Chipper hit van kills 3

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Ive worked in the town that the morrisons live in and travel through it every day. my chipper is the same color(asplundh orange) as the one involved in the accident. out of respect im repainting the machine a different color so if by chance im working in the beaver area the sight would not prompt ill feelings(im sure tree trimmers do anyway).

I have also had a sign & attachment made up for the infeed chute of the chipper when in transit stating that the safety fasteners have been double checked before equipment is moved. those who know of the accident in my area felt this was a good idea.

I also instruct music privately, many of my students new the morrisons, he was a teacher and a good one from what my students tell me(many paid their respects) & it is outta such that I the above.

be safe and take care.........................LXT

Trailer Safety

-Jason

The accident happend in the afternoon and it was overcast and damp.

The Phamplet you describe does not include Wire Mesh Utilty Trailers.

The book covers trailers that are enclosed which means the wiring is inside the
trailer body.

Because these trailers are over 3,000 pounds most get inspected which means at lest once a year somebody checks the lights.

The manufactures make them weigh under the 3,000 pounds to avoid inspections and Federal oversight.

The wires are exposed to the elements and the lights are of poor quality.

The book does nothing to tell the comsumer how to properly maintain.

In additon we have so many different types of trailer hiches at last count I have over 600 different types of manufactures.

Ron

You are correct but don't overcomplicate it by picking apart the pamphlet. With a thousand pictures of 'unsafe trailers' of those, how many times was there a personal interaction to bring it to the attention of the owner. The book does say, before towing, check your chains, lights and hitch.

My point is, most folks go to Home Depot or someplace and hook up a trailer and drive away fat dumb and happy without knowing the first thing about the needs of a trailer. Also, why put a 100 dollar tail light on a landscape trailer when its just going to get smashed anyway. Even a mostly armored light will yield to a bobcat. I get the cheezy lights for the boat trailer, why, cause they get smashed annually, usually by someone backing into the trailer when its parked.

Ron, knowing what you know now, have you changed the distance with which you follow a vehicle towing a trailer? I think my habits have me following at about three seconds, yeah folks cut in but I just adjust.

The main issue of the thread was that chipper coming loose, and the point seems to be that trailers are not dangerous but just in any business, some operators are very dangerous through practice, fatigue or even mere oversight.

-Jason

Ok So You want me to get you more accidents with chipper's

Here you Go!!!
You are now going to call me an almarmest. The problem is these things are dangerous and you don't care because it can't harm you. It hurts and kills people behind you.

A Department of Public Works chipper trailer broke loose from the truck towing it and hit a school bus, occupied by the driver who was sweeping. The 29-year-old Milwaukee woman fell and was taken to the hospital. The bus was parked on E. Capitol Drive east of N. Morris Blvd. about 7:40 a.m. April 6. The trailer hitch was found to be defective. The safety chains had become disconnected from the truck, which the driver, a 45-year-old Shorewood man, said happens sometimes due to going over bumps.

You asked for more accidents whit Chippers

September 14
A 20-year-old Eastsound man towing a wood chipper took a left turn too fast. The trailer hitch broke and the chipper flipped. He was cited for third-degree driving with license suspended or revoked; and for having an accident while speeding.

While doing research on Chipper accidents I've counted over 50 deaths due to the same

Either this guy is incredibly stupid, or somebody had it in for him...

TUESDAY, Aug. 15, 2006, 9:32 p.m.By Bob Purvis
Man killed in wood chipper accident

A 30-year-old man was killed this afternoon when he was sucked into a wood chipper while trying to shake loose a piece of wood that had jammed it.The man owned a tree service company working in the 8900 block of 26th Ave. in Pleasant Prairie, according to a Pleasant Prairie Police Department press release.The man was using his foot to clear debris that had jammed the wood chipper around 5:20 p.m. when his foot became entangled in the machine, witnesses told police.His coworkers tried to rescue him from the intake, but he was pulled into and through the wood chipper, according to the release.The incident remains under investigation by Pleasant Prairie detectives, the Kenosha County Medical Examiner's office and officials from the Occupational Safety and Health Administration.Police withheld the man's name while they attempted to notify his family.

Linwood man hurt in one-vehicle accident

Linwood man hurt in one-vehicle accident
Published: Sunday, February 11, 2007
From Press staff reports

HAMILTON TOWNSHIP — A Linwood resident suffered minor injuries and traffic was diverted for two hours when a dump truck and wood chipper he was driving lost control on Route 559.

Andrew Fox, 21, was driving the truck with a chipper trailer south when the chipper began to fishtail after a sharp curve, according to a Hamilton Township police report.

The truck and chipper traveled about 30 feet on the shoulder when it struck a tree and flipped over on its side, the report said.

After sliding, the truck and chipper stopped after striking a telephone pole, cutting it in half, police said.

Victims in double fatal crash on US 20 identified

The victims of the double fatal accident on U.S. Highway 20 in Pine Township on Monday morning have been identified.

They are Russell J. Dillon, 69, and his wife, Stephanie R. Dillon 61, both of Michigan City. The Porter County Sheriff’s Police said that both died on impact. It is unknown if the Dillons were wearing seatbelts, police said, but investigators believe that the crash was not survivable in any case.

At approximately 7:34 a.m., police said, the Dillons were eastbound on U.S. 20 in a 1990 Chevrolet 1500 pickup when it was struck head on by a semi tractor-trailer dump truck hauling clay on westbound U.S. 20. Police said that semi had ricocheted off a third vehicle, a tree service truck hauling a chipper trailer, after the tree service truck had turned into the semi’s path from northbound Ardendale Road.

Both the driver of the semi, Frederick D. Dakins, 50, of LaPorte, and the driver of the tree service truck, David P. Burns, 20, of Gary, tested negative for alcohol, police said. Results of routine drug tests are pending. Neither one was injured.

No charges have been filed, police said, and the investigation is ongoing.

U.S. 20 between U.S. Highway 520 and County Line Road was closed until 5:30 p.m. on Monday.

Police Conduct Trailer Hitch Patrol

Police Conduct Trailer Hitch Patrol
Survey Is Result Of Rt. 8 Fatal Accident
http://www.wpxi.com/news/10054100/detail.html#
POSTED: 3:36 pm EDT October 11, 2006
UPDATED: 3:43 pm EDT October 11, 2006

PITTSBURGH -- Local police officers are launching the first-ever roving patrol targeting trailer hitch vehicles.

Wednesday, they are releasing the results of the first day on the road.

This follows the accident along Route 8 in which a father and two of his children were killed.

The goal is to make sure trailers and other towed vehicles are in compliance with the motor vehicle code.

Find the dramatic results of the survey tonight on Channel 11 News at 5 p.m.

The problem is all the same

These accidents are all the same.

Failure to properly read the INFORMATION.

Failure to porperly hook up the trailer.

Failure to maintain the Trailer.

Failure to care about other peoples lives.

I know you are going to say nothing is wrong...

but the numbers don't lie...

we have a problem... these trailers are dangerous and the owners

don't care.

These accidents are all the same.
we have a problem... these trailers are dangerous and the owners
don't care.

Whoa there, ron.

take a breath, settle down, and think about what u r saying to us. We, as working arborist, are visiting this section of the site because we are concientious and interested in safety. Any one of us could pick ANY industry and list, ad nausium, a long list of, avoidable accidents.
We visit this these particular threads because safety is our concern, its our responsibility.
When I learned about this terrible accident I immediately replaced the chains for my, comparatively light, chuck and duck chipper. So, dont tell us we dont care, fella. We Do.

You may care.. how about the rest

I know you can pick apart any industry... The problem is total lack of evey
state on getting a set standard hiching, safety chains and quality.

In my state Virginia they allow anybody to build one as long as it weighs under 3,000 pounds. Every state has different laws and enforcement.

No training class is required to get one so my grandmother can go out tommrow with her pick up and buy a wood chipper or better yet a utility trailer.

You can even go to a rental place and get one. Did you know the number one loss in the insurance of Rental Locations is UTILITY TRAILERS AND THIS CLASS OF TRAILERS.

A recent study by Saint Pauls insurance states "Trailers ranked third in severity and FIRST IN TOTAL NUMBER OF CLAIMS. THEY WERE ACCOUNTABLE FOR 9 PERCENT OF THE TOTAL COST AND 30 PERCENT OF THE TOTAL NUMBER OF GENERAL LIABILITY LOOSES IN THE STUDY.

I know you can pick apart any industry... The problem is total lack of evey
state on getting a set standard hiching, safety chains and quality.

In my state Virginia they allow anybody to build one as long as it weighs under 3,000 pounds. Every state has different laws and enforcement.

No training class is required to get one so my grandmother can go out tommrow with her pick up and buy a wood chipper or better yet a utility trailer.

Ron, you are very passionate about this. Your passion for a federal standard would be better served recruiting signatures for a petition. We have existing laws that govern drivers and their tow. If u feel we need more laws or more specific driver training, then surely you can see the need to influence rather than insult.

Please, refrain from 2 things:

do not say the visiters to this thread "chipper hit van kills 3" do not care.
We care.
and second... please, do what u can to keep your grandmother from starting a "tree Service". I don't need more competition!

God Bless u all, be safe and slow down!

Either this guy is incredibly stupid, or somebody had it in for him...

TUESDAY, Aug. 15, 2006, 9:32 p.m.By Bob Purvis
Man killed in wood chipper accident

A 30-year-old man was killed this afternoon when he was sucked into a wood chipper while trying to shake loose a piece of wood that had jammed it.The man owned a tree service company working in the 8900 block of 26th Ave. in Pleasant Prairie, according to a Pleasant Prairie Police Department press release.The man was using his foot to clear debris that had jammed the wood chipper around 5:20 p.m. when his foot became entangled in the machine, witnesses told police.His coworkers tried to rescue him from the intake, but he was pulled into and through the wood chipper, according to the release.The incident remains under investigation by Pleasant Prairie detectives, the Kenosha County Medical Examiner's office and officials from the Occupational Safety and Health Administration.Police withheld the man's name while they attempted to notify his family.

Hello All...Hello Ron
I'm a new member to this forum. This is my first post. So forgive me for "chiming in" in such a way...but reading this thread...I can't sit back without adding my $0.02 worth.
Ron, I take particular offense to some of your views...but the above "takes the cake". For you to "make mention" of the above incident...is IMHO in poor taste at best. The above is an "on the job matter" and not even remotely connected to either the "spirit of the original post" or your views on "dangerous trailers". I would refrain from making reference to the above, on this forum...and also in your efforts. As an arborist...such events "hit close to home" for those in this profession. I'll post further on this matter...(for discussion)but at a latter date and time.

My understanding of WI motor carrier laws is that if you cannot see the lights of the towing vehicle, then trailer lights are required. That could have changed since I last learned it.

There is a movement to require breakaway switches on all trailers. The do work. If you're chains fail, then the trailer will not free wheel. This is much safer for everyone else then you getting a bit of a jerk.

Most chain failures are due to operator and/or owner failure, eg under rated chains, over loaded trailer, poor connection....

One must rememebr that the driver is ultimatly responcible for whatever happens.

I try to convinvce my clientel to use forestry tape on pins and hooks to easilly show that they are secure. Similar to the pins on military air ordinance. Quick walkarounds will show show that everyting is in order.

One thing an owner can do is get DOT operator inspection books that larger companies will use. Operators have to walkaround and check everything off before leaving the lot.

Trailers

First I would like to offer my condolences to the family. After reading the reports of the accident and the video my stomach did a flip flop. How many of us have done stupid things that luckilly have not hurt someone.

I find it frustrating that as a legal buisness I have trailers liscensed, insured, inspected and have to go thru random safty inspections at roadside stops. When I am pulled over I see Joe Homeowner blowing by with his SUV and small trailer bouncing behind him on his way to HD. He does not even slow down and the Police don't give him a second look. No lights and plate swinging in the breeze held on by wire. Or the boat owner that doesn't fix his lights because they don't last long because of the water.

To say there is a problem might be correct but to say that the problem is in this industry or any other industry might be very short sighted. I think most [ obviously not all] buisness owners try to be safe and follow the laws and rules[ it actually makes good financial sense]. Please if you want to tighten or change rules make it enforced for everyone not just buisness owners.

As far as home built trailers being inferior, I have made a few trailers over the last 20 or so years and they were far from being inferior. They were made to fit my needs at the time and were all inspected as to road worthyness before they were allowed to be registered. Everything here has to be inspected yearly as well.

Ron, I've read all of these posts, and I can't find anyone making fun of you. If you want people to find you credible, you aren't going about it the right way.

It's a serious subject, and deserves attention. You aren't helping your cause by equating disagreement (of which there has been little) with mockery. I don't see anyboy mocking you.

It has happend again.

Do you accept this??
Do you still think I am not trying to make a difference??
Where is the outrage???
How many more people need to suffer before something is done??

Do you think her 6 YEAR OLD DAUGHTER SHOULD WITNESS HER MOTHER
GETTING HURT???

But you still keep making fun of me.... If this happend to your wife would you change your
mind?

Ron, your bid for attention at the expense of these unfortunate people is sad. When did this become about you?? Stop embarrassing yourself.

Authorities To Educate Truckers On Trailer Safety

http://kdka.com/topstories/local_story_108143014.html

Authorities To Educate Truckers On Trailer Safety

(KDKA) PITTSBURGH One year ago, a wood chipper broke loose and collided with a minivan, killing Spencer, Garret and Alaina Morrison on Route 8.

Ethan Morrison, who was four years old at the time, survived.

Now, with the support of Spencer’s widow, Nicole, authorities are trying to prevent those types of accidents from ever happening again.

The effort, which involves city, county and State police is called Operation Soar.

Law enforcement officials are banding together to educate truckers and to crack down on the ones who haven’t learned their lesson.

"These people are on notice. These companies are on notice. And the fines may be relatively minor, but they're on notice they've created a dangerous situation on these highways, and if something bad happens from that, the ramifications, especially criminally, are much more substantial," District Attorney Stephen Zappala said.

Local trucking companies call it a big step in the right direction.

“It's always been one of our initiatives, to have safe operation of our vehicles,” Ron Uriah, from Pitt Ohio Express Trucking, said.

On Saturday at police headquarters on the North Side, crews will perform courtesy checks. The event is part of the effort that began along Route 8 after the Morrison tragedy.
(© MMVII, CBS Broadcasting Inc. Al

Latest posts

Back