Chip and bucket truck mods

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
A “Cheauferer’s license”. Lol. Nice try.:laugh:

Is you picking on my spelling, or the class of driving license?

Back when each state had their own licensing system, if you wanted to be a truck driver, you were required to have a "chauffeur's" license. There were only three licenses available: beginner's permit, a regular driver's license, and the chauffeur's license.

Getting your chauffeur's license was a piece of cake, too. The written test included a couple of extra questions like stuff about how long something could stick out the end of a truck before it had to have a flag tied on it, and there were questions about the required insurance. The driving test was essentially the same as the regular driving test, but the officers were a bit pickier about determining whether or not you qualified.

I still remember each of the point deductions that the officer gave me on my Chauffer's driving test. He was a prick, and took the full 6 point value off my parallel park because I touched the curb. Of course, there was a very slight downhill slope, and you are supposed to park with the front wheel aimed into the curb. So I gently and carefully pulled down until the tire touched the curb (like the driver's guide says you should do).
The examiners were well known to never let anyone have a perfect score.

I did a fair amount of time driving across the country in a semi-truck, operating only with my chauffer's license, so don't be laughing! I can't help it if you are just a newbie and don't know any better. :dumb:

Looks like since Feb 7th of this year it's not quite as easy to get your CDL. All new applicants need to take an Entry Level Driver Training Course- even if you want to upgrade from a class B to an A. It includes classroom and hands on training. It's a new Federal standard for commercial drivers

Mike I would definitely leave the bucket truck alone. Messing around with the body is only going to save some minor weight. You'll definitely end up overweight. If you leave it as is you still keep the option for chips or logs. And you can even stuff that mini up in there with some long ramps.

The 650 I could see getting creative with. I would start by finding the empty weight and then doing some math to find out what you can really hold. I've read 550lbs per yard is the standard weight used for chips and that seems to be pretty accurate from what I've weighed (obviously sometimes they'll weigh more, sometimes less). And then LxWxH divided by 27 to get to cubic yards. I'm about to buy an older 17500gvwr f550 with a 9ft dump body that I have to build a box for. I want to fit as much as I can in that thing.

I personally think a mini platform behind the cab would be an awesome move if you're trying to condense the amount of equipment at a job. It would always be with you in a dedicated space. You could take one truck to a job. And there would be no going back for the mini. But if you're already happy with how you transport your mini and you have the trucks/equipment to do so, I think a big chip box would be a great option. Less trips to dump is a great thing. I'm really no help I think either is a good move.

Thanks for the helpful advice guys. Per your suggestions we've decided to keep the 750 as is aside from cosmetic touch ups. And then we will add a 2ft tool box between the cab and dump of the 650. The fabricator who is currently working on it is pretty top notch so I'm looking forward to seeing the final product.

It's crazy that the government would add more red tape and expense for an industry that desperately needs more help. I found a local guy who will come to us and do the class a cdl training for 3600 per person, which is apparently a pretty good deal compared to the national trucking schools.

I will have significant tax write offs this year!

Here is something to consider guys: You can be your own CDL trainer. Yep.
From the Missouri rules, quoting the Federal rules:
"Training schools, educational institutions, rural electric cooperatives, motor carriers, State and local governments, school districts, joint labor-management programs, owner-operators, and individuals may be listed on the Training Provider Registry. Eligible providers may provide training either on a “for-hire” or “not-for-hire” basis. Any training provider meeting the eligibility requirements could be qualified to provide entry-level driver training, regardless of whether they fall within a category specifically identified in the regulations.​
Now I haven't looked into all the steps required for becoming a "Training Provider", but I'll bet it isn't that tough. If it pays $3600 per head (for guys that already know how to drive), I might have to start me a driver's school, because that sounds easier than cutting down trees.

The way it looks is like this: you need to have two levels of instructor certification. A Behind The Wheel instructor, and a "Theory" instructor that has two years of work under their belt as a BTW instructor. So... it would take a fairly dedicated motor carrier to develop their own training program to get their instructors qualified.

https://www.ecfr.gov/current/title-49/subtitle-B/chapter-III/subchapter-B/part-380#380.605

From your link: (for a Class A CDL) "A gross combination weight rating or gross combination weight of 11,794 kilograms or more (26,001 pounds or more), whichever is greater, inclusive of a towed unit(s) with a gross vehicle weight rating or gross vehicle weight of more than 4,536 kilograms (10,000 pounds), whichever is greater."

That sounds like it goes back to my original statement of "any" combination of 26k+ and any trailer. Confusing, eh?

And in my state ANY combination with a 10k trailer is CDL A required. MORE confusion, as that is in direct conflict with your state's rules.

Now I'm not saying you are wrong, but it sounds like Indiana wrote their rules wrong. At no point does that text refer to Gross Carrier Weight Rating by that term, so they clearly are not following the federal guidelines very precisely.
Let's settle this "maximum weight without a CDL" debate once and for all.
Regarding the previous quote, the key term, if you read carefully behind the legalese of the lines, is that it refers to TOWED units with a gross weight of more than 10,000 pounds when the truck is above 26,000. (Emphasis added).

Here's an official administrative interpretation directly from the USDOT, so it's the universal federal rule that applies to all states:
Question 6: A driver operates a tractor of exactly 26,000 pounds Gross Vehicle Weight Rating (GVWR), towing a trailer of exactly 10,000 pounds GVWR, for a GCWR of 36,000 pounds. HM and passengers are not involved. Is it a Commercial Motor Vehicle (CMV)s and does the driver need a CDL?

Guidance: No to both questions. Although the vehicle has a Gross Vehicle Weight Rating (GVWR) of 36,000 pounds, it is not a Commercial Motor Vehicle (CMV) under any part of the definition of that term in §383.5, and a CDL is not federally required."

And here's the link to the website where that interpretation can be found: https://www.fmcsa.dot.gov/advisory-committees/mcsac/fmcsa-regulatory-guidance
Note that the link is a Word file, so you'll need Word or OpenOffice to open it.

And here's an industry source summarizing the requirements:
"For example, a truck with a GVWR of 26,000 pounds or less can tow a trailer with a GVWR of 10,000 pounds or less and not require the operator to have a CDL under federal requirements." https://www.ntea.com/NTEA/Member_be...GVWR_and_GCWR_in_specifying_work_trucks1.aspx

I hope this clarifies things.

So my lift trailer has a 14k gvw. Should be able to tow it without any cdl if the combined weight of the truck and trailer remains at or under 26,000lbs.

My question is what would be a good diesel pickup that has a gvwr of 12,000lbs or under? (I’m kinda partial to GMC’s with smaller trucks). I’m just trying to figure out what I should start looking for down the line. I love my 11,420lb Omme’s, but that class A bs is just too much if it can be avoided safely.

So check this out.. upon further thoughts, it appears I may have an under cdl lift towing combination right here on site!!

Last time I added the numbers up I came up with my old Chevy towing the (14,999lb) lift trailer as a few hundred pounds over. But it had been in the back of my mind that my old man had me register it as heavy as possible back in the day. (don’t ask me, I was 23). But I had a sneaking suspicion it was over manufacturer’s recommended gvw. Took a flashlight, camera phone and some searching to find the original gvw which I had carefully taped off when we painted the cab way back when. Haha, check out the math on this one!!

14,999 gvw for the trailer and 11,000 for the truck!! 25,999lbs total combined gvwr (or whatever). Lol.

I have been meaning to restore this old school bad dog forever, but now I have a reason!! Thinking maybe even a diesel conversion instead of the 454 I have that I planned on building. Pretty ****ing cool if you ask me!!
0C7D9CAC-C32D-4A17-9274-2E66E42BEFBE.jpeg4D3CB0F4-F918-40B0-A24C-1958A18A4C8A.jpeg

Just remember: The only thing that counts is the GCWR. You need to have your combination licensed for not less than the weight you are actually driving around with. The license bureau doesn't care about GVWR, but that Highway patrolman with the scales sure does.

Just remember: The only thing that counts is the GCWR. You need to have your combination licensed for not less than the weight you are actually driving around with. The license bureau doesn't care about GVWR, but that Highway patrolman with the scales sure does.

Yes, whatever, but do you see anything illegal in this plan? I get that a diesel would be heavier on the scales, but honestly, nobody has ever put us on a scale in our limited travels anyway.

I could always go with the built 454 like originally planned anyway. That would certainly keep it cheaper (and lighter). I just know that lift trailer can put up a fight towing it.

So a quick google search reveals an approximate 100lbs difference between the big block Chevy and the small block. Most of which could be negated if I went with aluminum heads, surely.

Yes, whatever, but do you see anything illegal in this plan? I get that a diesel would be heavier on the scales, but honestly, nobody has ever put us on a scale in our limited travels anyway.

I could always go with the built 454 like originally planned anyway. That would certainly keep it cheaper (and lighter). I just know that lift trailer can put up a fight towing it.

In light of my new understanding of the rules, it all looks good to me. None of my trucks could fit that. They come in at 14k - 17k. That and my 20k trailer says CDL-A

I'd just license it for close to what you plan for a maximum weight. It doesn't cost too much more for a little bit of extra weight, and it will make a big difference on fines, should you ever get caught. Check your insurance, however. They might be billing you on the licensed weight, at which point you might choose to gamble with a lighter weight.

In light of my new understanding of the rules, it all looks good to me. None of my trucks could fit that. They come in at 14k - 17k. That and my 20k trailer says CDL-A

I'd just license it for close to what you plan for a maximum weight. It doesn't cost too much more for a little bit of extra weight, and it will make a big difference on fines, should you ever get caught. Check your insurance, however. They might be billing you on the licensed weight, at which point you might choose to gamble with a lighter weight.

I only got two pounds or so to play with lol. Might need an aluminum intake and water pump too lol

I only got two pounds or so to play with lol. Might need an aluminum intake and water pump too lol

Nope. I sure hope you are teasing me with that comment.

What it actually weighs is irrelevant except to your license plate. All you need to worry about is what the manufacturer's labels for GVWR add up to. Be sure you are looking at the GVWR, and not the manufactured weight. Being wrong could get expensive.

Nope. I sure hope you are teasing me with that comment.

What it actually weighs is irrelevant except to your license plate. All you need to worry about is what the manufacturer's labels for GVWR add up to. Be sure you are looking at the GVWR, and not the manufactured weight. Being wrong could get expensive.

Ain’t no 88 Chevy one ton that weighs 11,000lbs leaving the assembly line if that’s what you’re suggesting? Lol

Back