Chinese clonesaws

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
My daughter and I built this one together as a cheap project. Runs and cuts like a scalded dog, for now. I fully expect it to blow up sooner rather than later but it was fun to build. Put an Egan straight shot on it that added a ton of cost but what the heck life is short. Ha!

Attachments

• 60C57094-0C2F-479C-9A78-D4B6BF77E73D.jpeg
    60C57094-0C2F-479C-9A78-D4B6BF77E73D.jpeg
    1.4 MB · Views: 30
So whats the verdict on these , which ones are best ? , Are the parts and kits any better ?
As for the Farmertec I would recommend starting with a ready made one, as they are already ready made and needs to work as is - thats some "quality" assurance to begin with. I first got a ready made 038 before I made a kit, and I seem to remember that I was a little more satisfied with such as the finish of the crankcase and with some parts on the ready made one. But of course that might not always be true.
You should expect that there might be some issues that reveals itself within the first 10 hours of use that you might need to solve, there might not be - but it's better to be prepared for that rather than to get dissapointed and angry if something happens. If so, when you have solved any problems it will serve you well.
The most popular ones is the 066/660 and the 365/372.

Say Redneck, how does the fit and finish looking on that new 372XP PRO? Is it true it actually has the upgraded parts? Hate to say this but I may be looking at one......call me curious but don't call me Shirley.....

View attachment 960799
I have owned a 660 since 2018 and I have run gallons of fuel through it and even loaned it to my friend who has one of the busiest tree services in town and have never done anything since delivery. Mine is proven!

As for the Farmertec I would recommend starting with a ready made one, as they are already ready made and needs to work as is - thats some "quality" assurance to begin with. I first got a ready made 038 before I made a kit, and I seem to remember that I was a little more satisfied with such as the finish of the crankcase and with some parts on the ready made one. But of course that might not always be true.
You should expect that there might be some issues that reveals itself within the first 10 hours of use that you might need to solve, there might not be - but it's better to be prepared for that rather than to get dissapointed and angry if something happens. If so, when you have solved any problems it will serve you well.
The most popular ones is the 066/660 and the 365/372.
just about every saw i have ever owned had to be worked on , I had a brand new husky that was a pita , it leaked gas , you couldnt tune the carb to get it to saw and idle right as it was plugged and husky would not fix it or make it up , i know how to build /fix saws i expect some work to get it sawing good , at least you can adjust the carbs on those or buy a new one from amazon for $20 , for the price i paid for that husky i could buy three clonesaws that i can work on , i was interested in the quality of the parts these days , most of all the saw parts are made in china now but quality is another matter , i just need a couple of saws for cutting firewood and i dont have $ 300 to $ 400 to spend a couple and i wont buy another refurb pouland from a box store .

just about every saw i have ever owned had to be worked on , I had a brand new husky that was a pita , it leaked gas , you couldnt tune the carb to get it to saw and idle right as it was plugged and husky would not fix it or make it up , i know how to build /fix saws i expect some work to get it sawing good , at least you can adjust the carbs on those or buy a new one from amazon for $20 , for the price i paid for that husky i could buy three clonesaws that i can work on , i was interested in the quality of the parts these days , most of all the saw parts are made in china now but quality is another matter , i just need a couple of saws for cutting firewood and i dont have $ 300 to $ 400 to spend a couple and i wont buy another refurb pouland from a box store .
Then this is for you, no doubt you will be happy with it.
I think most parts are good enough quality. Everything might not last as good as a Swedish or German made machinery if you work it 8 hours a day for 30 years, but when you are familiar with a wrench and a screwdriver you will allways be able to keep it running.
I really dont need a 70cc chainsaw, and so I would not spend a 1000 dollas just to have one sitting on the shelf as prime real estate for the spider family most of the time. But I sure like to have one when I stack up on the sawbuck or if the winter storms have tilted some nice spruce for me to mill.

Say Redneck, how does the fit and finish looking on that new 372XP PRO? Is it true it actually has the upgraded parts? Hate to say this but I may be looking at one......call me curious but don't call me Shirley.....

View attachment 960799
I got sick right after taking down checking things so never got it back together and ran it. But they are now coming with the little o-ring just like OEM installs from factory now. Somewhere in Dec 2021 saws they started that.
The cylinder bevels I can see through plug hole were all nice and even around exhaust. The piston has super strong wintness lines like meteor pistons. Says suppose to me using those on these.
Went to the echo style tank vent.
The handles are more like OEM now. Thick sturdy it seems.

IMO so much better then the blue 372's I got in. I wouldnt even offer those after a few. Was so disappointed in those. Stock blue ones with their monster squish was pulling only 110psi and 118psi. Handles were weak.
But with little work those can be made into great runners too. The locals were putting different topends on them and I was installing a o-ring in them before they would leave my shop. IMO just cheap insurance. Some pass, some dont why chance it IMHO.

Guys running the pro marked ones say they are running great. One guy checked his and said his showed .042 with base gasket in for squish.

g372pppppporing.jpgg372ppp.jpg

So the storms this winter have given me two nice spruce trees, thats the deal I have with the land owner - everything that gets tilted is at my will.
Spruce dont get huge like Canada wilderness here in Smallwoodville, if it's "really big" you get through it with a 24", but usually a 20" is plenty enough.
I like Spruce as a build material, it's lightweight and grows perfectly straight - and it stays that way when it dries.
Now I'm just finished looking over my dear 038, dear because I have actually put some effort into it, it makes it personal and it grows on you.
Just got a new mill bar for it, probably Chinese made but machined solid and heavy - and perfectly straight.
It's .050 but with the same thickness, stiffness and weight as a Cannon.
RIMG0036.JPG
RIMG0037.JPG

Latest posts

Back