Chinese Pistache Tree Problem

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tunesinallen

Reaction score
Hello All, I have a Chinese Pistache Tree in my back yard and for the last 3 years it has bloomed out beautifully in the spring and then the first or second week in June the leaves begin to turn brown and die. The this happens all over the tree not just one side or at the top or bottom. I have never sprayed chemicals on or around it. I have even asked my yard crew not treat for weeds under the canopy and it still happens. I water regularly but not too much. Not sure what this is or how to stop it. Any ideas out there as to what might be happening? I would love your imput. By the way, the tree never completly dies...There is some green leaves still left but the tree looks pretty sickly when it finally quits shedding.

Thanks!

Welcome to the site, Tune.

Pictures would be helpful. But while waiting for those, I googled cultural requirements to get an idea of what a pistachio tree needs.

"It is a deciduous tree, requiring approximately 1,000 hours of temperature at or below 45° F. in order to grow normally after its winter dormancy. Pistachio nut trees, generally, are suited for areas where summers are long, hot and dry, and the winters are moderately cold. A native desert tree, it does not tolerate high humidity in the growing season.

Plantings have also been made in Arizona, New Mexico and Texas in those areas that meet the climate criteria. The tree flourishes and bears well in well-drained soils, but its root system will not tolerate prolonged wet conditions."

So double check your conditions and see if you have been having weather patterns that go against the preferred.

Sylvia

Pictures would be helpful. But while waiting for those, I googled cultural requirements to get an idea of what a pistachio tree needs...

So double check your conditions and see if you have been having weather patterns that go against the preferred.

Syl, you might want to doublecheck your ID before advising. ;) Pistacia vera is the nut tree, P chinensis is the rootstock for P vera and also an ornamental in its own right.

But yes pictures are needed; foliage and trunk flare would help a lot.

sick chinese pistache tree

My 4 yo chinese pistache has a nearly dead main branch, one of three. The other two have leaves. Today is May 28, 2013. The large portion of bark of the main trunk completely fell off two years ago, leaving a denuded area about 1 1/2 inches wide (total circumference is 6 inches) and 3 feet long. I put tree seal on the denuded area. Could the tree be infected? Would an insect control "fertilizer" such an "Annual" by bonide help?

chinese pistache loosing leaves

I have a 7-8 yr old tree in backyard. First year it has produced the berries so I guess it's female tree. I haven't had any problem with early leaf loss until this year. Leaves turning yellow with black spots (not entire tree), then red and falling off. It is in the grass. We have had an usually cool summer so far, with cool evenings. Any suggestions?

I have a 7-8 yr old tree in backyard. First year it has produced the berries so I guess it's female tree. I haven't had any problem with early leaf loss until this year. Leaves turning yellow with black spots (not entire tree), then red and falling off. It is in the grass. We have had an usually cool summer so far, with cool evenings. Any suggestions?

Need to get yourself a soil test done.

Latest posts

Back