Americans or our native people), poverty, housing, education, labor etc. etc. etc.. How many workers in the USA, Canada and Mexico work in our fields for extremely long hours on a daily basis and get unfair pay for those 12 + hours a day. How many work 12 + hours in plants doing mondaine and many times dirty degrading work for unfair pay and are threatened to be fired as soon as they stand up for themselves. How many can not afford health care insurance or any insurance of any kind for that matter and have extremely sick family members that do not get proper medication and treatment. Yes it is better here than most anywhere else but we do still have our own problems.

Unfortunately it is impossible to police everyone and everywhere.
We can only bring changes gradually and leed by our own example.

Lobo It is that simple. Give the southwestern U.S. back to the mexicans, give the rest back to the indians or give them some big time payoff. I would be in on that one, my name is on the indian rolls in Oklahoma. And everyone els can go back to where ever the hell they come from. ;)

well im marrying and half indian lady. shes really opened my eyes as to the native american problem.
but the only reason the world is not run by tyrants,is the U.S. always stepped in an
preserved freedom,from the stalins ,hitlers an husseins that dont want the peoples of their country, or the world,, to be free to choose an pursue happiness. so in my book it was meant to be.

eric_271 said:
Lobo It is that simple. Give the southwestern U.S. back to the mexicans, give the rest back to the indians or give them some big time payoff. I would be in on that one, my name is on the indian rolls in Oklahoma. And everyone els can go back to where ever the hell they come from. ;)

Eric, I want to wish you good luck then with your trip to Washington.
Please let us know what George W. and the good old boys in Washington think of your simple plan to make things better. ;)

Lobo Not to burst your bubble or anything but I will be replaceing Bush as president. An iron fist is what china, india and a few other countries need to bring them in line. My plan is to replace most of the good ole boys with some new ones. Prehaps some that were not born into wealth and did not screw someone els to death to become rich. Unlike MLK I dident have a dream, I have a plan. :p

Lets see now, the population of China is 1 & 1/2 billion people, the population of India 900 million, combined that is 2.4 billion people.
Population of the USA 350 million.
Hum! What is wrong here ?

tony marks said:
......but the only reason the world is not run by tyrants,is the U.S. always stepped in an
preserved freedom,from the stalins ,hitlers an husseins that dont want the peoples of their country, or the world,, to be free to choose an pursue happiness. so in my book it was meant to be.
You are of course right, even though sometimes I wish the US intervention was done in a slightly different way.....

Just in, the minumum wage in some parts of china is being raised to 690 yuen a month. Compared to U.S. dollers thats around $80.00 a month. Now we can start competeing. Im not so sure a trade war is the way to go. 88,000,000 village people alone work in those factories. A trade war could starve them people. I was all wrong about this. $80.00 a month is a fair wage for that many people and that number dosent include the city dwellers that work at these same factories. No wonder Wal-Mart can bring us so many products at a great price. :dizzy:

A loaf of bread costs 2 Yen, a pound of butter 4 yen, a pack of smokes 2 yen, a quart of milk 2 yen, a bycycle 80 yen. Everything is relative, if the cost of living is lower salaries are equally lower.

Back