chip box building

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gorman

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
I got this idea to build a wooden box on my F350 cause quite frankly right now I can't afford an aluminum one, but build a sturdy wooden one and line the inside front with thin sheet metal to keep the chips from eating away at the plywood. Whadda y'all think.

Also would you say it'd be a good idea to buy a warrenty on a powerstroke injector pump @ 25K miles?

Contact a sign company to see if you might be able to get sheets of Lexan from old signs. Lexan is bomb proof and very easy to work with. Until you build with heavy metal you'll need to have a wear strip for the place that the chips are blown out. I've seen chipper chutes and chip boxes that were eroded from chips blasting on them.

How about building it from mild steel. Maybe 1"X1" rectangular tubing corner posts with 8 guage or so panels? It will be a little heavier than alunimum but way cheaper and easier to fix anything should something happen. I think that it is better than wood also because as long as it is painted good it won't weather or degrade.

I weild and fabricate some. I see a possible weight issue. 1ton will accumulate faster than you think. Is it possible to buy a dump trailer and tow the chipper? I have done this and if done well it will greatly increase your profit margin. It will also be your stump grinding setup after you buy your chip truck. It dumps itself saving pulloff charges. I understand it may be more than you can afford at this time. If you are honest and your work is good it is a great beginning investment that would make a dramatic savings in time. PS. you must have brakes on every axle and breakaways on each pice of equipment. Check your local Department of Transportation if its legal in your area.

i would buy the warranty, yes. i've heard about the injectors going at 65 and 80 k miles.

and as for the wood box, hell yeah! wood is light and cheap, plus you can do it yourself. When I'm looking at buying something i always remind myself that i'm in this bussiness to make money, not to spend it.

Back