Chinese cylinders

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Huskybill

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
I just purchased cylinders/pistons I think there from China.(ebay). I noticed all the edges in the ports are sharp, not deburred or beveled. This could cause scoring on the ring/piston? You just can’t assemble it with sharp edges inside the bore. I put a narrow piece of sandpaper the width of my finger and chamfer the sharp edges. I can’t believe the manufacturer sent them out like this.

I just purchased cylinders/pistons I think there from China.(ebay). I noticed all the edges in the ports are sharp, not deburred or beveled. This could cause scoring on the ring/piston? You just can’t assemble it with sharp edges inside the bore. I put a narrow piece of sandpaper the width of my finger and chamfer the sharp edges. I can’t believe the manufacturer sent them out like this.

Good thing you are smart enough to realize the ports need to be beveled. Most DIYers just put it together like that. What can you really expect out of a cylinder that costs roughly 1/10th the original cost of oem parts. Chinese stuff is good, you just have to be the quality control!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Billy boy, do you read any other posts on here, or just the ones you write?
This little gem is hardly a well kept secret- sharp edges- crappy coating- bad port timing- oval bores...... they all get mentioned pretty regular on here when it comes to any post about AM cylinders from the PRC.

Billy boy, do you read any other posts on here, or just the ones you write?
This little gem is hardly a well kept secret- sharp edges- crappy coating- bad port timing- oval bores...... they all get mentioned pretty regular on here when it comes to any post about AM cylinders from the PRC.
h
He has been here for 2 years and over 5,000 post, what do you think

How can you be surprised, you bought junk and you received junk. Do not see your problem.

Next time save money and just throw ya money straight into the fire way more BTU's in doing that with cash than the rubbish Chinese cylinder will ever cut lol
Oh one more thing since you already wasted money I hope you atlest gave it a port job? Same porting as you do on your CZ dirt bike's back in the day work's good on saw's I think you were saying?

I’m going to save the orginal cylinder. Just Incase. The plating looks great on my 266 big bore kit. Besides the port edges need attention.

My Husqvarna dirtbikes I ported.

Ok I’ll look for oem cylinders but I don’t see any offered I have a 181 x2 and a 288 I want to refresh to leave the boys.

You guys are right I wanted to see the facts and evidence then I’ll pass judgement. There is no cheap way.

Ok after closer inspection my finds are out of two 288 Xp cylinders,,,

1, chipped chrome below the upper transfer port inbetween the lower transfer port. The after light sanding the bad chrome spot showed up more. If I drop the piston in with the arrow pointed to the exhaust port it fits. If the arrow is pointed to the side transfer ports it jams halfway down. This new am kit is kaput.

2, 288 Xp kit. The bore is spotless and looks great, the piston goes in any direction. This new am kit is a good one.

To a novice he’s not going to see it. I hope this helps someone.

That’s one good one out of two? A 50% chance of getting a good one. I don’t feel lucky. Being in a r&d environment inspecting new products made by sister companies this is my forte. It’s either good or bad.

My 181se has very little use, tons of compression but I wanted a compression release. I may put rings in it since it is a 1986 saw.

Ok the 266 big bore kit is am but made in Italy. The chrome job looks perfect. This cylinder needed chamfering on the ports. Inspection on the piston the arrow shows pointing towards the exhaust which is correct. But below the arrow is the pin for the ring gap. You can’t run the ring gap pass an open port. It will self destruct. You have to check everything.

When I tested a new designed 2100 cylinder for Husqvarna r&d they did the samething with running the ring gap passed a open port. We turned the piston around to run the test. A few dealers who ran this test didn’t catch it.
The new cylinder had better performance and gas consumption.

Back