Chipper and stump grinders?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mstack

Reaction score
Hi all, new to the forum here and looking for some expertise in your field. I am currently a larger Bobcat dealer with 4 locations and growing. A large portion of our customer base comes from the tree industry and we are looking for some feedback on taking some wood products on. We are a primarily a Bobcat and stihl dealer, and think a chipper and stumpgrinder line would fit us well. Unfortunalty the big 3 brands are all locked up in our territories even though the support on some of these are scarce and some dealers seem to be dealers by default. I guess my question to you guys who actually know equipment better than us the dealers at times, and understand what your needs are better than anyone, what brand besides Bandit, Vermeer, and Morbark would you consider? Any and all help is greatly appreciated and I look forward to chatting with you all on here. If anyone has questions on Bobcat products, I should be able to help or atleast guide you in the right direction.

Hi all, new to the forum here and looking for some expertise in your field. I am currently a larger Bobcat dealer with 4 locations and growing. A large portion of our customer base comes from the tree industry and we are looking for some feedback on taking some wood products on. We are a primarily a Bobcat and stihl dealer, and think a chipper and stumpgrinder line would fit us well. Unfortunalty the big 3 brands are all locked up in our territories even though the support on some of these are scarce and some dealers seem to be dealers by default. I guess my question to you guys who actually know equipment better than us the dealers at times, and understand what your needs are better than anyone, what brand besides Bandit, Vermeer, and Morbark would you consider? Any and all help is greatly appreciated and I look forward to chatting with you all on here. If anyone has questions on Bobcat products, I should be able to help or atleast guide you in the right direction.
Is Bobcat still selling the A300 unit and if so what would one cost? Thanks.

Is Bobcat still selling the A300 unit and if so what would one cost? Thanks.

They do not sell the A300 any longer. Stopped making about 2010. The new replacement unit is a A770 which is the new M-series machine that still has the all wheel steer or skid steer options. That said, the pricing has sky rocketed and a new one starts off about 60K now and can reach as high as 70K loaded. The A300 was a great machine and can still be found used for as low as 20Kish for something well used with hours to 35-40K for a unit that is really clean. We sold a lot of these units so we are pretty lucky to take them in trade often. I think we have one or 2 now if interested.

the top 3 is about it but do you have any 66" used grapple buckets for sale

Top 3 only huh? depressing lol. yes, we always have used attachments of all types,,,grapple, harley rakes, rock hounds, stump grinders etc. We have about 300 pieces in our rental fleet so we sell used from there too. You can email me at [email protected] if interested.

Besides the ones u listed,,,,carlton, rayco, and shaver pto grinders come to mind..

Bob....:cheers:

You really need to talk to Carlton. In my opinion, they are the leader in stump grinders right now. They have a pretty darn good line of chippers too.
Jeff

I second Carlton. Do you know what the ground pressure (psi) on the a300 is with the high flotation or turf tires? I like these machines but the weight makes me think they won't work on nice lawns without making dents.

My Carlton Grinder has been good. Went up to the factory about a month back (about 3 hours from me) to look at a new SP7015TRX - they are building all kinds of chippers.

Getting ready to order my new SP7015TRX - thought I was going to pull the trigger before year end but I purchased a truck instead. I'd like to have my new machine right in the spring.

Carlton Grinder - purchase

My Carlton Grinder has been good. Went up to the factory about a month back (about 3 hours from me) to look at a new SP7015TRX - they are building all kinds of chippers.

Getting ready to order my new SP7015TRX - thought I was going to pull the trigger before year end but I purchased a truck instead. I'd like to have my new machine right in the spring.

Big Stumps - insted of getting a bigger machine, why don't you look into a faster cutting system for your current machines.
Look into AlpineRhino.com

Thoughts on Altec?

Proven designs, good prices, but lacks a stump grinder option. If you're ok with just a chipper manufacturer, I would look into woodsman/terex. Lots of good reviews.

I would agree with the other guys saying Carlton though. They offer a good looking product in both chippers and stump grinders. I don't know if Rayco does dealerships or not. They offer a pretty good product as well. I imagine you're gonna sell/rent a lot more stump grinders than chippers.

Which Line?

Carlton first choice as a business, Terex/Woodsman is not going to be something your going to be able to market easily and honestly they make products for an elite market, that is huge chippers for huge removals. I have heard both good and bad and poor results with dealer support. Salsco is a good unit for a chipper and they are not well known but are very well put together and are reliable and easy to service I know the dealer here in Canada who is now selling bandit due to demand and can get you in touch with him. Rayco makes an average chipper at best but they make a powerful and outstanding stump grinder, but so does Cartlon and they make better chippers.

Bottom Line:

Rayco and Carlton are good choices depending on how well their support network is going to work for you. Other lines are more obscure and may be more trouble than they are worth.

Welcome to the forums. I've been away for awhile and don't get to post much anymore.

I am glad to see Bobcat dealers branching out so to speak.
I have a Vermeer chipper and pretty much everything else is Bobcat; s750, 335, Toolcat, stumpgrinder, buckets, grapples, and so on. I do a lot of mulching but went with an FAE after owner several other makes because Bobcat would only sell its cutter with the forestry kit which I didn't need.
I would prefer a one-stop shop for everything but I know that it can get convoluted having too many lines.

Wish I could comment on brands whose territories aren't locked but I've pretty much only used or owned CAT, Deere, Bobcat, and Vermeer machinery. As someone whose had 12 or 13 Bobcat brand machines and an army of attachments, I like the idea of a Bobcat as a tool carrier and I'd push the Bobcat attachments if I was on the sales team. I realize that a lot of jobs don't have room for a CTL or a Skid but there are a lot of guys like me that work out in rural areas. My 20" chipper is often too big and too heavy to work in yards and I've been seriously considering a Bobcat chipper for the small stuff. I know my Bobcat SGX stumpgrinder takes on some massive rock-hard (with rocks in them too) live oak stumps and does a good job but I don't see many guys with stump grinders as an attachment. Pushing those attachments with demo days seems like a good idea to get the word out on products you already have access to. Maybe you already do that.

Back