Chinese elm clear cut and uses for....the wood.

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The pics are big to help identify the wood. Siberian? American? It is an elm and has lots of tiny aphids.

These are some of the smaller trees.

006-11.jpg

007-13.jpg

And the end grain of a stump and a different elm from the same stand.

008-10.jpg

009-11.jpg

How about Slippery Elm? The fresh cut end doesn't look like Chinese elm to me. The ones I see here have a purple hue to them.

How about Slippery Elm? The fresh cut end doesn't look like Chinese elm to me. The ones I see here have a purple hue to them.

I have cut a lot of Slippery elm, it has a lot smoother bark and a distinct smell. These are different than that.

I will take more pics asap.

Hope to get a few elm logs on the mill this weekend.

Just got a new 3' bar and ripping chain for the 088, to use on the largest logs that I cannot fit on the mill.

Pics soon.

elm

We used it on one wall of our living room in 76 when i built this house. got it from a old guy that milled it in 1955.Shure is puretty litely stained with oil john t

Here is a desk I made out of what I was told was Siberian Elm, I really don't know what kind of elm it was. I was told it machines like walnut and I would say that is fairly accurate.
attachment.php

attachment.php

I really enjoyed working with it but this stuff stinks like the barnyard when it is green.

Here is a desk I made out of what I was told was Siberian Elm, I really don't know what kind of elm it was. I was told it machines like walnut and I would say that is fairly accurate.
attachment.php

attachment.php

I really enjoyed working with it but this stuff stinks like the barnyard when it is green.

You do good work!!

I have finally thawed out enough to drop ten elm trees today. None very big, the largest is 15"dbh.....barley big enough for the sawmill. The rest will be firewood.

Back